I thought were the 'world class' model system which brought people from far and wide (and sent CS bods elsewhere) to advise how it should be done :lol:

No no, we didn't send CS bods...we sent that global parliamentary super-ego Rodan...the pompous twats' pompous twat.

• Like 2

I thought were the 'world class' model system which brought people from far and wide (and sent CS bods elsewhere) to advise how it should be done laugh.png

No no, we didn't send CS bods...we sent that global parliamentary super-ego Rodan...the pompous twats' pompous twat.

it was a different CS bod (CK) I was referring to who went to Sark to teach them how to run the world

I thought were the 'world class' model system which brought people from far and wide (and sent CS bods elsewhere) to advise how it should be done laugh.png

it was a different CS bod (CK) I was referring to who went to Sark to teach them how to run the world

Colin Kniveton

https://www.gov.im/news/2014/mar/19/colin-kniveton-appointed-interim-chief-executive-of-department-of-health-and-social-care/

I thought were the 'world class' model system which brought people from far and wide (and sent CS bods elsewhere) to advise how it should be done :lol:

Sorry, I misunderstood. Actually, did he ever come back? What on earth happened to him? He had quite a high profile at one time, went to Sark and disappeared utterly. How odd.

Edited to add...sorry, I've now read that link. So he went to DHSC as an interim, presumably (by the date) pre-Charters...and then what?

Edited by Uhtred

Doesn't look like a member of the privileged classes , does he ? so we should be in for a completely unbiased and independent view. Nothing changes. On the others hand mabye everything could change for some , one thing for sure the less well off will not be gaining anything, just look at him.

Doesn't look like a member of the privileged classes , does he ? so we should be in for a completely unbiased and independent view. Nothing changes. On the others hand mabye everything could change for some , one thing for sure the less well off will not be gaining anything, just look at him.

so the oldest continuous parliament in the world takes advice from someone else ?

so the oldest continuous parliament in the world takes advice from someone else ?

I seem to remember reading somewhere ages ago that the ' The British ( English ) Government are responsible for the ' Good Governence of the Isle of Man ' . Mabye the English Government think some of our Government are not as clever as they think they are. One way or the other - look out, the net is closing on the IOM

Sorry, I misunderstood. Actually, did he ever come back? What on earth happened to him? He had quite a high profile at one time, went to Sark and disappeared utterly. How odd.

Edited to add...sorry, I've now read that link. So he went to DHSC as an interim, presumably (by the date) pre-Charters...and then what?

It wasn't so long ago that the movements within the Civil Service were pubished inthe newspapers - new starts, promotions, retirements etc.

It's public money and the public need to how their money is being spent.

The likes of the Civil Service Commission is worthless. Chairman John Houghton since 2004 - utter numpty - demonstrates how putting such a person in a high powered position and stroking his ego, will make him as manipulable and compliant as needed.

Edited by one hung low
  • Like 3

It strikes me that a lot of the chat on Manxforums arises from dissatisfaction with the political system.

The Lisvane review presents an opportunity to take the complaints to someone who just might be able to help.

He's a clever bloke and very experienced. It would be a pity if he only heard the establishment view.

I note Chris Thomas has a written wuestion for next Tuesday's Keys:

1. The Hon. Member for Douglas West (Mr Thomas) to ask the Chief Minister –

What the format, destination and deadline for written submissions to Lord Lisvane’s Inquiry into the Functioning of the Branches of Tynwald is; and when and how Lord Lisvane will hear oral evidence in public?

• Like 3

I think there is more chance of getting change in Tynwald with Lord Lisvane because otherwise we will go on for years having people like Chris Thomas trying to tinker round the edges with a system that needs rethinking.

I trust Manx Forum members will be making submissions and getting their ideas across to him.

It wasn't so long ago that the movements within the Civil Service were pubished inthe newspapers - new starts, promotions, retirements etc.

It's public money and the public need to how their money is being spent.

The likes of the Civil Service Commission is worthless. Chairman John Houghton since 2004 - utter numpty - demonstrates how putting such a person in a high powered position and stroking his ego, will make him as manipulable and compliant as needed.

