TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

maybe a marshal or two writing some poems

Oh man, I am a sucker for bad poetry, and it doesn't get much worse than this! Kiss my arse!

Kiss the quay.

2007, the one hundredth TT

Come and join in history

Though it’s been a long journey, there’s been good times and bad,

It still has the same draw the TT’s always had.

Whether here for the win, or just for the craic,

Year after year we keep coming back.

Racers the world over, far too many to name,

Have been drawn to the Island, such is its fame.

For me Joey’s King, he’d such talent, such heart,

He was born for the TT, you could tell from the start.

There have been so many others, some who’ve paid with their lives,

Stop and think of their families, their children, their wives.

Corners named after Heroes, memories fused into track,

We will never forget them, every year they are back.

Each year new hero’s rise, from this jewel in the sea,

Mona’s Isle calls them over, as it calls you and me.

An irresistible urge, one you simply can’t fight,

Just like moths to a lamp, we are drawn to the light.

From crusty Hells Angels, to young families with nippers,

The whole Island’s awash, with bikes, beer, and Manx kippers.

Talk of Ago, of Hailwood, of Joeys 26 wins,

A myriad of faces, beaming Bushys induced grins.

A roar from the Prom, the Purple Helmets cruise by,

Screaming jets up above, Red Arrows paint the sky.

Heading out for a lap, nerves all a jitter,

A Mad German goes past, Immer links fahren bitte.

Radio TT as soundtrack, over to Mavis and Betty,

The Steam Packet are flat out, more bikes stream from the jetty.

This is motorcycle nirvana, where all bikers should be,

This is Ellan Vannin, this is the TT.

So much more than a race, TT can’t come too soon,

A religion for many, for us Christmas is June.

Praise the lord you can be here, drink the atmosphere in,

Though we may never be racers, it feels as good as a win.

So when you ride off the ferry, stop your bike and join me,

As I sink to my knees, and kiss the quay.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe a marshal or two writing some poems

Oh man, I am a sucker for bad poetry, and it doesn't get much worse than this! Kiss my arse!

Kiss the quay.

2007, the one hundredth TT

Come and join in history

Though it’s been a long journey, there’s been good times and bad,

It still has the same draw the TT’s always had.

Whether here for the win, or just for the craic,

Year after year we keep coming back.

Racers the world over, far too many to name,

Have been drawn to the Island, such is its fame.

For me Joey’s King, he’d such talent, such heart,

He was born for the TT, you could tell from the start.

There have been so many others, some who’ve paid with their lives,

Stop and think of their families, their children, their wives.

Corners named after Heroes, memories fused into track,

We will never forget them, every year they are back.

Each year new hero’s rise, from this jewel in the sea,

Mona’s Isle calls them over, as it calls you and me.

An irresistible urge, one you simply can’t fight,

Just like moths to a lamp, we are drawn to the light.

From crusty Hells Angels, to young families with nippers,

The whole Island’s awash, with bikes, beer, and Manx kippers.

Talk of Ago, of Hailwood, of Joeys 26 wins,

A myriad of faces, beaming Bushys induced grins.

A roar from the Prom, the Purple Helmets cruise by,

Screaming jets up above, Red Arrows paint the sky.

Heading out for a lap, nerves all a jitter,

A Mad German goes past, Immer links fahren bitte.

Radio TT as soundtrack, over to Mavis and Betty,

The Steam Packet are flat out, more bikes stream from the jetty.

This is motorcycle nirvana, where all bikers should be,

This is Ellan Vannin, this is the TT.

So much more than a race, TT can’t come too soon,

A religion for many, for us Christmas is June.

Praise the lord you can be here, drink the atmosphere in,

Though we may never be racers, it feels as good as a win.

So when you ride off the ferry, stop your bike and join me,

As I sink to my knees, and kiss the quay.

It's just taken a day to remove the vomit from my keyboard after reading that load of utter shite.

That is even sadder than the marshals who went to the trouble, and thought it funny, to actually print off and attach a small sign saying "Knee" which they then stuck over the word "Lea" on the Gorse Lea sign, to make it "Gorse Knee"

It seems someone, maybe Dan Kneen, had scraped their knee on the pavement there. Sad people.

Now, now, dilli, don't wind up or take the piss out of TT marshals. They are indeed essential but nonetheless sensitive folk. It takes a certain type of person to do the job and I for one, am thankful they are there. God bless' em each and every one.

I'll tell you what's expensive - £200 a fucking night in a shite caravan in the pissing rain in your area of the country. That's expensive. And that's before the £300 boat with car/passengers and the horrific trip down there.

Probably they knew where you were from and got revenge for a piss-poor holiday near you :)

I think you and ' Notwell ' are probably made for each other. Have you thought about taking a very long break together, somewhere that other normal mannered people wouldn't dream of going. Why does the Isle of Man interest you both so much. Money hidden away ? ....or just the chance to bad mouth what you plainly view as an inferior Nation. Please don't tell me either of you are of Manx Nationallity.

