More Over Spending

FCMR

About time the IOMEF is a out of touch group that do nothing for the sole trader, the only people to gain anything are the close knit group at the top.

Last time i spoke to the general secretary she talked to me as if i was not worthy of licking her fat feet, what a complete idiot, i know of a lot of good tradespeople that told her to stick it i did too.

No point being in the IOMEF because i never got asked to price a job nevermind get to do one but a select few got every job don't you think this is more unfair.

FCMR you know the score, would you not prefer a system where every company on the list had a chance to price a job in his or her own field making it more fair than what is going on at the moment.

Tool

p.s i have done more government work since i left the IOMEF than when i was in it don't you think that is mad, not even on the list but i get work hahaha typical manx cock up

I think I mentioned this to you before YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE IN THE IOMEF TO GET GOVERNMENT WORK. YOU NEED TO BE A GOVERNMENT APPROVED CONTRACTOR. The IOMEF carries out the admin of the Approved Contractor Scheme under licence for the DTI. Only about 40% of the persons/companies listed on the approved contractor scheme are members of the IOMEF. FACT

It looks like the DTI are going to correct the overspending by slashing the construction apprentices at the College by 50% next year

You talk some right bollox some times, do you know that?

What is actually happening (not that you are at all interested in facts, of course) is that last year, due to an exceptional demand from industry the number of apprentices taken on at IOMC was doubled for a certain number of trades. This year, again driven by industry, there isn't the perceived demand and, therefore, the numbers are returning to the normal level prior to last year.

And to the point of the List of Approved Contractors. There have already been some rather insightful comments from a few other posters about the reasons for the list being administered in-house.

And where do you get the figure of £1 million pa to run it. Cloud Cuckoo land perhaps?? As it happens, I believe it is being taken on without the need for additional staffing resources.

Personally, I think the list should be scrapped anyway. If someone deems that a certain company is good enough to employ to do a job, then who are the IOMEF ( or now the DTI) to tell them otherwise. Under the new CDM regs there is a duty placed on the client to ensure that the contractor is competent in the first place.

Here endeth the lesson.

You too can talk a load of xxxx, if Government gets its way more off Island Companies would be brought in to do the works, resulting in a loss to Treasury (a Proven Fact) The IOMEF ensures that those companies that apply have skilled labour and are properly insured, Thats something the Government have refused to do in the past, example the Villa Contract and the new Hospital(remember EPH Crowe) what happened to that enquiry. Maybe you could check this out, how many applications have already been submitted for work permits at the new Prison.

Why do the DTI charge almost double for the same H&S coarses that are run by the IOMEF.

And as for Building trade apprentices, why Have the DTI not been promoting the industry in the Training centre at Hills Meadow, every other trade except construction was on display in reception today

Why do the DTI charge almost double for the same H&S coarses that are run by the IOMEF.

They doesn't appear to be the case when you check prices. No surprise there though really.

And as for Building trade apprentices, why Have the DTI not been promoting the industry in the Training centre at Hills Meadow, every other trade except construction was on display in reception today
I don't know, perhaps you should ask them. What I do know though is that there are more people seeking apprenticeships than what places are available. So it doesn't sound like a huge promotion campaign is exactly called for.

I'm glad I cleared up your misunderstanding on the other issues though.

The government don't care about giving locals major contracts, wrong i know but that is the way it is.

What i want to see is a system where eveyone has a fair shot.

Say i was on the list for joinery and a government contract comes up and a certain company wins it and i didnt even get the chance to price it up do you think that is fair because that is the way it is happening at the moment.

What i want to see is say there is 12 companies in the joinery section each company should be sent a letter each time a contract comes up inviting them to price up for it.

Some companies will be too busy and not bother and some will price it up is that not to best way.

I personally find that most government contracts are all sorted out on a shake of the hand if you know what i mean.

JOB'S FOR THE BOY'S YUSSIR

The government don't care about giving locals major contracts, wrong i know but that is the way it is.

What i want to see is a system where eveyone has a fair shot.

Say i was on the list for joinery and a government contract comes up and a certain company wins it and i didnt even get the chance to price it up do you think that is fair because that is the way it is happening at the moment.

What i want to see is say there is 12 companies in the joinery section each company should be sent a letter each time a contract comes up inviting them to price up for it.

Some companies will be too busy and not bother and some will price it up is that not to best way.

I personally find that most government contracts are all sorted out on a shake of the hand if you know what i mean.

JOB'S FOR THE BOY'S YUSSIR

All Government contracts are advertised in the Local press, Corpy ask for interested parties to submit their rates at the begining of the year and from that they make a list of contractors they wish to use for the year, if you dont ask you wont get so to speak

They doesn't appear to be the case when you check prices.  No surprise there though really.

Rubish

Really? I wait for you to back this comment up. Please check your facts. I'm concerned you may be paying more than you should if you genuinely believe that. I want to save you money honest.....

I'm glad I cleared up your misunderstanding on the other issues though.

Nothing cleared up

I'm sorry, I thought I had cleared up your misunderstanding of the situation in regard to the cost of administering the List of Contractors, and your misleading statement regarding the number of construction apprentices.

I will explain it again if you want me to....

Archived