TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

An increase in track events, by implication, means more/longer road closures. That's going to go down like a lead balloon in some quarters?

Unless they go for more use of Jurby a la MGP Vintage Club day?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An increase in track events, by implication, means more/longer road closures. That's going to go down like a lead balloon in some quarters?

No, I think we can expect more Scooby laps, even more VIP laps and lots of other parades.

I don't mind if we see more cars TBH.

To be fair the roads are as good as closed every day anyway more often than not.

A mate of mine makes air fences for race circuits.

He rang me the other day to ask why the isle wants 75 and a half miles of 10 foot high air fence.

I'm betting on the whole course being hidden behind it, and if you want to see from your own land, you pay for a gap to view from.

So 5 per cent less visitors. Maybe they should stop increasing the tax on local businesses to sell at TT venues/events or reduce it by 5 per cent.

Are you seriously suggesting more Tax reductions for our Island, the greed is outstanding, but you and yours days are numbered

Calm down, grandpa! I'm not suggesting tax reductions but a reversal of tax INCREASES.

Ian Davison has written today on Facebook:

"MR Laurence Skelly. This article is page 4, Isle of Man Independent, 28th April-4th May 2016. As an Independent Manx trader who has a pitch behind the Grandstand for TT and MGP, selling Davison's Manx Ice cream, I have recently heavily criticised Mr Skelly and his department as they have increased my rental and the rents behind the Grandstand for all traders for the TT and MGP, my rental by 40% in the past 3 years this years increase by 25%, making it near unaffordable to trade. This rental increase they said was justified as the foot fall for these events had increased, well these headlines seem to suggest otherwise for this year at least, so Mr Skelly there will be less footfall this year can I have some of my rental back please?"

The above is what I was talking about. He is spot on.

He rang me the other day to ask why the isle wants 75 and a half miles of 10 foot high air fence.

I'm betting on the whole course being hidden behind it, and if you want to see from your own land, you pay for a gap to view from.

That would, at least, improve the safety of the riders.

So 5 per cent less visitors. Maybe they should stop increasing the tax on local businesses to sell at TT venues/events or reduce it by 5 per cent.

Are you seriously suggesting more Tax reductions for our Island, the greed is outstanding, but you and yours days are numbered

Calm down, grandpa! I'm not suggesting tax reductions but a reversal of tax INCREASES.

Ian Davison has written today on Facebook:

"MR Laurence Skelly. This article is page 4, Isle of Man Independent, 28th April-4th May 2016. As an Independent Manx trader who has a pitch behind the Grandstand for TT and MGP, selling Davison's Manx Ice cream, I have recently heavily criticised Mr Skelly and his department as they have increased my rental and the rents behind the Grandstand for all traders for the TT and MGP, my rental by 40% in the past 3 years this years increase by 25%, making it near unaffordable to trade. This rental increase they said was justified as the foot fall for these events had increased, well these headlines seem to suggest otherwise for this year at least, so Mr Skelly there will be less footfall this year can I have some of my rental back please?"

The above is what I was talking about. He is spot on.

Oh, poor Mr Davison. You don't have a god given right to make a killing selling expensive ice cream. If the rent is too dear, don't pay for a space there. Simple.

The government increased the rents astronomically for no reason. That forces him to increase the price of the ice cream, which ultimately means less people buying so he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, basically being forced out as its not commercially viable (he can't keep prices the same, but people won't pay more = screwed). He has every right to complain.

The government increased the rents astronomically for no reason. That forces him to increase the price of the ice cream, which ultimately means less people buying so he's stuck between a rock and a hard place, basically being forced out as its not commercially viable (he can't keep prices the same, but people won't pay more = screwed). He has every right to complain.

I'm sure the renting out is done by a 3rd party ( fella from Ju-Di ), so maybe he is making the killing. Still, nobody can demand to make money. Business is supply and demand.

You can't go around crying that you must make massive profits all the time .

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

He's not demanding to make money. He's pointing out what a rip off it is.

How much exactly is the rent he's being asked for? Not the % increase, the actual amount.

I'd heard that someone elsewhere on the course (mobile catering) was being charged £20 or 25k for their spot, I'd imagine if that's true that the grandstand would be considerably more.

Archived