Double standards?

manxb&b

Ok, I'm not a soccer fan, and I'd never even heard of Adam Johnson before last week. I also think child abuse and exploitation is just about the lowest and most vile activity humans can sink to. But would so much of a media and legal circus been made of this whole sordid event if he'd been a Muslim, or would it have been conveniently swept under the appeasement carpet?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad that Tarne made that post, although I don't necessarily agree with it.

The problem surrounding all these child abuse accusations, is we need to decide what we mean by a child.

The usual way of doing this is to set an age of consent. People under that age are treated as children and need protecting. People who have reached that age are deemed to know what they are doing.

Well the fact of the matter is - people are different.

As Tarne says, some 15 year olds have probably had more experience than anyone on this forum, and they are quite capable of looking after themselves. On the other hand, I'm sure that we all know some adults who are very naïve, and could do with some of the protection that we afford to children.

To label someone a monster, just because they have been making approaches to a 15 year old is just too simplistic.

There is no easy answer to this.

Child abuse? She's fecking 15, she knows exactly what she's doing.

I think if I had a 15 year old daughter I'd pretty much regard it as child abuse. He must have known what he was doing as he even Googled "What is the age of consent?". As for Manx B&B yes I'm sure they'd have done the same if he was a Muslim. Why wouldn't they? There have been whole child abuse investigations into much worse situations involving Muslims that have been in the papers recently (Rotherham etc). They didn't really shy away for publishing them because they were Muslims did they?

That's what I'm getting at. I'm not condoning what he's done as far as having a relationship with an under age girl, but when Muslim girls as young as 12 ( or less in some cases) are forced into marriage with dirty old men against their will and the government does nothing, then how can this be labelled any thing less than double standards.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/614083/Fatema-Alkasem-Child-Refugee-Brides-Netherlands-Paedophilia-EU-European-Union

I think if I had a 15 year old daughter I'd pretty much regard it as child abuse. He must have known what he was doing as he even Googled "What is the age of consent?". As for Manx B&B yes I'm sure they'd have done the same if he was a Muslim. Why wouldn't they? There have been whole child abuse investigations into much worse situations involving Muslims that have been in the papers recently (Rotherham etc). They didn't really shy away for publishing them because they were Muslims did they?

Those cases were in an entirely different league, no pun intended. They were fucking monsters who should have been executed, and yet how long were they able to get away with it? But if a 27 year old muslim had relations/marriage/ even children with a consenting 15 year old, which lets face it, is a situation that is rife, I bet the establishment and the police would do fuck all about it.

Remember this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1266664/Mandy-Smith-I-DID-sleep-Bill-Wyman-I-14--man-life-God.html

Bill Wyman and Wendy Smith.

There was another episode in the the 60's. Some American singer married a 13 year old in the American South, He was banned from bringing her to the UK. Cant rembemer the name. Jerry something..

It is wrong. Totally wrong.

There has to be a line. Take ex Falkirk MP Eric Joyce. He alledgedly had an affair with a 17 year old:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2113226/Teen-lover-MP-Eric-Joyce-reveals-clumsy-surreal-attempts-seduction.html

Older people have a natural responsibilty to nuture the young, to prepare them for life. Not to nuture them for their own selfish sexual greed. But hold on. What about this story, about a female teacher taking advantage of a male pupil:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568580/Woman-schoolteacher-love-schoolboy-led-bed-narrowly-dodges-jail-sentence.html

People in authority always have an opportunity to abuse. I think the UK law is just. It makes sense. And it protects the vulnerable. People with authority should be held to account.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/george-osbornes-psychiatrist-brother-struck-7353480

So... is it ok for me as a 48 year old married man to try to shag a 25 year old barmaid? Of course.

Is it of for me as a 48 year old married man to try shag a 15/16/17 year old?

No.

I'm glad that Tarne made that post, although I don't necessarily agree with it.

The problem surrounding all these child abuse accusations, is we need to decide what we mean by a child.

The usual way of doing this is to set an age of consent. People under that age are treated as children and need protecting. People who have reached that age are deemed to know what they are doing.

Well the fact of the matter is - people are different.

As Tarne says, some 15 year olds have probably had more experience than anyone on this forum, and they are quite capable of looking after themselves. On the other hand, I'm sure that we all know some adults who are very naïve, and could do with some of the protection that we afford to children.

To label someone a monster, just because they have been making approaches to a 15 year old is just too simplistic.

There is no easy answer to this.

He isn't a monster.

What he has done is wrong and stupid.

But on the scale of offences in that category it's at the lower end.

He has no excuse for his behaviour. He's a 28 year old man with a family. Even if he thought she was old enough it's not acceptable. And if she was just turned 16 I don't think it makes it any less creepy.

So... is it ok for me as a 48 year old married man to try to shag a 25 year old barmaid? Of course.

No.

Er...actually Allan, the answer to both questions is 'no'.

No.

You got me tweek. You are correct of course. As married man I should not be trying to shag anyone but my wife.

But is it ok for me and my mates to visit a brothel now and then?

No.

You got me tweek. You are correct of course. As married man I should not be trying to shag anyone but my wife.

Is it ok with the wife?

No.

Is it ok with the wife?

Yeah. She runs it.

No.

Ask your wife if it's OK? I'm she'd put you straight somehow. ;-)

Ok, I'm not a soccer fan, and I'd never even heard of Adam Johnson before last week. I also think child abuse and exploitation is just about the lowest and most vile activity humans can sink to. But would so much of a media and legal circus been made of this whole sordid event if he'd been a Muslim, or would it have been conveniently swept under the appeasement carpet?

It wasn't swept under the carpet in Rotherham.

It wasn't swept under the carpet in Rotherham.

Oh come on, the orchestrated exploitation, rape and sexual abuse of White girls, in Rotherham, Rochdale and other towns and cities across Britain, was, for years/decades, conveniently ignored for fear of the Police and social services being accused of racism.

What is it if not 'swept under the carpet'?

Archived