The focus of Lisvane was governance and how it is structured here, not so much the community, although there is the obvious knock-on affect on those who are governed. I'm cynical too; most Manx people have little interest in politics and short memories to boot. Any recommendations will be taken on board by the gang and, I fear, quietly forgotten with little change in the political environment.

OK. For instance, to give an idea what I mean about it being suitable for a larger state but not a small island:

Recommendation 1 – Election of the Members of the Legislative Council (MLCs):
  1. That the House of Keys remain the electoral college but that all candidates for election be nominated by an independent Nominations Commission;
  2. That the Nominations Commission be charged with increasing the diversity of the Legislative Council;
  3. That no sitting MHK be eligible for nomination;
  4. That no proposer or seconder be required;
  5. That the vote be open; and
  6. That the candidates fill the available places in the order of the votes they secure in a single round of voting; a tie for last place would require a run-off.

"all candidates for election be nominated by an independent Nominations Commission;" So that might be fine and dandy in London, but can you imagine it here? For a start, who is going to be on the Nominations Commission? Given the cloistered nature of the great and good here, how is that going to be any less "clubby clubby" than the current system. OK he does say that no sitting MHKs be eligible for nomination, but that doesn't bar failed ones either from standing or indeed being on the Nominations Commission.

I think the whole thing is disappointing. I thought he might have come up with some streamlining proposals that would have saved us some money, but not a bit of it. If anything, it will cost money to implement. Belt tightening clearly was not in his terms of reference at all, and of course, taking into account his day job it is scarcely surprising.

Possibly an error in the link I posted as I am a subscriber to the finer thinking of Lawrie Hooper MHK

Anyway, should the Lisvane recommendations be discussed on here in detail to give our political reps something to think on?

Or should we not bother...

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, asitis said:

Not exactly this year's biggest political shock. Paragon of the status quo Quayle, a man with no imagination but a firm grasp on self-interest, won't want Tynwald moving in the direction of democracy which is what, despite a number of visible failings, Lisvane does. The cozy inter-relationship between Tynwald and government, entwined in a mutual feast of self-serving gravy consumption, delivers far too much to our political cadre for any forward-looking boat-rocking thank you. Perhaps it's unsurprising that reactionary Quayle knows how to keep his bread buttered but the (apparent) disinterest in parliamentary advancement demonstrated by the newly elected - and seemingly subservient - MHKs is as depressing as it is unsurprising. Let's see who speaks up for reform in the debate. Don't hold your breath.

On the theme of the newbies, are Moorhouse, Corlett and Quirk dead? It's the only explanation that seems to fit their current disappearance from society.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

Quirk? His disappearance can be explained easily enough. 

My apologies - I meant Daphne Caine. And while I'm at it, Bill Shimmins too.