Question For Rog And Pk

Bill Posters

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The island was used as a 'prison' camp for aliens etc during WW1 and WW2 (some did very well from supplying these camps) - the Calf was indeed suggested as a prison but in the Napoleonic war ! - dismissed as not suitable by London - no doubt its geological stability and almost zero population pushed the Calf onto the list of possible nuclear waste dumps..

As a part time resident of Peel and Guildford I think I can see both the attractions (glorious scenery, friendly people, less fraught way of life, clean air (generally flowing at high speed), quiet roads with the possibility of some speed even in my small car, fantastic walking country, interesting history and a very good National museum/library ...) but also the disadvantages - expensive transport to/from the Island, monopolistic energy concerns (eg my gas bill is at least twice that in Guildford), disappearance of the small shops that made it pleasant to shop (eg fish shop in Peel but many other examples), total reliance on one industry that is in all honesty parasitic on its neighbours - no doubt there are many others we all know in the governance - little transparency, easy pressure by certain individuals to 'bend' the law, very poor planning regulations which have seen too many historic buildings destroyed for the sake of a quick profit ...

I did read somewhere that one of the Conservative politicians, in their enlightened wisdom, had come up with ideas on how to handle the influx of Asylum Seekers coming into the UK. One of his brainwaves was to use one of the Offshore Islands as a holding centre, or rather build holding centres there. Can't see that happening.

Nobody's saying that the everything is perfect, indeed I agree our government is a scandal, what annoys me is that the criticism from some is unremitting and fails to recognise the good things on the Island as well.

(Hi Frances! Don't often see you in these parts!)

It was in the 1980s ffs...is it a slow news day today???

It's the new freedom of information act, there's loads of these useless 'facts' around lately.

Some civil cervant was sent away to scour the uk for uninhabited land, and came up with 530 spots, which were then obviously discounted.

To deduce from that that a government considered our island a dump is pretty far fetched.

Archived