FAT people

Manx Fitness

There are some really high calibre of posters (excluding this one), which really make the forum worth reading.

Chinahand, Wrighty, JW and others, even though I've sometimes no idea what they are saying, it definitely brings a good feel for here.

As for losing weight, I do unfortunately have to agree with some of what the opening post is! After all, if a nurse who is bursting out of the seams of her over sized outfit is attempting to scold you for being slightly overweight, it really doesn't come across as it should!

Having been there when this happened, I couldn't help but agree with 'the patient', that maybe she just wasn't suitable for this area.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notwithstanding the obvious nature of the OP, there is something in what he says. I'm a firm believer in 'practice what you preach'. It adds credibility to your message. I spend time each week advising people to lose weight and exercise - I wouldn't be comfortable doing that if I was fat and unfit myself. Just as you don't see many chest physicians or vascular surgeons who smoke, you shouldn't really have fat dietitians, wine-soaked hepatologists or couch-bound sports therapists.

I don't think lifestyle choices should bar people from certain offices though, but perhaps they should anticipate cries of "pot, kettle, black" should they stray into areas they could improve upon personally.

Notwithstanding the obvious nature of the OP, there is something in what he says. I'm a firm believer in 'practice what you preach'. It adds credibility to your message. I spend time each week advising people to lose weight and exercise - I wouldn't be comfortable doing that if I was fat and unfit myself. Just as you don't see many chest physicians or vascular surgeons who smoke, you shouldn't really have fat dietitians, wine-soaked hepatologists or couch-bound sports therapists.

I don't think lifestyle choices should bar people from certain offices though, but perhaps they should anticipate cries of "pot, kettle, black" should they stray into areas they could improve upon personally.

I subscribe to both the logic and reasonableness of your argument. It is therefore insulting to the population of the Island that the Minister for Health is such an appalling advertisement for what you say.

Bingo!!! Someone with a brain has finally "weighed in" and figured out what this is all about. The hypocrisy of some Manx politicians who talk out of their backsides. Also ever walked past the staff canteen at the hospital? There are some right fat arse nurses walking about. It does make you laugh.

The amount of obese and morbidly obese health workers at our local infirmary is disgusting and is a bad show. There are most certainly more overweight staff than not. How many sick days are the result of greedy over-indulgence? How many bad backs and many other weight-related physical ailments are due to a complete lack of self-control when it comes to diet? There is a gap in the perception of the over-weight nurse (and they are legion) who finds her/himself breathless after moving a patient the short distance between bed and chair. Smokers have been made to feel like pariahs and consistently frowned-upon for their 'bad habit', with assistance given to those who wish to quit but no such campaigning is brought to bear on staff whose fatal attraction to food and drink puts them at just as much risk to themselves and others. It is hard to envisage why such a disconnect exists when the costs to the NHS, of over-eating, is equal to, if not greater than, the costs of smoking.

Ironically, there is a framed poster in the restaurant (canteen) which extols, ''There is no greater love than the love of food''. No such poster exists which might give some hint of the dangers of this, ''no greater love''.

It is a flagrant and wilful denial...

Bingo!!! Someone with a brain has finally "weighed in" and figured out what this is all about. The hypocrisy of some Manx politicians who talk out of their backsides. Also ever walked past the staff canteen at the hospital? There are some right fat arse nurses walking about. It does make you laugh.

So only women should dictate policy on women's issues?

Only gay people dictate on gay issues?

Non-religious people dictating on matters of state and visa versa?

Out of interest when will you be presenting yourself for a full medical and social evaluation? You seem to think yourself qualified to judge others...are you ready to be judged?

Out of interest when will you be presenting yourself for a full medical and social evaluation? You seem to think yourself qualified to judge others...are you ready to be judged?

More misguided moral eqivalency.

Idiot.

Idiot.

Care to explain your response like an adult with a reasonable and well thought approach or are you just going to through out some terms and insults?

The point. <---------------------------------------------------------------------- You missed it. I'm talking about the hypocrisy of a fat person like a politician telling other people to lose weight. They need to sort themselves out before they tell others they need to watch their weight and do exercise. It's the same as Juan lecturing us on excessive drinking and then excessively drinking and puking on the bus.

The point. <---------------------------------------------------------------------- You missed it. I'm talking about the hypocrisy of a fat person like a politician telling other people to lose weight. They need to sort themselves out before they tell others they need to watch their weight and do exercise. It's the same as Juan lecturing us on excessive drinking and then excessively drinking and puking on the bus.

The point being, if only fit people can tell others to be fit, what right do men have telling women what to do with their bodies or rich people telling me how much tax I should pay.

I wish the admins could do more to remove sock puppets. I am willing to bet there are no more than 15-20 actual people logging on to the 50 or so accounts here.

Well you don't see fat people running around doing THIS!

(Which is probably just as well really.)

attachicon.gifpoopathon.jpg

When I see fat people running or jogging, I think what a courageous and inspiring person they are. It takes a lot of guts to do that in front of everyone and keep at it to better themselves. I have top level respect for people like that. What I don't respect are ones who get on their pulpit and tell us to lose weight and watch what we eat and then sit down and gob off on jammy dodgers.

Well you don't see fat people running around doing THIS!

(Which is probably just as well really.)

attachicon.gifpoopathon.jpg

When I see fat people running or jogging, I think what a courageous and inspiring person they are. It takes a lot of guts to do that in front of everyone and keep at it to better themselves. I have top level respect for people like that. What I don't respect are ones who get on their pulpit and tell us to lose weight and watch what we eat and then sit down and gob off on jammy dodgers.

Mmmmm jammy dodgers taste so much better than protein shakes.

You are a very angry person. Maybe you need more bacon in your life and less hammer of keyboards.

The point being, if only fit people can tell others to be fit, what right do men have telling women what to do with their bodies or rich people telling me how much tax I should pay.

I wish the admins could do more to remove sock puppets. I am willing to bet there are no more than 15-20 actual people logging on to the 50 or so accounts here.

You're still not getting the point. Nobody said only fit people can tell others to be fit, or I didn't anyway. I'm talking about the high and mighty politicians who get on their high horse and tell us to lose weight when they're obese. If the fat politician was fat and doing something about it like going down to the gym or running up and down the promenade to lose weight and told us to do exercise and watch what we eat then I'd be ok with that. No idea what you're rambling on about sock puppets for, anyone can join the forum and post.

Idiot.

Care to explain your response like an adult with a reasonable and well thought approach or are you just going to through out some terms and insults?

When I see you coming up with an original thought and not one based on your over-wheening populist idealism I might find the time to ellicit a reasonable and well thought approach.

Until then ...

Archived