Not a tax haven.

IOMRS97

You used to be able to go into the Companies Registry when it was on Bucks Road and look up such as directors' names etc.

You can't do that anymore.

The Isle of Man has become more secretive in this respect.

That isn't true.

You can go online and get any of that information.

Not true back to you.

Online (same as going into the registry) You can search by company name or company number. Ok, from there you can get the details for that company but you have to pay.

On the Bucks Road 'green screens' (and in the Tynwald Building before that) you could search by a person's name. Not anymore you can't, not any more...

So when I hear Allan Bell or Teare say how more transparent the system has become I actually shout at the radio "Fuck off"

Edited by one hung low
  • Like 1

I think the worry is over, Sky Newspaper review last night with Andrew Pierce from the Daily Mail, and Kevin Maguire the Daily Mirror mentioned the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man as Tax havens.

It was also on Sky News this morning, the news lady had a map behind her showing where these havens were, the Isle of Man was highlighted, now will that bring any more visitors.

Radio 4 has been full of it this morning.

Some interviewees were inaccurate in their facts, some more accurate, not that that matters, offshore tax dodging is becoming a hysteria.

One interesting question to a senior (ex) Attorney General or similar.......

Q. Is it right that rich people can legitimately avoid taxes by using dodgy offshore structures?

A. That is a moral question.

Interestingly he did go on to say that the UK could indeed shut down BVI, however it has a moral responsibly to consider the consequences as to do so would "destroy" the economy of the territory.

Am I the only one who thinks that his answer was a perfectly valid one?

You used to be able to go into the Companies Registry when it was on Bucks Road and look up such as directors' names etc.

You can't do that anymore.

The Isle of Man has become more secretive in this respect.

That isn't true.

You can go online and get any of that information.

Not true back to you.

Online (same as going into the registry) You can search by company name or company number. Ok, from there you can get the details for that company but you have to pay.

On the Bucks Road 'green screens' (and in the Tynwald Building before that) you could search by a person's name. Not anymore you can't, not any more...

So when I hear Allan Bell or Teare say how more transparent the system has become I actually shout at the radio "Fuck off"

I don't get what you are saying.

I can purchase for a nominal fee every corporate document I want if I want to find out the information you mentioned. There is nothing secretive about it. All the info is there and available to the public.

And I don't see the issue with charging for it. It costs time and money to have systems to place the documents online etc. Why shouldn't someone pay £2 a document.

Fine, you can have a beef about paying, but it isn't "secretive". The information is all there.

• Like 1

Not at all - I thought that. Justin Grieve was his name. I thought he was quite reasonable in his responses.

I think it was probably Dominic Grieve, who was the UK Attorney General between 2010 and 2014.

That's the one.

He did agree that the UK Government could (at least in theory) shut down the offshore tax havens, he seemed more in favour of changing the UK tax rules if the UK does not like the abuses - that is of course the right way to go.

He also suggested that offshore Finance Centres are a very good thing. I think our esteemed leader like to think of us as one of those.

• Like 1

Just heard imperfectly a news sound bite on R4...

Some UK big wig says that there is anger amongst the tax paying population and that....a possible solution is to make the "dependent territories" comply with UK tax law!!!...

Now I suppose the likes of BVI etc being all that is left of the Empire can go fully independent if the UK legislates over their head??? But the close in Dependencies aka Crown Dependencies like IOM and CI they may find it difficult and even then the problem of being a pariah will not go away...But what if London makes the IOM and CI an example they being easy meat in constitutional terms?...ie What's in it for the UK? Nice easy Brexit deal with the EU? Lambs to the sacrifice?

I doubt many IOM residents have the stomach for a confrontation and upset of existing life style?...So the angle is "What's in it for us if you do bring the Island into line with UK tax law?"....I would say that although possible it would raise serious constitutional issues such that the only way is for the Island to agree because if London makes laws over your head, especially by way of Peremptory and Irrevocable Order in Council, then all home rule is lost. It says that in books in Tynwald Library.

So, if this issue does arise I hope the Island has good high level Civil Servants to negotiate a deal!

Some UK big wig says that there is anger amongst the tax paying population and that....a possible solution is to make the "dependent territories" comply with UK tax law!!!...

Now I suppose the likes of BVI etc being all that is left of the Empire can go fully independent if the UK legislates over their head??? But the close in Dependencies aka Crown Dependencies like IOM and CI they may find it difficult and even then the problem of being a pariah will not go away...But what if London makes the IOM and CI an example they being easy meat in constitutional terms?...ie What's in it for the UK? Nice easy Brexit deal with the EU? Lambs to the sacrifice?

I doubt many IOM residents have the stomach for a confrontation and upset of existing life style?...So the angle is "What's in it for us if you do bring the Island into line with UK tax law?"....I would say that although possible it would raise serious constitutional issues such that the only way is for the Island to agree because if London makes laws over your head, especially by way of Peremptory and Irrevocable Order in Council, then all home rule is lost. It says that in books in Tynwald Library.

So, if this issue does arise I hope the Island has good high level Civil Servants to negotiate a deal!

For themselves?

The question is Barrie, what credibility would the likes of the BVI and Cayman have if they didn't have British sovereignty? None at all. Let's face it. The system has been set up by the rich and powerful for the benefit of the rich and powerful, and they want it within their control. The whole "tax haven" issue is not the islands vs the large countries. It is simply portrayed that way for expediency. In reality it is the rich and powerful vs the rest and the real issue is about how long they can hold the line. The islands are just the whores scraping a living off the crumbs that fall from the rich man's table.

• Like 4

So is IOM a self governing territory or not?

Wooley! Agree! But whores are their to be screwed and after a while they lose their looks and their charms...Then they are dumped in a ditch or retire on their gains?..I think we are at that stage for expediency...Folks now have seen it all and there are votes in doing something about the tax bilkers

Andy Onchan! Greetings! The IOM has internal self government aka Home Rule not independence...It is always repeat always under the auspices of London where resides is the final word..Only by convention is the kid glove treatment in place...(That's gloves made from real kids if necessary)...London has the power to over rule but by convention everything is sorted out behind the Arras so it looks sweet...But the boss is David Cameron at the end of the day...