Electric vehicle charger obliteration. WTF?

Mr Bear

I noticed that the electric vehicle charging point next to the swimming pool has been obliterated in such a manner that suggests a vehicle may have driven off while still plugged in. How is this even possible? Do electric vehicles not have the ability to sense when they are charging and not allow the vehicle to be driven while plugged in?

The charge pillar is mounted behind a lamp post so it's not been reversed into like the other one(!)

Right now it's cable tied together with smashed up plastic and a high current mains voltage socket dangling out it in a manner that suggests internally touchable live connections. It's all very futuristic in a Judge Dredd / Gotham City kinda way.

post-34974-0-38683800-1454468600_thumb.jpg

Big Clive - I have a puzzling problem with a device that kills batteries & then puts them in a coma when you recharge them. We have a cat flap like this, it uses 4 x AA batteries, I used normal ones but they did not last, so I tried rechargeable ones, they too did not last very long. When I put the rechargeable batteries in the charge station they indicated impending doom (quick flashing) so I put them away (ready to dispose of safely) - somehow I managed to confuse all the rechargeable batteries so tried putting them all in the recharge station to test for broken ones... The bad batteries were back to life. What is going on here?

Big Clive - I have a puzzling problem with a device that kills batteries & then puts them in a coma when you recharge them. We have a cat flap like this, it uses 4 x AA batteries, I used normal ones but they did not last, so I tried rechargeable ones, they too did not last very long. When I put the rechargeable batteries in the charge station they indicated impending doom (quick flashing) so I put them away (ready to dispose of safely) - somehow I managed to confuse all the rechargeable batteries so tried putting them all in the recharge station to test for broken ones... The bad batteries were back to life. What is going on here?

Your cat is messing with you.

I suspect the rapid flashing just indicates it's very low state of charge, and if left will likely trickle then click into normal charge, sometimes they just need some charge before the charger is happy to charge them (also may sense too high and low temperatures if it's fussy !)

It sounds like the batteries may be getting too cold. When the rechargeable cells and some alkaline cells get too cold the internal resistance rises.

When you put them in the charger it saw their voltage shoot up too quickly and interpreted it as a battery fault or non rechargeable battery.

I'm not sure what the best option for "winter" batteries is.

Incidentally, the "intelligent" chargers can often indicate that older cells are bad in the same way when they still have a lot of useful life left. Sometimes it's better to use an old fashioned slow charger to charge the older cells to get their full capacity.

A quick check suggests that if temperature is an issue then the more expensive, but longer lasting lithium 1.5V version of the AA cell might be an option. It's non rechargeable but should hopefully last a year or more in the cat flap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231811426469

A quick check suggests that if temperature is an issue then the more expensive, but longer lasting lithium 1.5V version of the AA cell might be an option. It's non rechargeable but should hopefully last a year or more in the cat flap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231811426469

I recall a tale about folk climbing Mt. Everest, I think Chris Bonnington, that for his periodic radio calls, he had to keep the batteries in his pocket or warm them in a pan on the gas stove beforehand as if they were too cold they would not supply any power :lol:

Archived