TT Visitors Down By 5%

ManxTaxPayer

Of course you won't, there are many many ' car lovers ' who wish to use the Success and Brand of the TT and live of the back of the MOTORCYCLE ROAD RACES. If there is such a demand from the Car culture, then organise an event yourselves, , arrange Road Closures, arrange around 500 VOLUNTEER MARSHALLS. , and stop USING the TT

The TT started as MOTOR CAR RACES and then went to motorcycles, obviously wishing to use the success and brand off the back of MOTOR CAR RACES.

You have won the ' Most Stupid comment on the TT 2016 ' a month before the events starts. Congratulations from ' wearelivingofthebackoftheTT.com.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems very ambitious against the trend. Given the declining interest in motorcycling in general and motorcycle racing in particular.

Which ' trend ' are you quoting from ? Is it just the ' wishful thinking ' fact file of the Anti- TT Brigade ?

Consumer data clearly show that the average age of motorcyclists is dramatically increasing. And the sport has more or less collapsed gone into significant decline in the US. Is there a good reason not to see this as likely prophetic?

Unfortunately this is quite true, new entrants to motorcycling tend to be older too. Younger people are put off by the barriers to getting on a bike these days and tend to get their kicks from computer games.

The Japanese factories commissioned a study of their own home market which reached these conclusions after it was found that 16 - 25 year old new riders were down by 60% over ten years. It is being reflected around the world with the 45+ age group making the largest sector of new riders and the largest group of motorcycle licence holders being 60-75 years old.

[/quote

But we are not in the USA or Japan, and according to the latest ' Experts ' employed by our Government, there are tens of thousands more bike riders and fans wanting to come to our Island to see Real Road Racing, and spend vast amounts of money, so your arguments are pointless.

But you don't really believe that do you?

Of course you won't, there are many many ' car lovers ' who wish to use the Success and Brand of the TT and live of the back of the MOTORCYCLE ROAD RACES. If there is such a demand from the Car culture, then organise an event yourselves, , arrange Road Closures, arrange around 500 VOLUNTEER MARSHALLS. , and stop USING the TT

The TT started as MOTOR CAR RACES and then went to motorcycles, obviously wishing to use the success and brand off the back of MOTOR CAR RACES.

You have won the ' Most Stupid comment on the TT 2016 ' a month before the events starts. Congratulations from ' wearelivingofthebackoftheTT.com.

Thanks! thumbsup.gif

An increase in track events, by implication, means more/longer road closures. That's going to go down like a lead balloon in some quarters?

Unless they go for more use of Jurby a la MGP Vintage Club day?

No, I think we can expect more Scooby laps, even more VIP laps and lots of other parades.

I don't mind if we see more cars TBH.

I suppose the TT organisers are lucky that you are not their spokesperson.

The TT needs all the support it can get these days, as more and more locals are getting pissed off with all the closures and becoming more concerned about the number of fatalities etc.

I sit on the fence on the TT, like so many locals do and it is very easy for blinkered old duffers like you to tip the scales.

If you think the TT will get better, or even continue, without extra funding, as in Subaru money and other sponsors that you don't agree with, then you really are a fool.

I personally don't think vision 9 will do any good for the racing at all and may end up teasing non-bikers here for other non-bike related events or concerts, at the expense of some bikers' ability to get flight or boat tickets.

I also think that just about all the people that want to see the TT actually do and don't think there are any more people to boost the figures.

This occurred to me as well. Accommodation issues notwithstanding, could we possibly see "bona-fide" TT/bike fans being squeezed and priced out of attending the TT because of other, concurrent events being organised to "increase the event appeal" (you know, yurt meets, Weed Festivals, Flesh Parties etc etc)

As others have posted, bikers are essentially an aging demographic, many of the current are "born again", having discharged their family etc duties. But are they the wealthiest people in the world? Probably not. Would they have much of an interest in the "concurrent events"? Possibly not. Would Government and Vision9 be prepared to sacrifice them in pursuit of the Great God Dollar? Quite probably, unfortunately.

[

But we are not in the USA or Japan, and according to the latest ' Experts ' employed by our Government, there are tens of thousands more bike riders and fans wanting to come to our Island to see Real Road Racing, and spend vast amounts of money, so your arguments are pointless.

Over the years I have met and made new friends of so many people visiting for the TT and always get told that they themselves know so many people back home who want to come to the TT but it can be very difficult to get everything to fall into place at the right time. By far the biggest barriers though are the price (and suitable times) of travel and the availability of accommodation. If answers could be found to these hurdles there are many many more people waiting to come here. Dilly, you might know of more and more locals 'sitting on the fence' about the TT, but I've never met any, the TT is a passion, it doesn't just go away if you're a true fan, and anybody who suddenly decides otherwise was never a true fan in the first place imho. That's ok, if someone doesn't like the TT fair enough, but it doesn't mean that bikers and fans are bad people because they do like it. I know that's not Diligaf's opinion, but it is definitely the opinion of some, and they seem to want to turn the whole thing into an 'us and them' situation.

