Donald Trump

cropduster

You haven't made any points.

He has - he's made as far as I know accurate statement that the security cost for Trump, his family and retinue are multiple times higher than under Obama - and that right wingers critiqued Obama's costs while keeping quiet about Trump's.

In the big scheme of things it isn't that important, but it is one part of the jigsaw. Far more worrying in my mind is the gutting of science and health funding he's instituting:

President Donald Trump, who had just proposed slashing the National Institutes of Health’s budget for next year by 20 percent, suggested an immediate $1.2 billion cut to the agency Tuesday.

• Take $350 million from the National Science Foundation’s $6.9 billion budget

• Cut $37 million from the Department of Energy’s $5.3 billion worth of science programs

• Excise $48 million from the Environmental Protection Agency’s research and development budget of $483 million

• Cut in half the $101 million Teen Pregnancy Prevention program

• Reduce Food and Drug Administration staff spending by $40 million

• Cut domestic and global HIV/AIDS programs by $100 million plus cut the Presidential Emergency Program for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) $4.3 billion budget by $242 million

• Completely delete the $72 million Global Health Security fund at the State Department and cut other global health programs by $90 million and $62 million for global family planning

These cuts have big consequences. The US government may have areas of waste, but it is difficult to see how it can improve by stopping funding to ways to increase knowledge.

Edited by Chinahand

You haven't made any points.

He has - he's made as far as I know accurate statement that the security cost for Trump, his family and retinue are multiple times higher than under Obama - and that right wingers critiqued Obama's costs while keeping quiet about Trump's.

In the big scheme of things it isn't that important, but it is one part of the jigsaw. Far more worrying in my mind is the gutting of science and health funding he's instituting:

President Donald Trump, who had just proposed slashing the National Institutes of Health’s budget for next year by 20 percent, suggested an immediate $1.2 billion cut to the agency Tuesday.

• Take $350 million from the National Science Foundation’s $6.9 billion budget

• Cut $37 million from the Department of Energy’s $5.3 billion worth of science programs

• Excise $48 million from the Environmental Protection Agency’s research and development budget of $483 million

• Cut in half the $101 million Teen Pregnancy Prevention program

• Reduce Food and Drug Administration staff spending by $40 million

• Cut domestic and global HIV/AIDS programs by $100 million plus cut the Presidential Emergency Program for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) $4.3 billion budget by $242 million

• Completely delete the $72 million Global Health Security fund at the State Department and cut other global health programs by $90 million and $62 million for global family planning

These cuts have big consequences. The US government may have areas of waste, but it is difficult to see how it can improve by stopping funding to ways to increase knowledge.

Maybe he's identified mini-empires of the gravy train that needed culling and savings that could be made. You or I don't really know what the Global Health Security Fund really does and whether it is just kickbacks to the pharmaceutical industry or not. The global AIDS 'industry' certainly is and the FDA is certainly in the pocket of said industry so that's no cause for concern. Also a $37m cut in $5.3bn worth of science programs is hardly sending us back to the dark ages.

I would say the devil is in the detail and just because he is cutting government spending it doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

It's plain to see what has happened. He has upset many vested interests and they are conspiring to bring anything he tries to change to a standstill via the courts, Congress and through a concerted media campaign. Predictable, I suppose.

Sounds like a woo conspiracy theory to me. You've been watching too much Alex Jones.

It's plain to see what has happened. He has upset many vested interests and they are conspiring to bring anything he tries to change to a standstill via the courts, Congress and through a concerted media campaign. Predictable, I suppose.

True. One of his first acts was to tell the pharmaceutical industry that the US government would be paying the cheapest prices from now and not stick to the deals that had made some companies and shareholders very rich off the back of the taxpayer. I think share prices fell drastically on that announcement.

He's also appointed Robert F Kennedy Jnr to look into vaccine safety as well which sent said companies into another panic and with the cuts outlined above he's had another swipe at them for trying to resist his changes.

Many people would say about time so I don't see any real issue with what he is doing myself.

Sounds like a woo conspiracy theory to me. You've been watching too much Alex Jones.

No. Can't be doing with Welsh choir boys.

He's also appointed Robert F Kennedy Jnr to look into vaccine safety as well which sent said companies into another panic and with the cuts outlined above he's had another swipe at them for trying to resist his changes.

That's because Trump is one of those morons that believes vaccines can turn you Autistic...

The last time something big like that happened (MMR jab) public confidence was lost in the jab, despite it being utter bollocks and universally disproven (but that hasn't stopped idiot celebs believing it).

That's because Trump is one of those morons that believes vaccines can turn you Autistic...

The last time something big like that happened (MMR jab) public confidence was lost in the jab, despite it being utter bollocks and universally disproven (but that hasn't stopped idiot celebs believing it).

So you're a scientist as well. Amazing.

I doubt he's a scientist, but maybe he understands evidence.

We all understand evidence, it's when you have conflicting pieces of evidence that warrants further investigation. Which is why I think Trump has asked for further studies as the sheer number of vaccines in the US far outweighs other countries so it would be reasonable to ask for further investigation on the safety of so many at a young age. Are they putting corporate profits before health?

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1