Student 'Comes Out' As Non-Binary

Tarne

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just get a little jaded by all of the people who can't deal with reality, invent their own version and expect everyone else to recognise it.

That's unfair Tarne's just reacting to something he doesn't understand.

This made me die a little inside.

http://news.sky.com/story/1684025/student-comes-out-as-non-binary-to-obama

She's quite blatantly female. Are they not using transgender, queer as a word to describe themselves now? They have to come up with "non-binary" - so what, they're analog now? There's only one place for these people. A mental hospital.

Can you come out as "I've no fucking idea what I am"?

I can't get all those references to "they" as they refer to themselves in the third person as if they are a novelist observing their own character performing in their own life.

You might as well come out as a dog, or a cat or a badger. Non binary - fuck off - you're just nuts.

Agreed totally.

You might as well come out as a dog, or a cat or a badger.

Agreed totally.

And if you hang around a bit longer you'll probably be able to marry one soon.

I'm more than happy with who I'm married to. We are both happy that she is 100% female smile.pngwub.png

Brain chemistry is complex and only loosely correlated with genitailia which is less correlated with your chromosomes than most people think.

Then there are gender roles and the expectation that if you have a certain set of genitailia you have to conform to certain modes of behaviour and dress.

Social pressures to conform to behavioural expectations are very strong - most people are so used to this it becomes like the air we breath or the water the fish swims in - basically invisible and unconsidered. Others push back against it - often resulting in social and emotional stresses.

I've never felt a need to challenge the social expectations of my gender identity. There seems to be a big generational change with this issue which I have difficulty understanding - if people wish to push against gender roles that's fine by me. I sort of get it, but only just.

Managing self-expression and societal norms is a generational sort of thing - my goodness society has changed in the last 50 years, I'll be intrigued how that continues over the next.

In many ways it is good that our society is so well off it can give time to these issues - though I'm sure Woolley will worry that far more important issues are being blithely ignored.

A certain proportion of society seems to think this is decadent self-absorption - another proportion the human rights issue of our generation.

Me - I'd like people to be able to be useful valued members of society - ostracizing people because of the gender roles they adopt won't let that happen, so some tolerance seems in order.

Are you going to have a piss through your non binary dick (like a man) or have sex using your non binary vagina (like a woman?). The whole concept is nonsensical and it's just attention seeking. I can't even see what 'she' came out as - not a man or a woman but a 'thing' that just happens to have a woman's body. It's a mental illness it's nothing to do with gender.

Instead of being so focused on anatomy why not just relax and let other people find out who they are and how they self identify, without imposing roles on them?

In many ways it is good that our society is so well off it can give time to these issues - though I'm sure Woolley will worry that far more important issues are being blithely ignored.

A certain proportion of society seems to think this is decadent self-absorption - another proportion the human rights issue of our generation.

It is precisely the decadent self-absorption of our society that gives traction to this kind of nonsense. It is not good at all. Decadence is terminal.

Can you come out as "I've no fucking idea what I am"?

I can't get all those references to "they" as they refer to themselves in the third person as if they are a novelist observing their own character performing in their own life.

If you have tits and a fanny you're a woman

If you don't have tits and a dick you're a man

Any combination of the above then you're transgender...

...Things like non binary are just made up bollocks to seek attention. You might as well come out as a dog, or a cat or a badger. Non binary - fuck off - you're just nuts.

A woman is not someone who has tits and a fanny and a man is not someone who has no tits and a dick. Do you not think trans people who consider themselves to be men but have tits and a fanny are not men UNTIL they have surgery (and vice versa)?

What about people who are genetically male or female but have anatomy that almost always indicates a different sex?

What about intersex people who are born with genitalia that makes it difficult to tell whether what sex someone is?

You seem to confusing what makes a man or a woman from such things that makes people genetically male or female, anatomically male or female, etc.

There is no defining characteristic. You really only know whether someone is a man or a woman when they tell you what they are. Everything else is assumption. Might be a good assumption in most cases, but you can't be certain without being told.

I think most people get most permutations of gender identity and are tolerant of people's choices. But non-binary? The whole concept is more a mental illness than a gener identify thing. Whilst you're non binary technically you have no gender identity. You might as well see yourself as a fridge or a table. And you can't really do things in a non binary way. Are you going to have a piss through your non binary dick (like a man) or have sex using your non binary vagina (like a woman?). The whole concept is nonsensical and it's just attention seeking. I can't even see what 'she' came out as - not a man or a woman but a 'thing' that just happens to have a woman's body. It's a mental illness it's nothing to do with gender.

Being non-binary is not the absence of gender. A person cannot be non-gendered. Rather it is a lack of a gender identity that is wholly man or woman.

Again, you're argument from ignorance, as you are trying to reduce everything to the anatomical, which addressing the issue of sex rather than gender.

Archived