Not a tax haven.

IOMRS97

Our esteemed leader was just on the radio warning of the next attack.

He says the OECD is now looking at tax rates.

I suspect that they are referring to Corporate rates (which can be seen a harmful internationally) and not personal tax rates. Anyone here have any insight or more detailed info to this?

I suspect that they are referring to Corporate rates (which can be seen a harmful internationally) and not personal tax rates. Anyone here have any insight or more detailed info to this?

It's no wonder the OECD want everyone to pay their fair share.... just look at 2014's accounts:

http://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=BC%282015%2913&docLanguage=en

With total Employee Benefits exceeding EUR2.0 billion and annual operating expenses in excess EUR600 million of it's no wonder they're keen to chase member states. Talk about jobs for the boys!

If it were me I'd tell 'em to GFY!

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 3

Our ' esteemed ' ( by himself ) leader sounds less and less confident by the day, or as he nears the end of his tenure. It seems that ' Tax Havens are to be ' redefined ' and there's a ( good ) chance that our Island may not escape this one. So there's a good chance that a few more ' Present Members ' may be leaving the sinking boat. However flights to Australia ( one- way ) should be okay. Nothing to laugh about it will be the MANX who will be left to pay the bills and find another way , if the Tax Evasion boys finally catch up with us.

No problem for you and yours, yesterday the only Papers available in my Newsagents were The Sun, The Mail and The Telegraph, so the ' Important People ' on the Island would have had their DAILY RIGHT WING FIX. all is well. !

It's no wonder the OECD want everyone to pay their fair share.... just look at 2014's accounts:

http://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=BC%282015%2913&docLanguage=en

With total Employee Benefits exceeding EUR2.0 billion and annual operating expenses in excess EUR600 million of it's no wonder they're keen to chase member states. Talk about jobs for the boys!

The quango to end all quangos. Maybe someone should do an audit visit on them.

Guest MrFunk

This (and worse) has been coming for a while. The Isle of Man needs to decide what it wants to be because frankly spreading it's cheeks at every whim of the OECD, G5 or anybody else for that matter is not going to get us anywhere. It's almost as if bending over is a natural state for most of our government? Look at the jurisdictions that couldn't give a crap about being placed on a grey or black list, it's not exactly destroyed their economies. And those white listed, are they seeing a massive boom in inward investment? Nope. Almost the opposite. For all the bad press that other jurisdictions have been getting for YEARS it's not made a blind bit of difference what list you are on.

The truth is nothing is going to satisfy those with an agenda until the GDP of the IOM is equivalent to that of a small northern town. The island either bends to their will or says fuck 'em.

So do you see the IOM telling the UK to tell the OECD to go to hell? Me neither. Not gonna happen. In fact it can't happen under the current constitutional arrangements.

You are right though, inasmuch as the IOM needs to decide what it wants to be.

Edited by woolley

Our ' esteemed ' ( by himself ) leader sounds less and less confident by the day, or as he nears the end of his tenure. It seems that ' Tax Havens are to be ' redefined ' and there's a ( good ) chance that our Island may not escape this one. So there's a good chance that a few more ' Present Members ' may be leaving the sinking boat. However flights to Australia ( one- way ) should be okay. Nothing to laugh about it will be the MANX who will be left to pay the bills and find another way , if the Tax Evasion boys finally catch up with us.

Is there nothing you can't reduce down to some simplistic, tired, old argument about class even down to the type of papers people read (above)? Many people who work in the finance sector are Manx. It is not especially an imported labour industry as you seem to, misguidedly, think. Many are just local people paying local mortgages and spending all their money locally. It won't be that funny if it all comes to an abrupt end believe me as many people won't be moving anywhere else. They'll just be paying no tax on their non jobs and the IOMG balance sheet and cash flow position will look even worse than it does now which will affect everyone.

Edited by thesultanofsheight

I suspect that they are referring to Corporate rates (which can be seen a harmful internationally) and not personal tax rates.

You can't take these in isolation though. If you scrap zero/10 for corporates how long do you think low personal rates would last? Not long!

http://www.oecd.org/officialdocuments/publicdisplaydocumentpdf/?cote=BC(2015)13&docLanguage=en

That's a good post. They're no different than IOMG in that their just over paid pen pushers looking for other people to pay for their non income producing non productive pen pushing.

No problem for you and yours, yesterday the only Papers available in my Newsagents were The Sun, The Mail and The Telegraph, so the ' Important People ' on the Island would have had their DAILY RIGHT WING FIX. all is well. !

I read them all,perspective.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that we can set personal tax rates/allowances however we like, no matter how unfair or otherwise it may seem. I really cant see how the OECD can tell us that 20% (say) is too low and must be increased, or that the tax cap it not reasonable, even if they are right.

I can see them getting pissed off with the 0/10 regime and similar schemes in Ireland, Luxembourg etc which are designed to attract companies merely for the tax rates.

I can see them getting pissed off with the 0/10 regime and similar schemes in Ireland, Luxembourg etc which are designed to attract companies merely for the tax rates.

That's the crux of course. What other levers do you have to pull as an Island with no other economic attractions and a whole load of cost implications. If you can't offer tax incentives, there isn't a whole lot left.

• Like 1