That seems very ambitious against the trend. Given the declining interest in motorcycling in general and motorcycle racing in particular.

Which ' trend ' are you quoting from ? Is it just the ' wishful thinking ' fact file of the Anti- TT Brigade ?

Consumer data clearly show that the average age of motorcyclists is dramatically increasing. And the sport has more or less collapsed gone into significant decline in the US. Is there a good reason not to see this as likely prophetic?

Unfortunately this is quite true, new entrants to motorcycling tend to be older too. Younger people are put off by the barriers to getting on a bike these days and tend to get their kicks from computer games.

The Japanese factories commissioned a study of their own home market which reached these conclusions after it was found that 16 - 25 year old new riders were down by 60% over ten years. It is being reflected around the world with the 45+ age group making the largest sector of new riders and the largest group of motorcycle licence holders being 60-75 years old.

[/quote

I believe it in the same terms that I believe " We are Not a Tax Haven ' : ' We Have an excellent relationship with the British Government ' , ' I don't know if I will run in the next general Election ' ( Bell )

An increase in track events, by implication, means more/longer road closures. That's going to go down like a lead balloon in some quarters?

Unless they go for more use of Jurby a la MGP Vintage Club day?

No, I think we can expect more Scooby laps, even more VIP laps and lots of other parades.

I don't mind if we see more cars TBH.

I suppose the TT organisers are lucky that you are not their spokesperson.

The TT needs all the support it can get these days, as more and more locals are getting pissed off with all the closures and becoming more concerned about the number of fatalities etc.

I sit on the fence on the TT, like so many locals do and it is very easy for blinkered old duffers like you to tip the scales.

If you think the TT will get better, or even continue, without extra funding, as in Subaru money and other sponsors that you don't agree with, then you really are a fool.

I personally don't think vision 9 will do any good for the racing at all and may end up teasing non-bikers here for other non-bike related events or concerts, at the expense of some bikers' ability to get flight or boat tickets.

I also think that just about all the people that want to see the TT actually do and don't think there are any more people to boost the figures.

This occurred to me as well. Accommodation issues notwithstanding, could we possibly see "bona-fide" TT/bike fans being squeezed and priced out of attending the TT because of other, concurrent events being organised to "increase the event appeal" (you know, yurt meets, Weed Festivals, Flesh Parties etc etc)

As others have posted, bikers are essentially an aging demographic, many of the current are "born again", having discharged their family etc duties. But are they the wealthiest people in the world? Probably not. Would they have much of an interest in the "concurrent events"? Possibly not. Would Government and Vision9 be prepared to sacrifice them in pursuit of the Great God Dollar? Quite probably, unfortunately.

It has been many many years since we have attracted ' Boy Racers ' to the TT. The event is Historic and entirely different from the normal Short Circuit Racing that these fans attend. The vast majority of TT fans come back to the Island year after year and are true Road Racing Fans. The Born Again rider types have been targeted in recent years by the Organisers in the mistaken belief that they will spend vast amounts of money. The typical visitor of this type will give it a try once, then try something else the following year. The true fans come year after year in the same numbers, spend a lot of money throughout the Island ( Not just in Douglas ) cause little or no bother or complaints ( apart from a few winging car drivers and pumped - up Businessmen ) and many give of their time to Marshall the event free of charge. However I totally agree with the final part of your comment in that the The Government ( plus Skelly ) would dish them without thought if they thought they could get another bunch of VIPs to fawn over, in the hope they will invest some of their ill gotten gains in the Island. Three points 1. Get rid of Skelly ( either from the TT or via the Ballot Box, preferably both ) 2 . Cancel this ridiculous contract with Vision 9. 3. Give the Races back to the people who know them and love them, and will do nothing to risk their future.

[

Over the years I have met and made new friends of so many people visiting for the TT and always get told that they themselves know so many people back home who want to come to the TT but it can be very difficult to get everything to fall into place at the right time. By far the biggest barriers though are the price (and suitable times) of travel and the availability of accommodation. If answers could be found to these hurdles there are many many more people waiting to come here. Dilly, you might know of more and more locals 'sitting on the fence' about the TT, but I've never met any, the TT is a passion, it doesn't just go away if you're a true fan, and anybody who suddenly decides otherwise was never a true fan in the first place imho. That's ok, if someone doesn't like the TT fair enough, but it doesn't mean that bikers and fans are bad people because they do like it. I know that's not Diligaf's opinion, but it is definitely the opinion of some, and they seem to want to turn the whole thing into an 'us and them' situation.

Agree totally, and don't let the dissenters dishearten you. They are very very few in numbers ( mostly on this site I think ) and the Island is full of die hard TT fans who as you say will be true to the TT/ MGP for many many years to come. Roll on the end of May

[/quote

I believe it in the same terms that I believe " We are Not a Tax Haven ' : ' We Have an excellent relationship with the British Government ' , ' I don't know if I will run in the next general Election ' ( Bell )

I think you need to reprogram your Enigma machine.

[/quote

I think you need to reprogram your Enigma machine.

I think mental44 got it mixed up with his Enema machine this morning.

Archived