I was born in the Isle of Man and my nationality like yours is British.

Your posts get more and more delusional. I'm interested in the Isle of Man because I live and work here ffs.

And I can hardly be accused of bad mouthing the Isle of Man really can I? Do you read my posts?

There really is no point in continuing this childish niggle. We will have to agree to differ. Have a nice TT

I'll tell you what's expensive - £200 a fucking night in a shite caravan in the pissing rain in your area of the country. That's expensive. And that's before the £300 boat with car/passengers and the horrific trip down there.

Probably they knew where you were from and got revenge for a piss-poor holiday near you :)

I think you and ' Notwell ' are probably made for each other. Have you thought about taking a very long break together, somewhere that other normal mannered people wouldn't dream of going. Why does the Isle of Man interest you both so much. Money hidden away ? ....or just the chance to bad mouth what you plainly view as an inferior Nation. Please don't tell me either of you are of Manx Nationallity.

I was born in the Isle of Man and my nationality like yours is British.

Your posts get more and more delusional. I'm interested in the Isle of Man because I live and work here ffs.

And I can hardly be accused of bad mouthing the Isle of Man really can I? Do you read my posts?

There really is no point in continuing this childish niggle. We will have to agree to differ. Have a nice TT

Does this forum have 10,000 members? Well fancy that.

Well, it did until Lonan died. And now Tweeklock's flounced, so yeah! About twelve left....

Pathetic isn't it ? And we all take ourselves SO seriously, which makes us very sad. I'm off soon for my Summer break, and a visit to a Clinic to bolster my ability to handle the comments on here, should I come back

So anyway, back to my stance on the Isle of Man Government (for it is, ultimately, they) axing the iomtt.com forum.

The site had 6 times as many members as manxforums and being UK/Worldwide I would hazard many times the ratio of lurkers to members (ie hits to site post/log-ins)

Uni hasn't posted the webstats for this site since 2012 but it gives an indication of the amount of hits iomtt.com forum might have had. Certainly double figures of millions per month. It doesn't say much for the 'marketing' in Duke Marketing.

Example, manxforums webstats February 2012 manxforums webstats

So 5 per cent less visitors. Maybe they should stop increasing the tax on local businesses to sell at TT venues/events or reduce it by 5 per cent.

Are you seriously suggesting more Tax reductions for our Island, the greed is outstanding, but you and yours days are numbered
Calm down, grandpa! I'm not suggesting tax reductions but a reversal of tax INCREASES.

Ian Davison has written today on Facebook:

"MR Laurence Skelly. This article is page 4, Isle of Man Independent, 28th April-4th May 2016. As an Independent Manx trader who has a pitch behind the Grandstand for TT and MGP, selling Davison's Manx Ice cream, I have recently heavily criticised Mr Skelly and his department as they have increased my rental and the rents behind the Grandstand for all traders for the TT and MGP, my rental by 40% in the past 3 years this years increase by 25%, making it near unaffordable to trade. This rental increase they said was justified as the foot fall for these events had increased, well these headlines seem to suggest otherwise for this year at least, so Mr Skelly there will be less footfall this year can I have some of my rental back please?"

The above is what I was talking about. He is spot on.

Oh, poor Mr Davison. You don't have a god given right to make a killing selling expensive ice cream. If the rent is too dear, don't pay for a space there. Simple.

Well the ice cream in his shops in Peel and Douglas is always good value - NOT expensive. Delicious rum and raisin.

Davison's "scoop" ice cream is always good and when the Whippy is mixed properly, (not always the case as it is sometimes bitty and soapy) there is nothing better. He deserves the awards he gets for his products, but I still feel that if he can't afford the grandstand rent, then just don't bother.

​Since the above post was made, I have had three "whippys" from Davidsons, one in Peel and two on the prom in Douglas.

All three have been horrible, the one in Peel was bitty and lumpy and the two in town were, first one fatty and left a bad aftertaste and the one today was sloppy half frozen yellowy milk for want of a better description.

I hope the quality improves for the summer for what few visitors we get. Very very let down.

Edit to add that when I get good service I will say so, but these days when service or quality is poor I will also say so. We should expect better.

Sensitive doesn't even begin to describe the type at Gorse Lea

Sensitive ,is, I suspect, something you have never been accused of, given your posts on the Hillsborough thread.flowers.gif

No,this is quite true I agree

• 1 month later...

Here's an interesting story from not so long ago. One hopes it isn't a precedent pop pickers!

Boardmasters festival axes world surfing event

A long-running international surfing competition in Newquay has been cancelled after sponsorship fell.

Boardmasters' organiser Vision Nine said Vans had pulled out and Relentless had cut its support.

