TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

Yeah, biking is actually a pretty shit mode of transport, especially in climates of the north like our's. The only long term future for biking is for traffic beating in cities, and that is more a job for scooter type commuters rather than silly, macho sports bikes, which are fine for those sad men and their mid life crises, but not of any use to a commuting solution.

Can you remember that far back?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peak sport bike was relatively recent, wasn't it - seemed to be the early/mid 2000s when the Ducati Monster-style machines instead became very popular.

The Honda CBR1000RR was the best selling big sports bike in 2008 until the financial crisis at c.2000 units.

Last year, the total big sports bike market in the UK was less than 2000 units. Naked bikes are now the biggest sellers, followed by adventure bikes. The overall market is reasonably healthy but the best selling machines are now scooters and 125 machines for commuters.

This hasn't caught on over here and the market dropped from c.700pa to c.200pa in 2009 and hasn't recovered.

Peak sport bike was relatively recent, wasn't it - seemed to be the early/mid 2000s when the Ducati Monster-style machines instead became very popular.

The Honda CBR1000RR was the best selling big sports bike in 2008 until the financial crisis at c.2000 units.

Last year, the total big sports bike market in the UK was less than 2000 units. Naked bikes are now the biggest sellers, followed by adventure bikes. The overall market is reasonably healthy but the best selling machines are now scooters and 125 machines for commuters.

This hasn't caught on over here and the market dropped from c.700pa to c.200pa in 2009 and hasn't recovered.

Yeah but we all know that in reality, anything below a one litre sports bike with less than 175 bhp atw just doesn't cut it and puts you into the 'big girl's blouse' category. thumbsup.gif

Yeah but we all know that in reality, anything below a one litre sports bike with less than 175 bhp atw just doesn't cut it and puts you into the 'big girl's blouse' category. thumbsup.gif

Maybe it could also be due to the fact that both 1000 and 600 sports bikes have been developed to the point where they are little more than racers for the road with attendantly reduced appeal and usability? Whereas the nakeds and adventure bikes are generally a lower state of tune in both performance and suspension making them more user-friendly.

The scooters and small capacity commuters have always topped the sales charts for just that reason. I can remember the justifications being given for turning the TT towards production based racing and the dropping of the GP250s, were that the machinery would more accurately reflect the UK market. I think it was Andy Kershaw who quipped that if that was pursued to its logical conclusion we would end up with scooter and moped racing around the Island.

The 600 is as good a bike as you can get these days.

I agree about the appeal of the naked etc.

The smell of petrol and naked women ! Groudle, Highlander, Hawthorn etc.

That was when the TT was good.

Whatever happen to the Miss Wet T- Shirt comps ? sweatingbullets.gif

....a world renowned festival...

I don't think you understand the term "world renowned".

The Olympics, World Cup, Ryder Cup, PGA Tour, Wimbledon, etc are world renowned.

The TT is a fringe event within a waning "sport".

Litre bikes are fun, but ultimately pointless on the road. Nakeds are definitely the way to go. I could never find a 600 that fit me. I'm lanky and apparently new 600s are made for tiny little jockey men.

Archived