Joking part, these boards have been full of comments about why the Bishop should not occupy a place in Tynwald, so it’s a bit off when an MHK finally bites the bullet to address it, only to be met on MF by cries of, ‘It’s not enough, they should be doing more, it’s not a priority!’

Bloody hell. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Joking part, these boards have been full of comments about why the Bishop should not occupy a place in Tynwald, so it’s a bit off when an MHK finally bites the bullet to address it, only to be met on MF by cries of, ‘It’s not enough, they should be doing more, it’s not a priority!’

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

The whole upper chamber needs revising and the Bishop is only a small part of that ie there’s no point complaining the Bish has no public mandate when none of them have…

I agree with the  Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis.

31 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Bloody hell. 

Over the last week, the island, its political establishment and judicial system have been heavily criticised, been forced to pay financial damages, and has suffered reputational damage, of its own making. When a proportion of MHKs are trying to ensure that at the next Tynpotwald sitting, a motion calling for select committee is set up to investigate. I would say that constitutional change over a ‘minor’ figure is at the bottom of the todo list. Joney Faragher MHKfellow MLP member Sarah Maltby MHK who is a department member within the Treasury will have to find £3.2 million +, plus paying legal fees etc. Which department will suffer cutbacks? 

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

The whole upper chamber needs revising and the Bishop is only a small part of that ie there’s no point complaining the Bish has no public mandate when none of them have…

I agree. But in the short term dethroning the Bishop would be a good start (and would be a more achievable goal than wholesale reform).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Over the last week, the island, its political establishment and judicial system have been heavily criticised, been forced to pay financial damages, and has suffered reputational damage, of its own making. When a proportion of MHKs are trying to ensure that at the next Tynpotwald sitting, a motion calling for select committee is set up to investigate. I would say that constitutional change over a ‘minor’ figure is at the bottom of the todo list. Joney Faragher MHKfellow MLP member Sarah Maltby MHK who is a department member within the Treasury will have to find £3.2 million +, plus paying legal fees etc. Which department will suffer cutbacks? 

So, would you have preferred that the work the MHK did to prepare for this motion should have been abandoned? 

Of course the government are in trouble. Of course they are going to be under scrutiny. Of course it’s going to cost us millions.

On the basis of your argument would you suggest that all MHKS and government Ministers down tools and stop working toward their goals because the government is in a mess?

I’m interested to know how you think that may play out to suit your point of view.

And what’s your gripe about Sarah Maltby in all this again? Apart from her being a woman, of course.   

38 minutes ago, 2112 said:

If anything, the Manx judicial system, Tribunals included, have proved they are very fit for purpose.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Absolutely agree. 

But there are obvious comparisons to be drawn here. Maybe now is not the time though

I agree the bishop should be removed, his presence is undemocratic and the opportunity of him leaving his post after six years should be taken in achieving this.

I do however think that to further democracy and meaningful constitutional reform, a much more important opportunity has recently been missed, with the passing of queen Elizabeth. The title of lord of man is a completely unnecessary, archaic and condescending title that is long overdue consigning to the history books. The nonsense that is all our democratic legislation requiring royal assent is a far greater barrier to our democracy than any member of Legco.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I agree the bishop should be removed, his presence is undemocratic and the opportunity of him leaving his post after six years should be taken in achieving this.

I do however think that to further democracy and meaningful constitutional reform, a much more important opportunity has recently been missed, with the passing of queen Elizabeth. The title of lord of man is a completely unnecessary, archaic and condescending title that is long overdue consigning to the history books. The nonsense that is all our democratic legislation requiring royal assent is a far greater barrier to our democracy than any member of Legco.

A bit difficult as we are a Crown Possession? 

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

A bit difficult as we are a Crown Possession? 

You sound like Stu Peters. Just because something is a bit difficult doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do it and it certainly doesn't mean it can't be done.

Half the world were crown possessions at some point - they have modernised and so should we.

• Like 1