Labour and Tory Leadership Races

Chinahand

You may be right Declan, I'm an old boy ( still have my union card) and although folk are surprised by my political sympathies (I've been financially fortunate in life) I still have a respect for the old Labour principles and it would be pity for the Party to sell it's soul merely to get into power.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were some people on Radio 4 praising the decision to let Corbyn stand again saying 'that's democracy!'.

One young chap declaring "Thousands of people have just joined the Labour Party in the last few days to make sure their vote counts and get Corbyn back in."

LOL thumbsup.gif : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-membership-nec-momentum-blairite-angela-eagle-a7133556.html

So it would appear that contrary to what was promised "members" who joined during the last 6 months didn't join they merely gave a donation .

You couldn't make it up .....

For clarity I'm not a member of any political party etc , never have been as my job required me (as an EHO) to apply the legislation 'without fear or favour' and I could then not be accused of bias.flowers.gif

One young chap declaring "Thousands of people Tories have just joined the Labour Party in the last few days to make sure their vote counts and get Corbyn back in."

FTFY

One young chap declaring "Thousands of people Tories have just joined the Labour Party in the last few days to make sure their vote counts and get Corbyn back in."

FTFY

I thought they changed the rules yesterday so you can't do that now. I think they also decided that if your initials are JC you can't win whatever the result of the vote.

PK ..............Do you think people will vote for Eagles ?

As a "leader" I am of the opinion that the only reason that people would follow her would be idle curiosity perhaps .

Agree that Kinnock was not PM material , but he (and his family) seem to have done quite well financially , funny old world.

Milliband ? ....... well not a man I warmed to>

Frankly if Corbyn is rejected I would have trouble picking out a potential successor who would unite the party .

If Hilary Benn had any bottle he'd have resigned earlier and stood himself rather than seeing himself as the puppet master and loading the gun while purporting to be an honourable man , definitely a "snakey" untrustworthy man in my book .

I don't see Eagles as a credible candidate. Frankly I'm not sure what she thinks she is doing.

The point Declan made is very pertinent. I was disenfranchised by Nick Turncoat Cleggy who sold the party down the river for a few crumbs from Cameron's table. I don't like the Labour holistic approach to social welfare but I voted Labour simply to defeat UKIP. So would describe myself as just a smidge left of centre. However there is no way I would ever vote for Corbyn for PM.

If Corbyn stays as leader and May calls a snap election Labour will disappear up it's own backside....

I'm no fan of Clegg but I think in 2010 he did the only thing he could do. He formed the one viable coalition available based on the election result and in doing so facilitated stability at a difficult time.

He has been hoist on the university tuition fees petard and like an idiot has even apologised for not fulfilling his "promise". That was a big mistake. He should have pointed out that the promise was in the manifesto for a LibDem government, that he hadn't won the election and was therefore a very junior partner in a Tory led coalition and consequently he could only achieve so much. If anyone was to blame it was the electorate for not voting for him in sufficient numbers. The man is a numpty for, among other things, taking the flack for something over which he had no control.

I don't see Eagles as a credible candidate

I agree, but: Yes she could never win a general election. The same as Neil Kinnock. But like Neil Kinnock she could have begun the process of rescuing the centre left from the factional silly left.

Sadly - thanks to Miliband, the future of the sensible centre left in the UK is now in the hands of a few hundred thousand completely unrealistic contrarian hard left ideologues.

It's rather sad, with hindsight, that Clegg and the Lib Dems were so vilified for making pragmatic compromises.

Sadly - thanks to Miliband, the future of the sensible centre left in the UK is now in the hands of a few hundred thousand completely unrealistic contrarian hard left ideologues.

It's rather sad, with hindsight, that Clegg and the Lib Dems were so vilified for making pragmatic compromises.

I disagree in that for "pragmatic compromises" read "best of a bad job."

They could of wielded the "we can call an election that you might lose" stick but instead they juat rolled over because they were sort-of in power for probably the only time in their political lives.

The fact they betrayed their electorate seemed to have passed them by - until the last election that is!

Folks like me gave them enough warning by sending our cards back.

Short-sighted losers....

I agree, but: Yes she could never win a general election. The same as Neil Kinnock. But like Neil Kinnock she could have begun the process of rescuing the centre left from the factional silly left.

Lib Dems could have sat back and let the Tories run a minority govt.

It's not entirely Miliband's fault, his system would have worked if MPs like Sadiq Khan hadn't lent him their support to get him on the ballot. Very noble at the time. But it's resulted in a leader without enough core support in the commons.

Lib Dems could have sat back and let the Tories run a minority govt.

It's not entirely Miliband's fault, his system would have worked if MPs like Sadiq Khan hadn't lent him their support to get him on the ballot. Very noble at the time. But it's resulted in a leader without enough core support in the commons.

Errrr I think you have the wrong dead duck there.....

Lib Dems could have sat back and let the Tories run a minority govt

They could. But that would have been cowardly and negative. Why do nothing, why oppose rather than getting involved?

It was thanks to the coalition and the Lib Dems that the UK got gay marriage. That was a very positive step forward IMO. Historically that will be seen as a very important step forward (just like, say, universal suffrage - also a Lib/Con legacy)

I happen to also believe that low unemployment and a relatively robust economy is a legacy of the coalition govt. That would obviously be potentially more contentious.

I think that the Lib Dems should have been proud of much of what they achieved in coalition. Despite having to make compromises. Life is often about making compromises.

It's bold to make Bojo the new Foreign Secretary.

I find that a depressing appointment, nothing bold about it, there shouldn't be any reward for the bullshit tactics he's just employed to assist with a result in a vote for brexit, irrespective of one's desired result. It's a cowardly appointment to avoid critical newspaper columns.

Archived