I certainly don't disagree, least of all with your assessment of Houghton..."utter numpty" being the kindest thing you could ever say about him, although I think Cannan replaced Houghton as chair of the civil service commission about 3 or 4 years ago, because I remember a series of exchanges in the media between Cannan and Ms. Moffatt in which latter rather ran rings around the member for Michael. In fact, just thinking as I type, Cannan himself has been replaced because that new public services commission, or whatever the employing body is now called, went into the Robertshaw empire, which is now of course the Shimmin empire. (Until September).

Also, are you suggesting that the former policy of publicizing civil service "movements" has been consciously abandoned? Because you certainly seem to be on the money that they aren't as prevalent as they once were.

I think there is more chance of getting change in Tynwald with Lord Lisvane because otherwise we will go on for years having people like Chris Thomas trying to tinker round the edges with a system that needs rethinking.

I trust Manx Forum members will be making submissions and getting their ideas across to him.

I am not sure I am tinkering around the edges.

Having only elected Keys member vote for the Chief Minister seems a significant change, as does moving to a Single Chamber Tynwald, comprising Keys voting members and perhaps also non-voting indirectly elected representatives.

It was my motion in May 2015 that established this Independent Inquiry considering the FUNCTIONING OF THE BRANCHES OF TYNWALD etc..

As I said to an apparently angry Peter Karran in Tynwald this month when he was trying to get me to give way in my summing up: "but what I am trying to do is to go beyond 30-year politicians who say, ‘I tried this. It did not work. Let’s try it again,’...... I have tried to look at this anew. I am trying to look at this anew. Putting down the way that we vote (added: for Chief Minister) is some little change that we have made. This is another little change. We have reviewed, in our Committee, the committee system, and I genuinely think that this is a moment, with the Tynwald Inquiry, where we could end up with a small amount of incremental tiny steps and actually make sure the public understand what we are doing, and therefore we will make sure we maintain our connection between this ancient, valuable Tynwald and the contemporary public".

You are right. I doubt Lord Lisvane will cite arguments in Manx Forums. I believe he will find Manx Forum contributors' contributions helpful if they are submitted formally.

Citing the press release:

"The selection of witnesses to give oral evidence is at Lord Lisvane’s discretion, but written submissions are welcome, and should be addressed to the Secretary.

They should be received by Thursday 2nd June in order to be taken fully into account in the Review.

Receipt by 13th May will allow Lord Lisvane to decide whether to take oral evidence on a submission.

At its sitting in June 2015 Tynwald resolved:

That the Isle of Man Government should establish an independent review using its powers under the Inquiries (Evidence) Act 2003 examine the functioning of the branches of Tynwald and to consider options for reform.

The Isle of Man Government has asked Lord Lisvane KCB DL to undertake the Review and to report to Tynwald for its sitting on 19th July 2016.

Lord Lisvane has been asked to:

• examine the functions of the branches of Tynwald

• assess their efficacy

• consider the scrutiny structure required by the parliament

• recommend any options for reform

Under section 4 of the Inquiries (Evidence) Act 2003, the proceedings of the Review will be held in public, at the Legislative Council Chamber, Legislative Buildings, Finch Road, Douglas.

Times of sittings and the names of witnesses will be published on the Review’s webpage https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/offices/cabinet-office/review-of-the-functioning-of-tynwald/, hosted on the Isle of Man Government website.

The sittings will be live streamed via a link on the Tynwald website (www.tynwald.org.im) and will be recorded and a transcript produced by the Tynwald Hansard Team.

The contact point for the inquiry is Michelle Norman, Secretary to Lord Lisvane’s Review, c/o Attorney General's Chambers, 3rd Floor, St. Mary's Court, Hill Street, Douglas, Isle of Man. IM1 1EU, telephone (01624) 685452, e-mail SecretaryTynwaldReview@gov.im.

All evidence received, both written submissions and transcripts of the oral evidence, will be published on the Review’s webpage. If all or part of a submission is not for publication, this must be clearly indicated."

Edited by Chris Thomas
  • Like 2

How might the people decide on what recommendations should be implemented?

Can Tynwald be trusted to narrow options down to those that might be included in a national referendum

Or should we have a 'Citizen Assembly' to decide?

Can't imagine anyone trusts Tynwald themselves to vote other than in their own interests

• Like 1