Douglas South

Mission

Only one person I would vote for out of choice, so the other vote will be on the basis of comedy value.

It's a tough year for the best comedy candidate Malarky is 'complete cock' funny, whilst David Fowler is 'not of this world' funny though not sure whether he has peaked too soon, I suppose its kind of humorous voting for anyone called Keith but its just not the standard we expect in South Douglas, what happened to Big Tits, The U-Boat Captain, the burger chef or even that mumbling german in a duffle coat?

Sounds like an episode of 'allo 'allo...

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an interesting requisition meeting last night. Probably 80 to 90 people in attendance, with a broad age range and varied interests. Subjects from tax & spend, Nobles & health care, education & class sizes through to more contentious cannabis & abortion. Almost no questions were of a constituency level, everyone was concerned about national issues. Hopefully people went away with a better understanding of the candidates, although unfortunately Kate was unable to attend having had to leave the Island for "urgent family matters".

If anyone from Douglas South still wants to see me, to question me personally, please get in touch. If you haven't seen it and would like to, my manifesto is available on-line.

http://douglassouth.im/Manifesto.pdf

Well if he comes round my way I will!

Because of my late decision to stand, it isn't going to be possible to get out to many people by knocking on doors. I'm actually still working next week, then only taking a couple of weeks off before the election.

However, if anyone who lives in Douglas South would like to contact me, I'll be happy to arrange to visit you at a convenient time. I've had a couple of people text me to arrange a visit so if you'd like to wait a few days, so as to protect your Manx Forums identity, then email me keith.fitton@manx.net, phone/text 235043 or contact via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DouglasSouth2016/

I don't live in South Douglas. I have no opportunity to vote for you or any other in that constituency. If you are elected what are your plans to introduce,and how long do you think it will take before we have valid democratic system in place?

Edit To Add: or should I just assume you as a Douglas South local representative only? A sort of over paid Local Councillor,shall we say.

Well, first off, I'm going to try and avoid making promises I may not be able to keep. What I would like to do, what I intend to do and what I'll actually be able to achieve are three different things. If elected, I'm certainly not going to be the Chief Minister, so what I could achieve will depend largely upon who the new CM is and what their programme for government looks like.

In terms of improving our democratic system, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Lord Lisvane's report as I fully expected it to be a cosy establishment 'everything is fine'. In fact he's produced a decent report in my opinion. There are some areas that I disagree with and would like to see further action. I don't think the Bishop should have a role in government and I'd like to see Legislative Council reduced in size. I'm also concerned that the proposed committee to recommended nominations for new LC members would become an establishment committee in itself, 'recommending the right people'. But, in general, I can accept the parts of the report that I disagree with, if it meant getting the important aspects through. Key among those would be (in my opinion) MLC's not able to be Ministers or Department Members and sitting MHK's not being eligible for nomination to MLC.

As for 'how long'? I think that there are times when our government spends forever navel gazing rather than actually making a difference. They appeared to spend more time discussing whether or not they should pay for parking than they did on important issues like a definition of 'fuel poverty' & how many pensioners are in it, or the increased need for food banks on the Isle of Man. So although Lord Lisvane suggested that his recommendations could be a 'pick & mix', I would rather accept it in entirety and get on with it, rather than spend forever arguing over pet interests and getting nowhere. If that means that I would keep my mouth shut regarding the Bishop remaining, in exchange for getting the rest of it through, then that's a pragmatic response that I would be happy with.

So as an example of the original point, what I would like is for the Bishop not to have a position in government but what I would do, is accept his position if it meant even more important issues got through in a timely manner.

The Bishop does NOT have any position in Government.

He has a position in the Parliament.

You would expect prospective candidates for the job would understand the difference between Government and Parliament.

I'll bet Fitton's not alone among prospective candidates in his ignorance on that matter Whimsy.

Well Leonard Singer reckons he hasn't been in government despite being in two government departments.

Only one person I would vote for out of choice, so the other vote will be on the basis of comedy value.

It's a tough year for the best comedy candidate Malarky is 'complete cock' funny, whilst David Fowler is 'not of this world' funny though not sure whether he has peaked too soon, I suppose its kind of humorous voting for anyone called Keith but its just not the standard we expect in South Douglas, what happened to Big Tits, The U-Boat Captain, the burger chef or even that mumbling german in a duffle coat?

I reckon David Fowler should turn it up a notch-buy an even louder suit-ham it up a bit and become a real character-like Nigel Farage.

People like a bit of individuality to stand out from the crowd who are all 'going forward' and 'hitting the ground running'.

Go for it Mr Fowler!

Well if he comes round my way I will!

