TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

At the presentation to Tynwald, figures 100,000 for the TT and 40,000 for the FOM were bandied about as the aspirational figure at ten years.

That seems very ambitious against the trend. Given the declining interest in motorcycling in general and motorcycle racing in particular.

We are not talking about ' Short Circuit ' racing, but Road Racing. North West 200 around 150,000 spectators, Ulster Grand Prix rising every year, TT , 40,000 plus another 10,000 locals involved or spectating, CLASSIC TT / MGP , 15,000 and rising every year, again plus thousands of locals. Which ' trend ' are you quoting from ? Is it just the ' wishful thinking ' fact file of the Anti- TT Brigade ?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the number of FanZones has actually decreased in the last couple of years. When they first started doing them they had one at Crosby and one at Rhencullen which now aren't there.

If I was a betting man I would suspect all viewing areas will have to be paid for.

You are definitely wrong.

Ok then smartypants how are they going to make their fortune from it then?

Note, i said their fortune not ours.

The deal will see them make money if they can increase the number of visitors which in order to do requires more "events" in the two fortnight periods that involve the racing. For me, that means an increase in track events at the very least.

Your thing about fanzones is just bollocks. There are only a very few places that the government are in control of where they can charge. Such as the grandstand.

For example, Braddan Bridge - people pay to watch there already. And that land is owned privately on one side, and by the church on the other.

When the government put a "fan zone" at the Crosby there it was subject to the farmers permission. Same at Rhencullen and just outside Ballaugh.

And for the most part they were half empty. If you doubt this take a look at the Video footage for last years racing at the Governments ' Fanzone ' at The Creg , half empty even on Senior Day. I will bet there are lots of negotiations going on with Landowners around the Course to free up land for future ' Fanzones' this will of course be nothing to do with Vision 9 , because the TT Top Table have already declared that this company will have NOTHING TO DO WITH RACING ITSELF.

An increase in track events, by implication, means more/longer road closures. That's going to go down like a lead balloon in some quarters?

Unless they go for more use of Jurby a la MGP Vintage Club day?

No, I think we can expect more Scooby laps, even more VIP laps and lots of other parades.

I don't mind if we see more cars TBH.

Of course you won't, there are many many ' car lovers ' who wish to use the Success and Brand of the TT and live of the back of the MOTORCYCLE ROAD RACES. If there is such a demand from the Car culture, then organise an event yourselves, , arrange Road Closures, arrange around 500 VOLUNTEER MARSHALLS. , and stop USING the TT

An increase in track events, by implication, means more/longer road closures. That's going to go down like a lead balloon in some quarters?

To be fair the roads are as good as closed every day anyway more often than not.

But surely you will have a 4x4 won't you , which are designed for rough surfaces, ideal for the IOM. So just drive over wherever you want. That surely must appeal to your philosophy.

So 5 per cent less visitors. Maybe they should stop increasing the tax on local businesses to sell at TT venues/events or reduce it by 5 per cent.

Are you seriously suggesting more Tax reductions for our Island, the greed is outstanding, but you and yours days are numbered

Calm down, grandpa! I'm not suggesting tax reductions but a reversal of tax INCREASES.

Ian Davison has written today on Facebook:

"MR Laurence Skelly. This article is page 4, Isle of Man Independent, 28th April-4th May 2016. As an Independent Manx trader who has a pitch behind the Grandstand for TT and MGP, selling Davison's Manx Ice cream, I have recently heavily criticised Mr Skelly and his department as they have increased my rental and the rents behind the Grandstand for all traders for the TT and MGP, my rental by 40% in the past 3 years this years increase by 25%, making it near unaffordable to trade. This rental increase they said was justified as the foot fall for these events had increased, well these headlines seem to suggest otherwise for this year at least, so Mr Skelly there will be less footfall this year can I have some of my rental back please?"

The above is what I was talking about. He is spot on.

I totally agree, but according to the Organisers ( Skelly ) there is huge demand for the type of Facilities which are ever increasing at the Grandstand ( in order to keep the ever increasing VIP attendance happy ) with the total support of Skelly. So I have to ask, is it not plain that all prices and costs at the Grandstand have, and will continue to, increase as long as Skellys dream ( nightmare ) for the TT is allowed to flourish

So 5 per cent less visitors. Maybe they should stop increasing the tax on local businesses to sell at TT venues/events or reduce it by 5 per cent.

Are you seriously suggesting more Tax reductions for our Island, the greed is outstanding, but you and yours days are numbered

If you think businesses have such a beano as you are always telling us, why don't you give it a go and start one for yourself? You'll soon be disabused of some of your fantasies I can assure you.

According to Bell all is well for Business on the Island, and there is a Big Pot of Public money now available to help anyone who ' has a plan ' . I've done my 45 years of work on the Island , many of them in business on my own, and no it wasn't easy, mabye that's the problem, lots of people think it will be a doddle

If you think businesses have such a beano as you are always telling us, why don't you give it a go and start one for yourself? You'll soon be disabused of some of your fantasies I can assure you.
According to Bell all is well for Business on the Island, and there is a Big Pot of Public money now available to help anyone who ' has a plan ' . I've done my 45 years of work on the Island , many of them in business on my own, and no it wasn't easy, mabye that's the problem, lots of people think it will be a doddle

It is a doddle if your a mediocre MHK concerned with dog shit, chewing gum or granny farming. If you can get hitched on to the gravy train ............ your made for life. Sadly for the rest of us a hard slog at life awaits.

