The Young and their Bank Accounts

Gee Cee

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving the over 55's the choice to cash out their pension early and spend it to keep the economy temporarily afloat will similarly mean they won't want to look at their bank accounts pretty soon too. The middle class are getting screwed at the minute as well. So no-one likes to look at their bank much these days.

The 'young' are in a very good situation. They can spend less than they earn and put the rest in a savings or investment account.

40 years (or more) of compound interest will provide for them if they keep the right side of debt.

However, last time I looked compound interest wasn't on the GCSE Maths syllabus . . .

If only PSPA* hadn't missed this day at school, the gov pensions might not be in such a mess.

* Yeah, I know, they are only doing what eddie and his predecessors tell them

The real worry is that when we are all really old, we will be relying on these kids to look after us. That might involve some basic mathematics when they are working out the dose for our medicines.

They will also be running the Island's finances.

It is not an attractive prospect.

There is a "good" reason children are not taught personal finance at school...

The debt industry needs a fresh load of finance illiterate potential debtors to keep the industry going strong.

An external organisation is teaching finance in local schools.

Sponsored by Wonga?

There is a "good" reason children are not taught personal finance at school...

The debt industry needs a fresh load of finance illiterate potential debtors to keep the industry going strong.

An external organisation is teaching finance in local schools.

Sponsored by Wonga?

Administered by that big pile of Aladdin's washing and 'Kid's Company'?

It's a local charity doing great work in the schools on a range of topics across all the age spectrums.

Teaching about money etc is one of the programmes they deliver.

It shouldn't fall to a charity to teach the basics of self financial management.

It's a local charity doing great work in the schools on a range of topics across all the age spectrums.

It shouldn't fall to a charity to teach the basics of self financial management.

No, it should fall to the parents.

None the less the fact people are going in to schools and making a difference in financial education for local children. That has to be a good thing.

A "charity" teaching kids about money? I'm clearly not the only one who finds this a bit suspicious, particularly given that "charities" are one of the ways financial organisations evade tax.

Does anyone actually monitor what they're actually teaching the kids? Hopefully they're not being primed for future credit sprees.

"Ooh!" said Mr Bunny. "I sure would like one of those carrots, but they're far too expensive."

"Don't worry" Said Mr Fox. "I can offer you credit with an annual APR of 5000% and you can walk away with that carrot right now."

"Oh great!" Said Mr Bunny. "Sign me up right now and put that carrot in a BAG!"

The charity delivers a range of topics in school. Learning/educating on money is one of them.

" Does anyone actually monitor what they're actually teaching the kids? Hopefully they're not being primed for future credit sprees."

No, they just rock up and saying any old fucking shit that comes into their head at the time. <sigh>

Having seen the content of what is delivered I think it's really quite good.

I didn't realise every charity must be a front fror evading tax. Thanks for clarifying that.thumbsup.gif

Archived