TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

Thanks dilligaf and lisenchuk for the update on Shaun Harris. I knew nothing of this, but had the iomtt.com forum be going I would have been right there.

The point I am making (again) is that the iomtt.com forum may well have been a pain in the arse for one or two egotistical Isle of Man Government employees, but it served to keep many 1000s of people around the world up to date and interested. I have a pool of about a dozen visitors from UK I kept in touch with over that forum. Not necessarily overtly, but I used to read their comments and they mine. After a forum posting it only took one pm "booked for this year's TT" and it was all sorted again. I think some of the lads are taking their family to Spain this year and they're more into the short circuits, maybe Ireland too.

I had visitors stay at our house from Italy two or three years back. Where did they get interested in the TT and know all about accommodation, where to watch, where to eat etc....... Yep, iomtt.com forums.

And yes, if they were that interested (they weren't) they also got to know from the forum that there were a few highly paid government employees who were too big for their boots but hey, so what?

There has been a lot of work recently to publicise the TT but the axing of the iomtt.com forum has probably cost a loss of a good 10-20%. So aye, net 5% loss.

Someone please try and tell me I am talking bollocks, because I have a lot to reply on this subject.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll tell you what's expensive - £200 a fucking night in a shite caravan in the pissing rain in your area of the country. That's expensive. And that's before the £300 boat with car/passengers and the horrific trip down there.

Probably they knew where you were from and got revenge for a piss-poor holiday near you :)

I think you and ' Notwell ' are probably made for each other. Have you thought about taking a very long break together, somewhere that other normal mannered people wouldn't dream of going. Why does the Isle of Man interest you both so much. Money hidden away ? ....or just the chance to bad mouth what you plainly view as an inferior Nation. Please don't tell me either of you are of Manx Nationallity.

I was born in the Isle of Man and my nationality like yours is British.

Your posts get more and more delusional. I'm interested in the Isle of Man because I live and work here ffs.

And I can hardly be accused of bad mouthing the Isle of Man really can I? Do you read my posts?

Thanks dilligaf and lisenchuk for the update on Shaun Harris. I knew nothing of this, but had the iomtt.com forum be going I would have been right there.

The point I am making (again) is that the iomtt.com forum may well have been a pain in the arse for one or two egotistical Isle of Man Government employees, but it served to keep many 1000s of people around the world up to date and interested. I have a pool of about a dozen visitors from UK I kept in touch with over that forum. Not necessarily overtly, but I used to read their comments and they mine. After a forum posting it only took one pm "booked for this year's TT" and it was all sorted again. I think some of the lads are taking their family to Spain this year and they're more into the short circuits, maybe Ireland too.

I had visitors stay at our house from Italy two or three years back. Where did they get interested in the TT and know all about accommodation, where to watch, where to eat etc....... Yep, iomtt.com forums.

And yes, if they were that interested (they weren't) they also got to know from the forum that there were a few highly paid government employees who were too big for their boots but hey, so what?

There has been a lot of work recently to publicise the TT but the axing of the iomtt.com forum has probably cost a loss of a good 10-20%. So aye, net 5% loss.

Someone please try and tell me I am talking bollocks, because I have a lot to reply on this subject.

You seem to be up to speed on the "iomtt.com" site, so maybe you can tell me / us why this Gov. forum was run by Duke Marketing ?

I never understood how that came about and have always been suspicious of such things, including the tie up in selling the old "marker boards / Signage from the TT course, that was replaced with shitty new ones and the old ones put up for auction/sale. I always wonder where any money went from sales.

I remember a lot of waffle about a guy called Eddy supping tea in Peel. Far too much shit about kerb painting and a good heated debate about rip off chocolate,but other than that,it wasn't that busy.Most people I ever saw signed in there was below 60 and a month or so after the TT it would fade away. Autumn on it was particularly bad. Best decision was to close it down and leave it to the "other one"

A thought - this forum has 10,000 members. iomtt.com had over 60,000.

I remember a lot of waffle about a guy called Eddy supping tea in Peel. Far too much shit about kerb painting and a good heated debate about rip off chocolate,but other than that,it wasn't that busy.Most people I ever saw signed in there was below 60 and a month or so after the TT it would fade away. Autumn on it was particularly bad. Best decision was to close it down and leave it to the "other one"

Yes, I can imagine the discussions...."oh duh, the TT internet forum goes busy in the months leading up to June and then goes quiet." Just because the site goes quiet does not mean it has gone dead. Only the site admin (erm, if they knew how to) would have known the amount of lurkers and their distribution etc. What is a reasonable ratio of members to lurkers on a forum? So anyway, there was a valuable asset and mass of potentially valuable information just thrown away.