No, I think we can expect more Scooby laps, even more VIP laps and lots of other parades.

Of course you won't, there are many many ' car lovers ' who wish to use the Success and Brand of the TT and live of the back of the MOTORCYCLE ROAD RACES. If there is such a demand from the Car culture, then organise an event yourselves, , arrange Road Closures, arrange around 500 VOLUNTEER MARSHALLS. , and stop USING the TT

I suppose the TT organisers are lucky that you are not their spokesperson.

The TT needs all the support it can get these days, as more and more locals are getting pissed off with all the closures and becoming more concerned about the number of fatalities etc.

I sit on the fence on the TT, like so many locals do and it is very easy for blinkered old duffers like you to tip the scales.

If you think the TT will get better, or even continue, without extra funding, as in Subaru money and other sponsors that you don't agree with, then you really are a fool.

I personally don't think vision 9 will do any good for the racing at all and may end up teasing non-bikers here for other non-bike related events or concerts, at the expense of some bikers' ability to get flight or boat tickets.

I also think that just about all the people that want to see the TT actually do and don't think there are any more people to boost the figures.

The TT started as MOTOR CAR RACES and then went to motorcycles, obviously wishing to use the success and brand off the back of MOTOR CAR RACES.

That seems very ambitious against the trend. Given the declining interest in motorcycling in general and motorcycle racing in particular.

Which ' trend ' are you quoting from ? Is it just the ' wishful thinking ' fact file of the Anti- TT Brigade ?

Consumer data clearly show that the average age of motorcyclists is dramatically increasing. And the sport has more or less collapsed gone into significant decline in the US. Is there a good reason not to see this as likely prophetic?

Which ' trend ' are you quoting from ? Is it just the ' wishful thinking ' fact file of the Anti- TT Brigade ?

Consumer data clearly show that the average age of motorcyclists is dramatically increasing. And the sport has more or less collapsed gone into significant decline in the US. Is there a good reason not to see this as likely prophetic?

Unfortunately this is quite true, new entrants to motorcycling tend to be older too. Younger people are put off by the barriers to getting on a bike these days and tend to get their kicks from computer games.

The Japanese factories commissioned a study of their own home market which reached these conclusions after it was found that 16 - 25 year old new riders were down by 60% over ten years. It is being reflected around the world with the 45+ age group making the largest sector of new riders and the largest group of motorcycle licence holders being 60-75 years old.

I suppose the TT organisers are lucky that you are not their spokesperson.

The TT needs all the support it can get these days, as more and more locals are getting pissed off with all the closures and becoming more concerned about the number of fatalities etc.

I sit on the fence on the TT, like so many locals do and it is very easy for blinkered old duffers like you to tip the scales.

If you think the TT will get better, or even continue, without extra funding, as in Subaru money and other sponsors that you don't agree with, then you really are a fool.

I personally don't think vision 9 will do any good for the racing at all and may end up teasing non-bikers here for other non-bike related events or concerts, at the expense of some bikers' ability to get flight or boat tickets.

I also think that just about all the people that want to see the TT actually do and don't think there are any more people to boost the figures.

It has been common knowledge for many years that the TT could attract double the numbers it does, so that part of your argument is tripe. You certainly aren't sitting on the fence with your assertions that ' more and more Locals are getting fed up with the TT ' where are the facts to back that up ? Again tripe. My argument against cars ( Subaru ) is purely that there must be Motorcycle companies willing to provide more support for ' The Greatest Motorcycle Road Races in the World ' The Car connection is purely greedy concerns seeing an opportunity to USE the TT Brand to feed their greed. The TT / MGP are Motorcycle Road Races , known throughout the World by Road Race fans. As I say if there is such a demand for Car Events here, go and Organise them, and stop living of the back of the TT. I agree about Vision 9 by the way, just another example of a bunch on Whiz Kids co- opting other Whiz Kids to ' come to the Isle of Man and make some money ' no knowledge of Motorcycle Road Racing required, there are plenty of true fans , Marshall's , Supporters on the IOM to sort the Racing out, and all of them will do it for nothing. Job done.

Unfortunately this is quite true, new entrants to motorcycling tend to be older too. Younger people are put off by the barriers to getting on a bike these days and tend to get their kicks from computer games.

The Japanese factories commissioned a study of their own home market which reached these conclusions after it was found that 16 - 25 year old new riders were down by 60% over ten years. It is being reflected around the world with the 45+ age group making the largest sector of new riders and the largest group of motorcycle licence holders being 60-75 years old.

[/quote

But we are not in the USA or Japan, and according to the latest ' Experts ' employed by our Government, there are tens of thousands more bike riders and fans wanting to come to our Island to see Real Road Racing, and spend vast amounts of money, so your arguments are pointless.

Archived