turkish coup underway

hillshepherd

There were 4 military coups between 1960 and 1998. Each time the excuse offered by the military was to retain the secularism of Mustafa Kemal. Ataturk was hardly a democrat any way. Turkey was a one party state until 1945.

The difference now may be the growth of religious extremism, and the refugee crisis. The military may find control much more difficult this time around.

This marks the end of Turkeys EU membership application. Another out campaign bogeyman claim bites the dust.

Hardly a democrat, as you state but Ataturk believed that a secular government ws the way forward for Turkey.

Is there no bright side to Brexit for you Johnnie? In reality, no-one really knows where the out vote will lead. Not even you dear boy ...

Hardly a democrat, as you state but Ataturk believed that a secular government ws the way forward for Turkey.

Is there no bright side to Brexit for you Johnnie? In reality, no-one really knows where the out vote will lead. Not even you dear boy ...

I didn't express a view one way or the other. I stated a fact. Brexiteers warned of an influx of millions of Turks in a few years. The coup means turkey won't be progressing its application.

I don't know how well a coup can work in an era of digital communications.

Turkey is a different place than in the 1980s, Erogan has a lot of support, especially in Anatolia, while the cities are both Democratic and secular. It will be interesting to see which way those two forces pull. One way will be against the coup one way will be for it.

I wonder what has precipitated it now.

I hope it is peaceful. The last thing we need is another civil war in the Middle East!

I didn't express a view one way or the other. I stated a fact. Brexiteers warned of an influx of millions of Turks in a few years. The coup means turkey won't be progressing its application.

Apologies. It was the, "another out campaign bogeyman claim bites the dust" wot threw me.

Looks like the coup has failed. If they had wanted to divide the country and bring political uncertainty all they had to do was have a referendum. ;-)

A referendum does not divide a country. It simply displays divisions that are already there. Better to have them out in the open than festering ignored in the shadows.

Looks like the coup has failed. If they had wanted to divide the country and bring political uncertainty all they had to do was have a referendum. ;-)

They kind of have to take notice of a coup, unlike a referendum as we have just witnessed here, perhaps they thought that Eurdogan was not the referendum type.

Archived