The Young and their Bank Accounts

Gee Cee

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't really help that it is now a requirement to have a bank account and therefore as with all enforced things there's just no need to provide any service or value any more. Hence why the banks have basically used the money deposited with them as a piggy bank for their own infeasibly huge wages in return for zero interest or at best a token gesture that is well below inflation.

In the past there was a point in having a bank account. It's where you stored your money for future use, and in return the banks invested it and provided interest that at the very least kept it in line with inflation, while taking a percentage for their effort. Now any saved money loses value dramatically every year, so there's absolutely no point saving money any more. You might as well spend it on yourself instead of handing it over to other people to spend for you.

I'm no fan of hard selling of debt either. I thought there used to be a government and systems in place that were supposed to protect against such things. But in the case of the UK they seem to actually be involved in the fraud.

A staggering report in the Guardian today. A survey of 18-24 year olds, showed that nearly a third were "scared to look at their bank balance".

Has all common sense and reason really gone out of the window?

I'm the wrong side of 50 and I'm scared to look at mine.

Usually after paying my rates the last 3 or so years.

A staggering report in the Guardian today. A survey of 18-24 year olds, showed that nearly a third were "scared to look at their bank balance".

The majority of those that understood the survey (!!) were most likely students earning next to fuck all and living in debt.

It's not their fault

The majority of those that understood the survey (!!) were most likely students earning next to fuck all and living in debt.

It's not their fault

Whose fault is it then? the fu king budgie.

the young of today have no coping skills they are mollicoddled and have their backsides wiped that when something bad happens they can't cope. spend what you earn put a bit away each month for a raining day not rocket science

Yes, you'd have to put a lot away each month for rocket science.

The 'young' are in a very good situation. They can spend less than they earn and put the rest in a savings or investment account.

40 years (or more) of compound interest will provide for them if they keep the right side of debt.

However, last time I looked compound interest wasn't on the GCSE Maths syllabus . . .

Archived