Critics said the surfing competition, which has been held since 1981, had been "taken over" by the Boardmasters music festival which started in 2005.

But Vision Nine said it was a "sign of the economy" and it could not afford to put on the competition.

The Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Series competition which has been axed had total prize money of $180,000 (£116,550) last year.

In the past the event has attracted some of the world's biggest surfing names, including Kelly Slater.

But the event at Fistral beach has been dropped in favour of an open competition with £20,000 prize money.

Newquay surfboard shaper Nigel Semmens said: "It is disgraceful. Boardmasters is an amazing event, but has been taken over by a pop festival.

"If they have got enough money for a pop festival they have got enough money for a surfing competition."

Boardmasters music festival at Watergate, several miles from Fistral, and the surfing is expected to draw in about 100,000 people to Newquay, said Vision Nine.

But James Macintyre of Newquay surf shop Boardwalk said Boardmasters risked losing its credibility among surfers.

"It was a highlight of the summer, to be able to see the best surfers in the world on your local break," he said.

Andrew Topham of Vision Nine, which introduced music to the festival in 2005, said: "It's very expensive to run that level of competition.

"It's a sign of the economy at large and the surfing industry has been hit very hard."

He added that he was "really confident" that a major sponsor would return to Boardmasters in the future and an ASP event would be held again, possibly next year.

"We have welcomed the cream of the world's surfing community over the years but now want to open the doors to the local community and home grown talent," he said.

The open competition will include a women's section for the first time at Boardmasters since 1999 and two junior sections will also be introduced.

An ASP spokesman said: "It is very sad, and unfortunately it's not the only one we've lost this season.

"It's been hard for many organizers across Europe, but we're hopeful that brands will start investing in our sport and grow new projects as well."

It would appear that our ' Masters of the Future of the TT ' have fallen for another bunch of ' Con Men ' . Ah well just another few hundred thousand down the drain eh Mr Skelly ?

Here's an interesting story from not so long ago. One hopes it isn't a precedent pop pickers!

Boardmasters festival axes world surfing event

A long-running international surfing competition in Newquay has been cancelled after sponsorship fell.

Boardmasters' organiser Vision Nine said Vans had pulled out and Relentless had cut its support.

Critics said the surfing competition, which has been held since 1981, had been "taken over" by the Boardmasters music festival which started in 2005.

But Vision Nine said it was a "sign of the economy" and it could not afford to put on the competition.

The Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) World Series competition which has been axed had total prize money of $180,000 (£116,550) last year.

In the past the event has attracted some of the world's biggest surfing names, including Kelly Slater.

But the event at Fistral beach has been dropped in favour of an open competition with £20,000 prize money.

Newquay surfboard shaper Nigel Semmens said: "It is disgraceful. Boardmasters is an amazing event, but has been taken over by a pop festival.

"If they have got enough money for a pop festival they have got enough money for a surfing competition."

Boardmasters music festival at Watergate, several miles from Fistral, and the surfing is expected to draw in about 100,000 people to Newquay, said Vision Nine.

But James Macintyre of Newquay surf shop Boardwalk said Boardmasters risked losing its credibility among surfers.

"It was a highlight of the summer, to be able to see the best surfers in the world on your local break," he said.

Andrew Topham of Vision Nine, which introduced music to the festival in 2005, said: "It's very expensive to run that level of competition.

"It's a sign of the economy at large and the surfing industry has been hit very hard."

He added that he was "really confident" that a major sponsor would return to Boardmasters in the future and an ASP event would be held again, possibly next year.

"We have welcomed the cream of the world's surfing community over the years but now want to open the doors to the local community and home grown talent," he said.

The open competition will include a women's section for the first time at Boardmasters since 1999 and two junior sections will also be introduced.

An ASP spokesman said: "It is very sad, and unfortunately it's not the only one we've lost this season.

"It's been hard for many organizers across Europe, but we're hopeful that brands will start investing in our sport and grow new projects as well."

It would appear that our ' Masters of the Future of the TT ' have fallen for another bunch of ' Con Men ' . Ah well just another few hundred thousand down the drain eh Mr Skelly ?

I believe the average TT visitor would prefer to base their stay around the middle weekend incorporating the Superbike race & Mad Sunday.

The days of fortnight stayers are dwindling.

Vision Nine or whatever they are called will need to promote more events outside of that weekend, bike club meetings, concerts, etc during practice week & toward the end of race week.

I know it's the fashion to go along with Skelly and his pals with this tripe about ' The Middle Weekend ' it's ALWAYS been the busiest time, but the ' Average Biker ' bases his stay on Motorcycle Race Days, not ' Demonstration Laps ' by Rally Cars, and watching a procession of Subarus lapping the Course full of VIPs with more money than sense. God forbid one of them should crash if the Helicopter can't land , or does that apply just for Bike Racing

Archived