Not a tax haven.

IOMRS97

who is actually credited with with setting up the isle of man as an offshore financial centre in the first place? i mean no offence but i doubt it was a manxperson in reality

Certainly not anybody in the Isle of Man. Abolition of surtax and release of control over the Islands finances by the UK Treasury was the start.

Who's idea? That would be telling!

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1961/feb/08/surtax

• Like 1

Well, perhaps a well-regulated offshore financial centre? It is disheartening to see the criticism from locals of a sector they do not understand, but are happy to jump on a bandwagon of ignorance, while benefiting from the economic advantages it brings.

Correct. It's fashionable to hate what, rightly or wrongly, has made everyone's life that little bit more hassle free over the last 20 years. Now that it's not plugging the gap properly people feel quite justified in hating it even more as they need to try harder to keep up with the effect the burn rate of the public sector is having on public finances.

Well it isn't that is ceases to plug a gap. I'd hazard a guess that the finance sector in totality is generating plenty.

It's simply that government haven't addressed it's own house as the private sector has had to.

Whilst the private sector has concentrated on reducing and containing costs the civil service has barely scratched the surface.

• Like 4

I don't get where you're coming from Woolley are you drunk? This is all a political game. The stand off has happened and the end result is that we're a bit bad. But that also we've been persuaded to be less bad by the powers that be. Who are bad. But their tax returns sort of show that they're not bad. But only if you dont look at what they've put in the public domain too hard.

Well that's what I'm saying really. I don't see anything contradictory there. You are saying similar. It's a fantasy. Are you drunk too?

I don't get where you're coming from Woolley are you drunk? This is all a political game. The stand off has happened and the end result is that we're a bit bad. But that also we've been persuaded to be less bad by the powers that be. Who are bad. But their tax returns sort of show that they're not bad. But only if you dont look at what they've put in the public domain too hard.

Well that's what I'm saying really. I don't see anything contradictory there. You are saying similar. It's a fantasy. Are you drunk too?

Yes.

• Like 1

Interesting to read from Govt that one of the reasons the Govt operated Post Office can't move forward without corporatisation is "the Civil Service ethos"...

• Like 1

Interesting to read from Govt that one of the reasons the Govt operated Post Office can't move forward without corporatisation is "the Civil Service ethos"...

Yes, the ethos that means those at the top can't get paid anymore unless they follow a corporate model where the pay structures aren't tied to cs pay structure. Meanwhile posties go on minimum wage...

What is it they want do at IOM Post which they can't do at the moment?

Operate at a profit?

Indeed. Post is regular and reliable. Trouble is, they are duty bound to pay Treasury £2M a year regardless. So privatise and get rid of those pesky pensions and conditions?

Operate at a profit?
They do.https://www.iompost.com/about/annual-review-and-accounts/

And they have to give Government £2 million.

In defence of ‘tax havens’: offshore banking is not the same as dodgy dealing - The Guardian

Providing some balance.

Most international financial centres are now well regulated and transparent, and the global financial services sector provides a much needed and in-demand service for individuals, businesses, organisations and charities all over the world. It is a sector that is set to grow exponentially as the world becomes increasingly globalised.