Because of my late decision to stand, it isn't going to be possible to get out to many people by knocking on doors. I'm actually still working next week, then only taking a couple of weeks off before the election.

However, if anyone who lives in Douglas South would like to contact me, I'll be happy to arrange to visit you at a convenient time. I've had a couple of people text me to arrange a visit so if you'd like to wait a few days, so as to protect your Manx Forums identity, then email me keith.fitton@manx.net, phone/text 235043 or contact via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DouglasSouth2016/

I don't live in South Douglas. I have no opportunity to vote for you or any other in that constituency. If you are elected what are your plans to introduce,and how long do you think it will take before we have valid democratic system in place?

Edit To Add: or should I just assume you as a Douglas South local representative only? A sort of over paid Local Councillor,shall we say.

Well, first off, I'm going to try and avoid making promises I may not be able to keep. What I would like to do, what I intend to do and what I'll actually be able to achieve are three different things. If elected, I'm certainly not going to be the Chief Minister, so what I could achieve will depend largely upon who the new CM is and what their programme for government looks like.

In terms of improving our democratic system, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by Lord Lisvane's report as I fully expected it to be a cosy establishment 'everything is fine'. In fact he's produced a decent report in my opinion. There are some areas that I disagree with and would like to see further action. I don't think the Bishop should have a role in government and I'd like to see Legislative Council reduced in size. I'm also concerned that the proposed committee to recommended nominations for new LC members would become an establishment committee in itself, 'recommending the right people'. But, in general, I can accept the parts of the report that I disagree with, if it meant getting the important aspects through. Key among those would be (in my opinion) MLC's not able to be Ministers or Department Members and sitting MHK's not being eligible for nomination to MLC.

As for 'how long'? I think that there are times when our government spends forever navel gazing rather than actually making a difference. They appeared to spend more time discussing whether or not they should pay for parking than they did on important issues like a definition of 'fuel poverty' & how many pensioners are in it, or the increased need for food banks on the Isle of Man. So although Lord Lisvane suggested that his recommendations could be a 'pick & mix', I would rather accept it in entirety and get on with it, rather than spend forever arguing over pet interests and getting nowhere. If that means that I would keep my mouth shut regarding the Bishop remaining, in exchange for getting the rest of it through, then that's a pragmatic response that I would be happy with.

So as an example of the original point, what I would like is for the Bishop not to have a position in government but what I would do, is accept his position if it meant even more important issues got through in a timely manner.

The Bishop does NOT have any position in Government.

He has a position in the Parliament.

You would expect prospective candidates for the job would understand the difference between Government and Parliament.

I'll bet Fitton's not alone among prospective candidates in his ignorance on that matter Whimsy.

Well Leonard Singer reckons he hasn't been in government despite being in two government departments.

I've commented on that when another poster raised it in a different thread.

Four days to go to the election and we've had just one of the four candidates call at the door, not even a "sorry you were out when I called" from the rest. Obviously not too bothered about making an impression.

In which case you will no doubt be relaxed about not making an impression alongside their names on the ballot paper.

Two days left and still no other candidates around, mind you one this time is one more than called in either 2011 or for last years bi-election, obviously not an important area !!

The problem with Douglas South is that there's only 4 candidates and the three main candidates (Beecroft, Fitton and Malarkey) are all quite closely aligned in their views. I suppose you would expect this with them all having been Liberal Vannin candidates at one point or another. They all seem to be left of centre, focused mainly on health and social type issues.

There doesn't seem to be a lot coming from Douglas South in terms of ideas to the grow the economy or ways to deal with our financial problems.

I think it was telling that in the Manx Radio debate, the only times there was any sort of disagreement was about the issue of party politics and when David Fowler mentioned water meters. Other than that, lots of candidates all agreeing with each other.

The problem with Douglas South is that there's only 4 candidates and the three main candidates (Beecroft, Fitton and Malarkey) are all quite closely aligned in their views. I suppose you would expect this with them all having been Liberal Vannin candidates at one point or another. They all seem to be left of centre, focused mainly on health and social type issues.

There doesn't seem to be a lot coming from Douglas South in terms of ideas to the grow the economy or ways to deal with our financial problems.

I think it was telling that in the Manx Radio debate, the only times there was any sort of disagreement was about the issue of party politics and when David Fowler mentioned water meters. Other than that, lots of candidates all agreeing with each other.

They don't all want Lego Land either.

From the public meeting on Monday, it was clear that Fowler was using the "as Bill/Keith have already said" quite often. Even his first 2 minute address was a monotone read from a piece of paper.

It really is a three horse race in Douglas South.

It was a shame that Kate wasn't there as it would have been a lot easier to help make up my mind between her, Keith and Bill............

Archived