Student 'Comes Out' As Non-Binary

Tarne

This made me die a little inside.

http://news.sky.com/story/1684025/student-comes-out-as-non-binary-to-obama

She's quite blatantly female. Are they not using transgender, queer as a word to describe themselves now? They have to come up with "non-binary" - so what, they're analog now? There's only one place for these people. A mental hospital.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best check your privilege. Is what they would likely respond.

But you are right to use they rather than she in this context AFAIK.

Seriously though - why does it bother you how other people self-identify?

There are 10 types of people that understand binary.

The joke is:

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Back to the OP. I'm broadly in agreement with the sentiment, if not the vehemence of the post. If you have two X chromosomes and a vagina, you're a 'she'. XY and a penis then it's 'he'. Other combinations, which apply to a very small percentage of the population, can be discussed.

I'm not taking the piss, I really don't understand your anger towards this person. I don't know what xhe's done that is so wrong, simply expressing an opinion on how they sees themself.

I don't pretend to understand what non-binary means, or how this youngster feels but I'm not going to start from a position of outraged indignation, just because xhe expresses ideas outside my experience.

This made me die a little inside.

http://news.sky.com/story/1684025/student-comes-out-as-non-binary-to-obama

She's quite blatantly female.Are they not using transgender, queer as a word to describe themselves now? They have to come up with "non-binary" - so what, they're analog now? There's only one place for these people. A mental hospital.

Well I have stacks of similar stuff I can find for you and you're welcome to die all the way. There is nothing strange to many, many people about this and nothing new about there being non-binary people.. It's just...you haven't heard of the term and the idea that people do not consider themselves as male or female.

1. How the fuck would you know whether she is female or male?

2. Yes, transgender is still in use and some do consider themselves to be transgender. Queer is in use and means something completely different.

By all means, explain the truth of the world by what makes people male and female and why people have to be one of the other (i.e. the binary, the dichotomy).

Archived