Stairway to a lawsuit

Amadeus

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the number of notes in the audio range is limited, as is the number of combinations that make sense it's inevitable that there will be similar or identical clusters that get used a lot. Listening to the comparison of the two sections that started this thread I'd say that I much preferred the second chord arrangement and that it was completely different to the first one. Sounds like a desperate "musician" trying to make a quick buck.

As the number of notes in the audio range is limited

Actually, strictly speaking it is unlimited.

If you mean the entire audio spectrum of about 20Hz to 20kHz then only a select number of those frequencies are accepted as musical notes. I'd say about 120 notes that are usable, with ones at extreme ends of the scale being for novelty use only.

If you mean the entire audio spectrum of about 20Hz to 20kHz then only a select number of those frequencies are accepted as musical notes. I'd say about 120 notes that are usable, with ones at extreme ends of the scale being for novelty use only.

Err, accepted by who?

Oh well, I mean if you like THIS type of music then anything goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0tObCDgic

Err, if one disregards the atonal nature of many of the overlaid sounds in the piece on your link, and concentrates on the harmonic progression, one quickly realises the piece conforms very strictly to the tempered Western tonal system that you previously claimed as the acceptable one. Which is wot I challenged and stuff. Poor example.

I'm not a musician but to my ear, the only similarities to Stairway to Heaven are the use of descending chords on an acoustic guitar. Otherwise I wouldn't say that it was in any way similar?

I certainly wouldn't have picked up on it and I have never heard Spirit perform Taurus before watching this Youtube clip.

I'm not a musician but to my ear, the only similarities to Stairway to Heaven are the use of descending chords on an acoustic guitar. Otherwise I wouldn't say that it was in any way similar?

I certainly wouldn't have picked up on it and I have never heard Spirit perform Taurus before watching this Youtube clip.

Totally agree.

Also just watched a clip on youtube pointing out that BACH wrote that music first.laugh.png

It's similar enough for it to have been an inspiration, maybe even a starting off point for the Led Zeppelin track, and that was how Page often worked. But it's been worked and worked into something different, it's clearly not a rearrangement of Taurus, or a case of adding a words or another part (like a chorus or bridge) to the original.

This article is interesting ...

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-unoriginal-originality-of-led-zeppelin

• 2 months later...

Archived