Not a tax haven.

IOMRS97

None of the explanations in there are that plausible.

Perhaps the picture will become clearer once the data is searchable online - and assuming there are further leaks from other companies over the months ahead.

Do you think other companies will have leaks? I can appreciate how poor the IT security infrastructure probably is in Panama (or how desperate people might be to sell data) but elsewhere would be interesting depending on the jurisdiction.

Do you think other companies will have leaks?

I would assume that there is a strong possibility. A thing like this has its own momentum.

This is millions of documents and terabytes of data. It's probably taken a year minimum to put together. Logically another event would have to have already happened for momentum to happen.

If this follows the pattern of previous leaks and hacks the leaked material will very quickly end up online in a searchable format. That is possibly partly why British banks have been given such a short deadline to disclose any links with Mossack Fonseca.

These leaks are clearly part of an agenda based on the perspective that all data should be open. Which is a horrible idea.

The most interesting thing to me is that given Panama's popularity on the other side of the Atlantic and its known trading links with lawyers, tax advisors and business advisors across Latin America, Central America, and the USA not one U.S. Politician or business leader appears to have been caught up in any leak. The focus seems to have been exclusively on exposing the activities of Russians and other nationalities which are decidedly anti West. Maybe the European press aren't interested in exposing U.S. linked persons, but you would expect a provider on the side of the world that is also home to Delaware, Cayman, Bermuda etc, as well as Panama, to have had more than its fair share of U.S clients who would have got caught up in this mess.

Mean while are man from The Dept Economic Development arrives in China to do buisnesss. What timing!!

• Like 1

I'm trying to get my head around Chairman Bell shaking hands with Corbyn. Also Bells bullshit of maintaining links and relations with the party leaders.

What did Bell talk about with Corbyn? As the External Affairs highly paid and completely useless civil servants went along for the ride, did the record full detailed and minuted notes of the meetings? Who did they meet? What was agreed?

I think it's important we are told. 3 ministers attended each party conference - they can't hide behind confidentiality! I can only assume Bell saw Cornyn as a photo opportunity. Or perhaps he wanted to sample the nightlife each UK city hosting had to offer! Next time he spouts more drivel, I will find it impossible to believe him

None of the explanations in there are that plausible.

Perhaps the picture will become clearer once the data is searchable online - and assuming there are further leaks from other companies over the months ahead.

Do you think other companies will have leaks? I can appreciate how poor the IT security infrastructure probably is in Panama (or how desperate people might be to sell data) but elsewhere would be interesting depending on the jurisdiction.

People always think data security is poor somewhere else. Complacency is everywhere there are humans.

You can see a rush for improved data/systems security almost straight away. Can you imagine what might come out if the likes of KPMG or PWC got hacked....?

• Like 2

Will the Guardian now investigate its own tax arrangements? (Spectator)

Guardian media firm makes £186m, but pays only £200,000 tax (Independent)

GMG, owner of The Guardian newspaper, and private-equity firm Apax, bought Top Right, formerly known as Emap, for £1.1bn in 2008, and own it through parent companies in the Cayman Islands and Luxembourg.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1