Not a tax haven.

IOMRS97

Maybe we should start a 'Tax Engagement' sector, where people pay more tax than they need to, and government's can just piss it all away without any questions.

Damn. I just found out 89,055 governments, including ours, beat me to that idea already.

Well, perhaps a well-regulated offshore financial centre? It is disheartening to see the criticism from locals of a sector they do not understand, but are happy to jump on a bandwagon of ignorance, while benefiting from the economic advantages it brings.

Correct. It's fashionable to hate what, rightly or wrongly, has made everyone's life that little bit more hassle free over the last 20 years. Now that it's not plugging the gap properly people feel quite justified in hating it even more as they need to try harder to keep up with the effect the burn rate of the public sector is having on public finances.

Well, perhaps a well-regulated offshore financial centre? It is disheartening to see the criticism from locals of a sector they do not understand, but are happy to jump on a bandwagon of ignorance, while benefiting from the economic advantages it brings.

Correct. It's fashionable to hate what, rightly or wrongly, has made everyone's life that little bit more hassle free over the last 20 years. Now that it's not plugging the gap properly people feel quite justified in hating it even more as they need to try harder to keep up with the effect the burn rate of the public sector is having on public finances.

Of course. It is a tax haven though. It is ludicrous to suggest otherwise. Low taxes. Tax cap. Place where you can form structures to mitigate taxes. But it's not a tax haven? OK it discourages dirty money by tight supervision, but it's still a tax haven. There are degrees.

And it's all with the connivance of the UK:

From the Guardian. "The public registries agreement followed years of hard negotiations with largely resistant overseas territory administrations, but the partial deal is seen by campaigners as a blot on the effort to keep Britain at the forefront of the anti-corruption campaign."

For goodness sake, they are the boss. What they say goes. Does anyone buy this "kicking and screaming" stuff?

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

I don't get where you're coming from Woolley are you drunk? This is all a political game. The stand off has happened and the end result is that we're a bit bad. But that also we've been persuaded to be less bad by the powers that be. Who are bad. But their tax returns sort of show that they're not bad. But only if you dont look at what they've put in the public domain too hard.

I notice Chairman Bell took himself off to London to secure his retirement Knighthood after signing away the right to privacy whilst his fellow parliamentarians were sat in Tynwald oblivious to what he was up to, or probably even where he was.

Was such a dramatic change to one of the biggest parts of our economy not worthy of a debate or at least engaging with Tynwald and chewing the fat before signing on the dotted line?

I'm not saying that we are not doing the right thing - the truth is I don't know the impact, but it seems peculiar to me that one person can decide to jump on a plane at almost a whim.....

Has Tynwald turned into a committee of one?

I notice Chairman Bell took himself off to London to secure his retirement Knighthood after signing away the right to privacy whilst his fellow parliamentarians were sat in Tynwald oblivious to what he was up to, or probably even where he was.

Was such a dramatic change to one of the biggest parts of our economy not worthy of a debate or at least engaging with Tynwald and chewing the fat before signing on the dotted line?

I'm not saying that we are not doing the right thing - the truth is I don't know the impact, but it seems peculiar to me that one person can decide to jump on a plane at almost a whim.....

Has Tynwald turned into a committee of one?

Yes, collected his Knightdood and Fucked the Golden Goose (The Finance Industry)

What a f*cking idiot

who is actually credited with with setting up the isle of man as an offshore financial centre in the first place? i mean no offence but i doubt it was a manxperson in reality

I think it's was mixture of John North and John Webster who saw the exempt acts through.

Wasn't John Bolton given a lot of credit for this. A man who came to the Isle of Man with very little but spied the fortune, and wormed his way right in.

There is a saying never ask a millionaire how he made his first thousand. In some cases I would say never ask him how he made his first million.

Edited by one hung low