"the other one" is well run. But it is very esoteric. And that is exactly how the owner wants it. No place for the likes of me or indeed MTP on that little beaut. MTP was as prolific on iomtt.com as he is here and was held in a not dissimilar esteem.

The Isle of Man TT visitor is from a huge demographic range. For example, I know people who religiously come to the TT year in year out, they call themselves "the number one TT supporter" (and who am I or anyone else to contradict?) - however, they would struggle to name half a dozen riders and probably watch one race a year for a lap or two. I know other supporters who could describe the best metallic make-up for an inline four gudgeon pin. Others who have spent every TT of their lives (and yes, I mean every year) watching from the same spot, a family tradition and have never even seen Bushy's tent let alone been in it. And then of course there is the large middle ground of beer swilling leather clad motorcycle riding baldy biker (used to be hairy biker)

etc. etc.

The iomtt.com forum was a fantastic tool that was able to reach that huge cross-section of people.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world is it. Just another indication of our Government and its employees abilities.

(oh and how did Duke Marketing manage to take that site over along with the title of Official Isle of Man TT Website? I have had that explained and the word, rightly or not, nefarious was used)

"the other one" is well run. But it is very esoteric. And that is exactly how the owner wants it. No place for the likes of me or indeed MTP on that little beaut. MTP was as prolific on iomtt.com as he is here and was held in a not dissimilar esteem disdain.

There, fixed!

"the other one" is well run. But it is very esoteric. And that is exactly how the owner wants it. No place for the likes of me or indeed MTP on that little beaut. MTP was as prolific on iomtt.com as he is here and was held in a not dissimilar esteem disdain.

There, fixed!

Very subtle humour,but true

Yes, I can imagine the discussions...."oh duh, the TT internet forum goes busy in the months leading up to June and then goes quiet." Just because the site goes quiet does not mean it has gone dead. Only the site admin (erm, if they knew how to) would have known the amount of lurkers and their distribution etc. What is a reasonable ratio of members to lurkers on a forum? So anyway, there was a valuable asset and mass of potentially valuable information just thrown away.

"the other one" is well run. But it is very esoteric. And that is exactly how the owner wants it. No place for the likes of me or indeed MTP on that little beaut. MTP was as prolific on iomtt.com as he is here and was held in a not dissimilar esteem.

The Isle of Man TT visitor is from a huge demographic range. For example, I know people who religiously come to the TT year in year out, they call themselves "the number one TT supporter" (and who am I or anyone else to contradict?) - however, they would struggle to name half a dozen riders and probably watch one race a year for a lap or two. I know other supporters who could describe the best metallic make-up for an inline four gudgeon pin. Others who have spent every TT of their lives (and yes, I mean every year) watching from the same spot, a family tradition and have never even seen Bushy's tent let alone been in it. And then of course there is the large middle ground of beer swilling leather clad motorcycle riding baldy biker (used to be hairy biker)

etc. etc.

The iomtt.com forum was a fantastic tool that was able to reach that huge cross-section of people.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world is it. Just another indication of our Government and its employees abilities.

(oh and how did Duke Marketing manage to take that site over along with the title of Official Isle of Man TT Website? I have had that explained and the word, rightly or not, nefarious was used)

It was actually very much like this place,a small amount of regulars with nothing much of worth to contribute. Closest it ever got to useful was people offering dry rooms for a few nights,but generally it was limited in members and was hardly a varied demographic. Enjoyable,but nothing special

That's a fair point marauder.

But how many hits a day does mf get. Folk lurking and just checking.

And when for example there is a murder on the Island this place is brimming with users. There may be 200 or so logged on all the time throughout the following days. Any unusual news then this place has to be the first stop for most people, including of course the journalists and reporters.

So to relate that point back on topic, up to and including TT week, iomtt.com was packed, as would be expected and it was the de facto first stop off point for TT news.

(and yes, yes, I fully 100% appreciate that during the rest of the year it was probably just Shaun Harris fighting with himself and two random saddos slanging each other off, and maybe a marshal or two writing some poems, but so what)

Does this forum have 10,000 members? Well fancy that. I wonder why only about a dozen of us ever post.

The dirty dozen who keep it ticking over

Archived