TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

Think I read it was £8000 for 12 days? Regardless of whether or not you like Ian Davidson (don't know him myself but some on here appear to have a grudge against him) the Govt has form when it comes to greed. and off island traders also have to fork out Steam racket fares for large containers to bring over their merchandise before they even set up a pitch. Increased footfall is fuck all use if nobody can afford to buy your product because of the prices you have to charge to cover your expenses. Just seems typical of our lot to screw the thing into the ground for their own gain.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ralph Peake had a question down in the Keys the other day on multi-plier effect in the local economy, which he never got to ask (cause they only allow a certain time for questions)

Does most of the money received from franchises just go off island, never to be seen again?

So 5 per cent less visitors. Maybe they should stop increasing the tax on local businesses to sell at TT venues/events or reduce it by 5 per cent.

Are you seriously suggesting more Tax reductions for our Island, the greed is outstanding, but you and yours days are numbered

If you think businesses have such a beano as you are always telling us, why don't you give it a go and start one for yourself? You'll soon be disabused of some of your fantasies I can assure you.

I think the guy who owns the land next to the access road should be forced to sell it to the Government so it can be widened to make it safer and ease traffic flow through there.

Lets make him drain and raise it first thou' eh! Save us the extra bill.

Think I read it was £8000 for 12 days? Regardless of whether or not you like Ian Davidson (don't know him myself but some on here appear to have a grudge against him) the Govt has form when it comes to greed. and off island traders also have to fork out Steam racket fares for large containers to bring over their merchandise before they even set up a pitch. Increased footfall is fuck all use if nobody can afford to buy your product because of the prices you have to charge to cover your expenses. Just seems typical of our lot to screw the thing into the ground for their own gain.

Well time will tell. Davidson has a choice, like everyone. He doesn't have to take a pitch.

Someone else can also look at it and decide if it's worth it. If not, they won't do it.

I think the guy who owns the land next to the access road should be forced to sell it to the Government so it can be widened to make it safer and ease traffic flow through there.

Lets make him drain and raise it first thou' eh! Save us the extra bill.

What's dangerous about the access road?

It's used for a small period of time each year. Have there been any recorded accidents there?

Well time will tell. Davidson has a choice, like everyone. He doesn't have to take a pitch.

Someone else can also look at it and decide if it's worth it. If not, they won't do it.

That makes no sense. The rents are harmful and not commercially viable. Period. They should have never been imposed in the first place as there was no valid justification for it except as another unfair stealth tax.

So 5 per cent less visitors. Maybe they should stop increasing the tax on local businesses to sell at TT venues/events or reduce it by 5 per cent.

Are you seriously suggesting more Tax reductions for our Island, the greed is outstanding, but you and yours days are numbered
Calm down, grandpa! I'm not suggesting tax reductions but a reversal of tax INCREASES.

Ian Davison has written today on Facebook:

"MR Laurence Skelly. This article is page 4, Isle of Man Independent, 28th April-4th May 2016. As an Independent Manx trader who has a pitch behind the Grandstand for TT and MGP, selling Davison's Manx Ice cream, I have recently heavily criticised Mr Skelly and his department as they have increased my rental and the rents behind the Grandstand for all traders for the TT and MGP, my rental by 40% in the past 3 years this years increase by 25%, making it near unaffordable to trade. This rental increase they said was justified as the foot fall for these events had increased, well these headlines seem to suggest otherwise for this year at least, so Mr Skelly there will be less footfall this year can I have some of my rental back please?"

The above is what I was talking about. He is spot on.

Oh, poor Mr Davison. You don't have a god given right to make a killing selling expensive ice cream. If the rent is too dear, don't pay for a space there. Simple.

Well the ice cream in his shops in Peel and Douglas is always good value - NOT expensive. Delicious rum and raisin.

Calm down, grandpa! I'm not suggesting tax reductions but a reversal of tax INCREASES.

Ian Davison has written today on Facebook:

"MR Laurence Skelly. This article is page 4, Isle of Man Independent, 28th April-4th May 2016. As an Independent Manx trader who has a pitch behind the Grandstand for TT and MGP, selling Davison's Manx Ice cream, I have recently heavily criticised Mr Skelly and his department as they have increased my rental and the rents behind the Grandstand for all traders for the TT and MGP, my rental by 40% in the past 3 years this years increase by 25%, making it near unaffordable to trade. This rental increase they said was justified as the foot fall for these events had increased, well these headlines seem to suggest otherwise for this year at least, so Mr Skelly there will be less footfall this year can I have some of my rental back please?"

The above is what I was talking about. He is spot on.

Oh, poor Mr Davison. You don't have a god given right to make a killing selling expensive ice cream. If the rent is too dear, don't pay for a space there. Simple.

Well the ice cream in his shops in Peel and Douglas is always good value - NOT expensive. Delicious rum and raisin.

Davison's "scoop" ice cream is always good and when the Whippy is mixed properly, (not always the case as it is sometimes bitty and soapy) there is nothing better. He deserves the awards he gets for his products, but I still feel that if he can't afford the grandstand rent, then just don't bother.

I know very little about Vision9, who they are or what they are actually supposed to do, but I already know that I don't like them, and that they are going to absolutely fleece everyone for everything they can.

As I understand it their remit is basically to increase visitor numbers to the events and they get paid a fee according to the amount of extra visitors that come in future years. Essentially they are marketing the event.

They are not going to be deciding how much to charge for tickets or merchandise or anything like that.

I thought their remit was to provide or enhance ' new events ' around the TT , or are they , like the Present Organising Team , just going to grab Events already in existence ( some for many years ) and claim them for their own, thereby creating another ' success story ' for Skellys TT Miracle.

Are they not looking to grow to 85000 in the four weeks?

Probably, but that's not the impression most people are getting, they are assuming that this increase will be for TT WEEK and CLASSIC TT / MGP WEEK. As the arrivals for last year for those two periods were around 60,000 to 65 , 000 this expected ( by Vision 9 and Mr Skelly ) increase will be around 20,000 to 25,000 over the 10 year period of the contract , equating to about 2,000 to 2,500 per year , or 1,000 to 1,250 per Event each year. A nice increase but hardly mind- blowing. The plan seems to have got off to a dubious start with expected arrivals figures down by 5% for the coming TT.

Archived