Not a tax haven.

IOMRS97

I don't think Code99 is quite right there. Happy to be corrected. But this has gone through several ammendments since 2015 and just needs to include people who hold the position of senior managing officials. Not beneficial owners.

I think you guys missed this.

I don't think Code99 is quite right there. Happy to be corrected. But this has gone through several ammendments since 2015 and just needs to include people who hold the position of senior managing officials. Not beneficial owners.

I think you guys missed this.

The UK register is (well will be) more concerned with controllers than owners per see.

Well why shouldn't you? We're talking about the beneficial ownership of a company, ie. who benefits from it financially, why is it so unreasonable to know that? Judging by the last couple of week, it's is undoubtedly in the public interest so why not? I don't keep the company who I am a financial beneficiary of (ie. who I work for) a secret, I can't imagine why anyone would want to unless they were up to no good.

It's pointless. You've really no idea or understanding of things.

Well why shouldn't you? We're talking about the beneficial ownership of a company, ie. who benefits from it financially, why is it so unreasonable to know that? Judging by the last couple of week, it's is undoubtedly in the public interest so why not? I don't keep the company who I am a financial beneficiary of (ie. who I work for) a secret, I can't imagine why anyone would want to unless they were up to no good.

It's pointless. You've really no idea or understanding of things.

Easier to be condescending than defend the indefensible eh?

• Like 2

I don't know the rights and wrongs of this. But in the Parliament, the PM Cameron conceded that he would have preferred the Crown Dependencies to adopt public registers of beneficial ownership. Therefore it could now end up being seen as a test of strength - since otherwise he may be accused of defeat.

Most likely Mr Bell is taking the best advice available across a range of opinion and looking to get the best outcome for the island in a rapid evolving situation. But I think it would be a mistake to perceive this as the IOM vs the UK or vice versa. I doubt anyone sensibly sees it like that.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

The thing with it is, Allan Bell, Notwell etc. bang on about that we shouldn't have a public register but always fail to mention why? There must be a bloody good reason for Bell to finally grow a pair in his dealings with the UK.

You know that the UK says jump and the Crown Dependencies jump. It is totally inconceivable that they are now refusing to co-operate. Ask yourself who benefits most from tax havens and then realise that both sides of these "negotiations" are pulling in the same direction to reach a conclusion that can be sold to the British public, or at least allow the heat to die down. The idea of a battle between the UK and its territories is a fantasy. It cannot be a negotiation between equals when one can legislate over the head of the other.

• Like 4

I'm not under any pressure I can assure you.

It just bores me when clueless people like you waffle on about things they've no real understanding of.

I do not claim to know much about avoiding paying Tax as I have never done so. Just a little information for you. Canada is coming after the Isle of Man and has allocated 444 million pounds for the job ( this does include other Tax Havens ) although it names the IOM specifically . The net is closing and I may indeed be clueless when it comes to Tax Dodging but there are plainly others who aren't, and they are coming after the Isle of Man and this sickening habit, which surely does the Islands reputation no good at all with decent and honest people, of whom there are gladly still many.

• Like 2

I'm not under any pressure I can assure you.

It just bores me when clueless people like you waffle on about things they've no real understanding of.

I do not claim to know much about avoiding paying Tax as I have never done so. Just a little information for you. Canada is coming after the Isle of Man and has allocated 444 million pounds for the job ( this does include other Tax Havens ) although it names the IOM specifically . The net is closing and I may indeed be clueless when it comes to Tax Dodging but there are plainly others who aren't, and they are coming after the Isle of Man and this sickening habit, which surely does the Islands reputation no good at all with decent and honest people, of whom there are gladly still many.

Canada are going to be deeply disappointed I suspect.

What exactly is "sickening" by the way?

In relation to what has happened in Canada KPMG etc put together structures that were perfectly legal. And they've used other locations too. The location wasn't hugely important. The rules that KPMG et al worked to allowed them to do it.

You need to move away from thinking that it is dishonest to arrange your tax position in the most efficient way possible. It isn't a moral issue. It's a legal one.

• Like 1