They can appear to be subtle when they want to. Especially where there is long established protocol as is the case in dealings with the Crown Dependencies. You only need to look at the various VAT "renegotiations" to appreciate the nature of this dance. Everything was oh so diplomatic but the message was loud, clear and uncompromising.

This has London stamped all over it for me. But even if it hasn't, my earlier questions hold good. What is the process from Tynwald resolution to the appointment of Lord Lisvane? That's a hell of a jump and we know nothing about it whatsoever. Is that acceptable to the Isle of Man? Who chose him? Who is he answerable to? Will he be assisted in framing the recommendations?

I suspect that the problem is that whilst the IOM Government has a difficulty answering the question 'What happens when the reserves run out?' the UK civil service, being able to read a balance sheet, knows the answer.

The IOM Government is not allowed to raise debt (i.e. borrow money) so come the day we hit the financial buffers the UK Government will have to step in. Nobody, on either side of the water, wants that. Hence the review to try and find out why it is so difficult for the IOM Government to take executive action with it's finances.

The problem, as far as I see it, is that however you frame the rules of Tynwald and the Government you are pretty much stuck with the people in it. On many issues they simply won't budge - not least when it comes to cutting their own salaries.

Edited by Cronky
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...

MR News. Lisvane debate delayed until June, to allow for further consideration. Lisvane himself due back on Island in May.

Hope he's not expecting any progress.

• Like 1

fudge the issue (third-person singular simple present fudges the issue, present participle fudging the issue, simple past and past participle fudged the issue)

1. (idiomatic) Adopt a solution to a specific problem which does not address the larger, more general problem of which the specific problem is an instance.

This, the Lisvane report, is the very last thing we need to effect reform of our system.

It will allow our parliamentarians to say that they have done something while not addressing the real reforms of our outmoded tri cameral system of government.

It will be the end of any real reforms that we need for 20 years.

Edited by Kopek

@DT...

Thanks for putting up the link. Lisvane makes sensible proposals and LH's comments are thoughtful. It will interesting to see how many recommendations are taken on board and the time it takes for any implementation.

I'm cynical...

• Like 1

Lisvane makes sensible proposals

I'm not convinced. His proposals might be sensible in a larger state but I think he's missed the point that this is a closed community of approx 80,000 odd people.

ETA: Obviously I didn't mean odd in the peculiar sense.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1