Stairway to a lawsuit

Amadeus

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played Taurus again yesterday, the similarities go beyond just the notes as demonstrated in the video. The arrangement, instrumentation, tempo are similar.

To a certain extent bands with simillar influences, working at the same time especially if spend time together can sound the same because they're drawing water from the same well.

It's not uncommon to take a song and rebuild it into a new one. Page did it quite a lot.

Interesting that Randy California never sued at the time.

It's not uncommon to take a song and rebuild it into a new one.

'Elves' is 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'.

It's not uncommon to take a song and rebuild it into a new one.

'Elves' is 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'.

Who hasn't rewritten a Stooges song.

I suppose the classic example of this is Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve. The song samples an orchestral cover of the Stones song "the Last Time" by the Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra, the bit sampled was arranged and written for the cover by David Whitaker. The Lyrics, melody, chords etc are the Verve's. The original Stones song borrows heavily from the Staple Singers "This May Be the Last Time" which is based on a traditional gospel song.

The Stones's publishers get 100% of the royalties.

I thought you could recreate lyrics and notes without problem. It was only when you physically sample you run into copyright issues.

There's two types of rights - composers and performers.

If you sample you are using a musician's performance, and just like a session musician he should be paid for that performance.

But in this instance, we're talking about composers rights. Basically a performer can sing any song but the songwriter gets paid.

Now if you sample a bit of music and don't pay the performer you're just stealing a bit of his work. Simillarly if you take a bit of a writer's lyrics or his melody and use it to make you're own song. you're doing the same.

All music and literature is just a natural progression of what went before it. If you are an artist you can't help but absorb what goes on around you and use that as a platform to progress. These court cases are just potential pension funds for less successful musicians who are at the end of their earnings potential and looking for ways to top up their lifestyles.

All music and literature is just a natural progression of what went before it. If you are an artist you can't help but absorb what goes on around you and use that as a platform to progress. These court cases are just potential pension funds for less successful musicians who are at the end of their earnings potential and looking for ways to top up their lifestyles.

Correct. smile.png

Archived