TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why did the forum close ?

Following a review of how resources within the Department of Economic Development and it's corporate partners were best utilised, it was decided that social media such as Facebook and Twitter delivered much more open and engaging methods for fans to interact with the Isle of Man TT.

I believe something that has lost many TT supporters and interest is the closing of the iomtt.com website forum.

That was a fantastic forum and it had a wide range of users. Over the years all our visitors used that forum regularly and some I noticed logged on at least a couple of times every day. We kept in touch via the forum and everyone became part of the build up towards the TT. It was informative and a good laugh at times although like any internet forum it had its moments. (It even had regular visits from mtp).

Some of our visitors who were always big fans of the TT have given it a miss this past couple of years.

So yes, I blame it in no small part to the closing of that forum which had grown to become an asset for the TT, throughout the world.

But typically 'manx', small mindedness won through.

ps I know there is another forum, and masses of respect to Malcolm, but it is a very different kettle of fish. I visit once a month rather than the at least daily I did with iomtt.com.

I read that forum quite a bit and it was good for some years. Heavily censored though, as MTP will attest to.

It did degenerate into a massive back slapping platform for marshals though and the never ending rantings of Shaun Harris. IMO only.

It is world renowned within motorcycling circles.

And there are more bike motorsport fans than we will ever be able to accommodate.

I think the North West 200 backs up that statement. Around 150,000 are in Northern Ireland each year for the Event, and apparently the vast majority are Irish. Many more Irish would be here for the TT/MGP , if there were boats to bring them , they are ' genuine ' Motorcycle Road Race Fans. Not many VIPs , so Skelly and his vision for our Race Meetings will not be interested.

A mate down here is a big, big bike enthusiast. The reason he and his buddies don't visit the IOM is the price of the crossing and they don't want to sleep in a tent.

Firstly, with a small amount of planning there is plenty of non tent accommodation.

Secondly, is it really THAT expensive?

To put it in to context - I paid £200 a day for a very very average caravan in your neck of the woods for 4 days. And that was about all we got. And the caravan was crap for the money.

I doubt coming over to the IOM for TT for a "big big bike enthusiast" would be that expensive. A week abroad no doubt would be much dearer.

It sounds more that your mate isn't really that big an enthusiast. Either that or you are speaking total shite again.

In fact, I was so sure you were speaking shite that I just had a quick nose on the IOM SPC. You can get a bike and passenger over on the MOnday, Tuesday and Wednesday of race week and back Sunday for £190-240 return. And a trip up the motorway.

Out of interest, what is expensive about that?

Well GD4ELI?

You make a good observation dilli, but it still had a massive following. And if it is a platform to allow marshals to backslap then so be it. I'm not a marshal but I respect what they do and they are essential to the TT.

I didn't think it was heavily moderated/censored at all. It seemed to come in waves and generally it was as free as manxforums (and people still criticise mf!)

The Shaun Harris thing, yeah that was a laugh, but it still kept people interested, even in a critical way. It's like us lot complaining about LDV or TJ or whoever, but we still tune in.

MTP has got it right (he had his fun there and made some excellent posts!)

why did the forum close ?

Following a review of how resources within the Department of Economic Development and it's corporate partners were best utilised, it was decided that social media such as Facebook and Twitter delivered much more open and engaging methods for fans to interact with the Isle of Man TT.

Or in other words, people being highly paid for running the TT were sick of getting slagged off in their ivory towers.

But of course Facebook and Twitter are very different things. Only a numpty - a highly paid numpty - would suggest it's all social media so must be the same. It's all stuff we do on our computers innit.

The forum had built up a huge following over the years, and was one of the most powerful and low cost advertisements for the Isle of Man TT you could imagine. It was more than an advertisement, it brought people on board and kept them there.

What's stopping anyone from setting up a new forum? Well nothing of course, and people have tried. Obviously iomtt.com thought someone would take over. The TTwebsite forum took over and there was a massive migration to it after iomtt.com ended (remember beemanx to manx.net to mf.......) , but the admin refused to cater for the masses, or to put it bluntly, the lowest common denominator (no bad language, no unpleasantness). Which is fair enough but it has nowhere near the numbers and popularity. I don't even have it bookmarked.

Some fuckwit made a decision. It was a bad one. Who the hell would throw away such a powerful asset. It's like a pub landlord telling everyone to fuck off because the pub was too busy, or some equally stupidness analogy.

If the decision was made by someone at the Department of Economic Development (DED) then I am not at all surprised. I have already used the word fuckwit.

And there are more bike motorsport fans than we will ever be able to accommodate.

I think the North West 200 backs up that statement. Around 150,000 are in Northern Ireland each year for the Event, and apparently the vast majority are Irish. Many more Irish would be here for the TT/MGP , if there were boats to bring them , they are ' genuine ' Motorcycle Road Race Fans. Not many VIPs , so Skelly and his vision for our Race Meetings will not be interested.

