Brussels Attacks

Rhumsaa

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pongo, some draw parallels with the Irish question but I don't think there are that many. The Irish nationalists had/have a specific goal in mind which many think is reasonable and achievable without transforming Ireland into something unrecognisable or completely changing the lives of specific minority groups eg gays.

Radical muslims want to change society significantly and whilst only a tiny minority would go as far as terrorism I think many would like to have their laws and rights given to them because of their religion and beliefs. Whilst the Irish were described according to their religion (which in turn indicated whether unionist or nationalist) there was hardly any religion based ideology involved.

You cannot have rational discusion with a hard line religion because their way is the only way. I think there was much rational discussion in advancing the Irish question resulting in what we have now.

PS For those of us who can receive Irish TV, RTE1 have had a few programs on recently about what happed at Easter 1916. It is a fascinating story and it's quite chilling in the way they were treated. Edit 2 progs about 1916 on RTE1 tonight at 7pm & 9.35

One big problem is that previously, as in places like Belfast, the threat of lethal force was a deterrant. That is no longer the case. So the remaining weapons are vigilence and intelligence gathering.

Thanks to the EU borders are really porous which makes a difficult job even harder.

And theres the rub. To keep us safe from the terrorists the security services have to succeed every time. To kill us the terrorists only have to succeed once.

It's an impossible ask...

I've listened to former members of the IRA make it quite clear that the threat of lethal force wasn't a deterrent to them - they knew the game they were in and it wasn't tiddly winks - they were on active duty and knew the risks.

There's nothing particular about religion or Islam that makes people willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. Suicide bombing was brought into the "mainstream" just as much via the Tamil Tigers, a "secular" political group waging what it saw as a justified armed struggle, as by Hezbollah.

A slip of the keyboard. I was trying to make the point that prior to Islamic extremism the UK was up against the IRA scum. The last bomb they detonated in the UK was in 2001. The next terrorist attack was the Looney Tunes 7/7 suicide lot in 2005.

Now if you had a terrorist target that was heavily defended by troops/police, which it most certainly will be, the IRA might try to bomb it / shoot it up but only if they thought they could get away with it. The Looney Tunes simply think "Perfect suicide truck bomb target" and act accordingly. It won't matter to them if the truck crew get shot to shit, it won't matter to the truck crew either, and that's the point.

A fortuitous day for Israel to manage a total media blackout on this event would you not say?

Conspiracy people always seem to end up suggesting that Israel/ the Jews are probably responsible.

Whats more bizarre is that the Palestine debate went ahead @ 9:30am, with the blast being so close to the EU headquarters I would of expected it to have been halted?

"According to reports the European Commission’s vice-president Kristalina Georgieva said all meetings were cancelled and urged people to “stay home or inside buildings” following reports of an explosion at Maelbeek station."

A European Council tweet said: “Closely monitoring the situation. All meetings cancelled this morning. Priority to ensure safety of staff & visitors.

Despite that, however it turns out that the Palestine debate went ahead.

Did anyone hear about it yesterday?

Well the attack took place on the 22nd March 2016, if you multiply 2 by 2 by 3 then divide the result by 2016 you get 0,01190476190476. The 12th result (again 2 x 2 x 3) when you search Google images for that number is this http://www.cdn.tv2.no/images?imageId=6348380&width=667&height=281

Coincidence? If think not!!!!!

Where's my tinfoil?

Mojo: when mentioning 322, there was no number manipulation intended.

The lucky traveler in the newspaper article was called Mason, hes a Mormon, freemasonry created Mormonism. This is interesting to me.

the stinking enigma: the one glove to me is masonic also, you will not agree with me, but my first thoughts were "the Hidden Hand"....

From what I am seeing, is that as per usual politically ISIS has not made the biggest gain here at all.

From what I am seeing, is that as per usual politically ISIS has not made the biggest gain here at all.

You're on the same wavelength as me buddy, John Houghton is definitely gaining the most from this. He'll probably walk straight back in at the next election.

Coincidence? I think not.

Also John has the same two first letters as Joseph. Joseph Smith founder of the Mormons?!! You couldn't make this shit up, it's all to easy to see.

Pongo, some draw parallels with the Irish question but I don't think there are that many. The Irish nationalists had/have a specific goal in mind which many think is reasonable and achievable without transforming Ireland into something unrecognisable or completely changing the lives of specific minority groups eg gays.

Radical muslims want to change society significantly and whilst only a tiny minority would go as far as terrorism I think many would like to have their laws and rights given to them because of their religion and beliefs. Whilst the Irish were described according to their religion (which in turn indicated whether unionist or nationalist) there was hardly any religion based ideology involved.

You cannot have rational discusion with a hard line religion because their way is the only way. I think there was much rational discussion in advancing the Irish question resulting in what we have now.

PS For those of us who can receive Irish TV, RTE1 have had a few programs on recently about what happed at Easter 1916. It is a fascinating story and it's quite chilling in the way they were treated. Edit 2 progs about 1916 on RTE1 tonight at 7pm & 9.35

Sorry BB but I don't share your views on the IRA but then again the ******s tried to kill me when they planted a bomb in Euston station ( I got out with about 30 seconds to spare with a child under each arm) and yes there were deaths in that incident so they could have "changed the lives of a significant minority ............ me and my kids.

Some may regard those IRA leaders now as statesmen , to me they are still twats ( my first "bad word" in over 3500 posts... lol)flowers.gifbiggrin.png

I think you may have taken from my earlier post that I support what the IRA did. That is not the case. I never have and never would support, directly or indirectly any form of terrorism. Killing innocent 'civilians' can never ever be justified.

Whatever I think about Ireland and we may not agree on that, I think we agree about those 'statesmen' though.

No problem BB ,I can understand that sometimes it is better to negotiate with folk for the greater good of all and sometimes that involves doing deals with tyrants .

I have many Irish friends from both of the 'communities' but anyone who describes the deaths/maiming of innocent members of the community as 'collateral damage' is beyond the pale and when they are later described as statesmen/women I have been known to "go into one". laugh.pngflowers.gif

IRA were often going for "economic" or "state" targets and would give warnings quoting recognisable codes of impending attacks to avoid civilian casualties. I appreciate that there are exceptions. The Muslim butchers are out to cause maximum death and destruction among the general public in every case.

Woollley, I would agree that the Jihadists are out to kill as many as they can and the Irish fanatics sometimes gave 'warnings'.

A mate of mine from school ended up as the manager of BHS in Belfast and went through "interesting times" ( he also pulled folk out of the Abercorn Restaurant ) and it wasn't pleasant and he saw some other fairly horrendous sights.

I just think that atrocities carried out , by all sides should not be forgotten

Archived