Got HM Govt pro-EU booklet today in post

Barrie Stevens

I have just received my portion of the £9 million pro-EU booklet programme announced by UK Govt recently...They make a convincing case to stay in based on the unpredictable upheaval and doubt caused by leaving...

Looking at the situation of the UK if it leaves under present circumstances the predicted result seems uncannily like that of the Isle of Man..."In" for trade..."Out" to some extent for services which UK says makes up 80% of its economy..They do not say if this includes financial services which is a limitation placed on the Isle of Man and which limits its financial services in the EU...

The Island does not pay into the EU but it follows loads of relevant EU laws and directives in various ways..The price of bread and the issue of imports went to the European Commission years ago.

The Island has to accept as residents those qualified to live in the UK...(Work permits being the only restriction)

The UK Govt summarises the issue saying that no other country has secured significant access to the Single Market without having to follow EU rules over which they have no say....pay into the EU.....accept EU citizens living and working in their country.

Canada it says has limited access for services but the deal has taken seven years and is still not in force.

The issue for the Isle of Man is that if the UK votes "Out" then the Island will have to take its share of any blows and bruises...

I would like to leave the EU but am not sure at the moment????

I have just received my portion of the £9 million pro-EU booklet programme announced by UK Govt recently...They make a convincing case to stay in based on the unpredictable upheaval and doubt caused by leaving...

Looking at the situation of the UK if it leaves under present circumstances the predicted result seems uncannily like that of the Isle of Man..."In" for trade..."Out" to some extent for services which UK says makes up 80% of its economy..They do not say if this includes financial services which is a limitation placed on the Isle of Man and which limits its financial services in the EU...

The Island does not pay into the EU but it follows loads of relevant EU laws and directives in various ways..The price of bread and the issue of imports went to the European Commission years ago.

The Island has to accept as residents those qualified to live in the UK...(Work permits being the only restriction)

The UK Govt summarises the issue saying that no other country has secured significant access to the Single Market without having to follow EU rules over which they have no say....pay into the EU.....accept EU citizens living and working in their country.

Canada it says has limited access for services but the deal has taken seven years and is still not in force.

The issue for the Isle of Man is that if the UK votes "Out" then the Island will have to take its share of any blows and bruises...

surely you dont believe the load of tripe cameroon and the EUSSR have sent you,i thought you were an educated man ?

surely you dont believe the load of tripe cameroon and the EUSSR have sent you,i thought you were an educated man ?

Well I knew most of it already and have often tried to explain that I lived for many years on a piece of Britain that was outside the EU and thus know roughly how it will go but frankly I do not think most people are that focussed...They will be nearer the day and it will be with pen poised that they decide...The main obsession appears to be immigration not the economy...

Haven't you cleaned the toilets in Strasbourg or Brussels? I would have thought you'd have insider information.

Don't worry - there's no fake cockney in the post, so it can't be the real Barrie posting.......

Mojo - what do you do for a living?

Right now I'm doing an apprenticeship to become an industrial mechanic (CNC machining, production machinery repair, etc.). It is a total change in direction career wise for me, but the chances of getting employment over here in Germany in what I'm already qualified to do were very slim and there are lots of opportunities for industrial mechanics were I live.

an industrial mechanic (CNC machining, production machinery repair, etc.)

See, now that's a proper job, much better than fannying around with finance or online gambling. It's useful.

Thanks, never worked in finance or online gambling though (I've got a Ladbrokes online betting account if that counts).

Mojo - what do you do for a living?

Right now I'm doing an apprenticeship to become an industrial mechanic (CNC machining, production machinery repair, etc.). It is a total change in direction career wise for me, but the chances of getting employment over here in Germany in what I'm already qualified to do were very slim and there are lots of opportunities for industrial mechanics were I live.

Nice. I'm a karma mechanic.

Archived