A mate down here is a big, big bike enthusiast. The reason he and his buddies don't visit the IOM is the price of the crossing and they don't want to sleep in a tent.

Firstly, with a small amount of planning there is plenty of non tent accommodation.

To put it in to context - I paid £200 a day for a very very average caravan in your neck of the woods for 4 days. And that was about all we got. And the caravan was crap for the money.

I doubt coming over to the IOM for TT for a "big big bike enthusiast" would be that expensive. A week abroad no doubt would be much dearer.

It sounds more that your mate isn't really that big an enthusiast. Either that or you are speaking total shite again.

In fact, I was so sure you were speaking shite that I just had a quick nose on the IOM SPC. You can get a bike and passenger over on the MOnday, Tuesday and Wednesday of race week and back Sunday for £190-240 return. And a trip up the motorway.

Just saw this posting.

What I'm talking about here is aging bike owners who would visit the TT / MGP / whatever it's called this week were it not so expensive and were there B&B available at reasonable / normal rates. Not all bike owners are wealthy by any means, lots of people struggle along to the end of the month. Not all bike owners want to sleep in a tent.

I believe something that has lost many TT supporters and interest is the closing of the iomtt.com website forum.

That was a fantastic forum and it had a wide range of users. Over the years all our visitors used that forum regularly and some I noticed logged on at least a couple of times every day. We kept in touch via the forum and everyone became part of the build up towards the TT. It was informative and a good laugh at times although like any internet forum it had its moments. (It even had regular visits from mtp).

Some of our visitors who were always big fans of the TT have given it a miss this past couple of years.

So yes, I blame it in no small part to the closing of that forum which had grown to become an asset for the TT, throughout the world.

ps I know there is another forum, and masses of respect to Malcolm, but it is a very different kettle of fish. I visit once a month rather than the at least daily I did with iomtt.com.

I read that forum quite a bit and it was good for some years. Heavily censored though, as MTP will attest to.

It did degenerate into a massive back slapping platform for marshals though and the never ending rantings of Shaun Harris. IMO only.

At the end of January Harris had another serious accident in New Zealand . He ended up in intensive care in Christchurch with no further news updates since.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/76291620/shaun-harris-still-in-icu-following-crash-at-levels

Just saw this posting.

What I'm talking about here is aging bike owners who would visit the TT / MGP / whatever it's called this week were it not so expensive and were there B&B available at reasonable / normal rates. Not all bike owners are wealthy by any means, lots of people struggle along to the end of the month. Not all bike owners want to sleep in a tent.

But i've just given you proof that it isn't expensive.

I'll tell you what's expensive - £200 a fucking night in a shite caravan in the pissing rain in your area of the country. That's expensive. And that's before the £300 boat with car/passengers and the horrific trip down there.

I'll tell you what's expensive - £200 a fucking night in a shite caravan in the pissing rain in your area of the country. That's expensive. And that's before the £300 boat with car/passengers and the horrific trip down there.

Probably they knew where you were from and got revenge for a piss-poor holiday near you :)

Just saw this posting.

I only read the first sentence, no point in going further as it's plain the way your thinking goes. The Tourist Trophy Races ( TT ) have been so named since 1907 - ( 108 years ) the Manx Grand Prix Races have been so named since the first MGP in 1927 ( 89 years ) I believe it to be extremely impressive to have two such events on a little Island like ours. I did read on and discovered that the rest of your points have been common complaints for as many years as I can remember, so I can only assume you are new to the TT / MGP Races. Well I hope you come to love them as much as I , thousands of Manxies , 60,000 or so fans who visit the two events each year, and probably hundreds of thousands of TT fans throughout the World do. They are , without any doubt whatsoever ' THE GREATEST MOTORCYCLE ROAD RACES IN THE WORLD.'..........FACT.

Probably they knew where you were from and got revenge for a piss-poor holiday near you :)

I think you and ' Notwell ' are probably made for each other. Have you thought about taking a very long break together, somewhere that other normal mannered people wouldn't dream of going. Why does the Isle of Man interest you both so much. Money hidden away ? ....or just the chance to bad mouth what you plainly view as an inferior Nation. Please don't tell me either of you are of Manx Nationallity.

At the end of January Harris had another serious accident in New Zealand . He ended up in intensive care in Christchurch with no further news updates since.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/76291620/shaun-harris-still-in-icu-following-crash-at-levels

I can't find it now, but there was an update from the same source (I think )

He came round, but can't speak, is fed through a tube, but can communicate via a writing pad.

he has been transferred to Wellington, so is nearer home, but nobody is expecting a miracle (very nasty brain injury ) and his wife said something like " we have him nearer home now but don't know what (?) he will be when he comes out of hospital" not verbatim, but I think that was the jist of it.

He wrote that he wanted his wife to book flight tickets to the Isle of Man for the TT. She told him that she would "in his dreams"

Found it now.

http://www.crash.net/road-racing/news/227994/1/shaun-harris-on-road-to-recovery-after-serious-accident.html

Archived