The EU Campaign Has Started

Barrie Stevens

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an idea that registering to vote in a UK election would potentially reset your domicile and therefore make your estate liable for UK inheritance tax.

Personally this does not affect me - and I don't care. Also - I am not an accountant and might be wrong. Perhaps someone with a bit more information can clarify.

You won't get a definitive answer on Manxforums about tax residence and domicile.

If you are troubled by this then best to ask an accountant.

The IOM Govt advice in its "come and live here" pack used to say it is advisable to terminate all links with UK ie Don't register to vote/Close bank accounts/cancel club memberships....It is all to do with how HMRC view you in the context of "Resident, ordinarily resident and domiciled"...Learned articles appear from time to time in the "Examiner" business section...Or did!

I just reminded myself that my EU/British Islands passport says that it belongs to HM Government and that it confers my right of abode in the UK.

Whether or not my country is part of the EU is, as far as I am concerned, very much my business.

Membership of the EU affects us all. The UK should give us the vote.

You have the vote in the referendum under the current 15 year rule...David Cameron has confirmed this....However, if you choose to live outside of the UK and have made that break then unless you retained a vote under the 15 year rule you have voted with your feet....And remember it was IOM Govt/Tynwald that decided to stay out of it all right from the start...It is a UK referendum not a British referendum....

The UK should give us the vote.

They did didn't they? But Allan Bell didn't want it.

People who go to the IOM can still vote in UK elections and referenda for up to 15 years if you handle it right and stay registered...I asked once and the UK lot said it was OK but the IOM lot said that I could only vote in one place ie UK or IOM....Not sure if that is correct!

I just reminded myself that my EU/British Islands passport says that it belongs to HM Government and that it confers my right of abode in the UK.

Whether or not my country is part of the EU is, as far as I am concerned, very much my business.

Membership of the EU affects us all. The UK should give us the vote.

You have the vote in the referendum under the current 15 year rule...David Cameron has confirmed this....However, if you choose to live outside of the UK and have made that break then unless you retained a vote under the 15 year rule you have voted with your feet....And remember it was IOM Govt/Tynwald that decided to stay out of it all right from the start...It is a UK referendum not a British referendum....

British referendum as far as I am concerned and, because I am British, I will be registering to vote.

I did make an enquiry, in the Isle of Man, as whether registering to vote would 'reset domicile'.

Case law applies but that was in relation to an individual who was living overseas but still retained substantial links with the UK. I.e. owned a house and other things registered there.

Obviously take individual advice but if you have genuinely cleared out of the UK then registering to vote in this referendum does not appear to be a big enough event for anyone to think you are moving back.

It is only the little Englander types that are agitating for a vote. You know the type, moved here to escape the influence of the EU and for our supposed independence. Now they want to ditch that and opt back into the UK.

You appear to be suggesting that people who want to vote 'leave' will get off their backsides and do so whereas people who want to vote 'remain' will sit at home with their fingers crossed.

Your notion is, as Mr Spock would have said, 'illogical'.

No, I'm suggesting those agitating for a vote are a tiny minority of the Island's population. The Little Englanders who moved here because they imagined the Island was a mystical 1950's version of England untouched by the EU.

The majority of Island residents both pro and anti EU are not agitating for the vote, because they recognise the Island's constitutional position is different to the UK's and we can't change that just because it suits our ideological prejudices.

But if we're sharing illogical notions you are asking that Manx residents vote to remain or leave a club they're not members of.

No, I'm suggesting those agitating for a vote are a tiny minority of the Island's population. The Little Englanders who moved here because they imagined the Island was a mystical 1950's version of England untouched by the EU.

The majority of Island residents both pro and anti EU are not agitating for the vote, because they recognise the Island's constitutional position is different to the UK's and we can't change that just because it suits our ideological prejudices.

But if we're sharing illogical notions you are asking that Manx residents vote to remain or leave a club they're not members of.

Protocol 3?

It's unfair to suggest that all those described in your first sentence can also be described as your second one. Although agitating for a vote seems a bit strong. Is anyone really doing that?

There seems to be a lot of ideological prejudice on this thread some of which appears to be based on logical fallacy.

That club we aren't members of seems to have a lot of power over us. I wouldn't therefore necessarily criticise anyone living here who wanted to vote to increase or reduce that power wherever they were from originally.

It's unfair to suggest that all those described in your first sentence can also be described as your second one. Although agitating for a vote seems a bit strong. Is anyone really doing that?

The actor John Rhys-Davies alongside and ex NF candidate in Guernsey have started an online petition, done loads of media interviews. Kicking up a stink on Facebook about the CMs of the three rejecting our vote. The actor is talking about taking it to the European Court of Justice. So yes I'd call it agitating.

There's no real logic to the Island having a vote because it has no effect, in fact, only one scenario would get the Island what it has voted for -

UK votes out; Island votes out - UK leaves, Island stays out.

UK votes out; Island votes in - are we going to join independently.

UK votes in; Island votes out - nothing changes. But had Island voters known UK was staying in, maybe this vote would be different.

UK votes in; Island votes in - Does the Island then begin negotiations to join l? Was that what voters were voting for?

I'd say wait to see what the outcome of the U.K. vote is then if it is an in vote hold a vote to see if the Government is to begin negotiations for membership.

If the populists and conspiracy theorists win the arguments and Britain votes to leave, the process of adjustment will define the rest of most of our lives. It will be a slow era of economic and business uncertainty.

All of the treaties and agreements which currently exist, the basis of today's business rules, will have to be renegotiated. And Britain will be on the back foot - negotiating with governments who will see Britain as a problem rather than a colleague.

And for what, ultimately? To put largely the same agreements and treaties back in place under a different name.

Archived