Trident and stuff

TheTeapot

It shows the bankruptcy of rmanx' position when he decides that "our deterrent doesn't work" on the basis of one aborted test after 150 successful ones. It's just seeing what you want to see.

ETA: It's like saying a Soyuz rocket malfunctioned on launch, therefore Soyuz rockets don't work. Stupid.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It shows the bankruptcy of rmanx' position when he decides that "our deterrent doesn't work" on the basis of one aborted test after 150 successful ones. It's just seeing what you want to see.

So if we had to deploy it that one time and it didn't work, what would you position be?

Other than curled in a tiny ball in a puddle of your piss watch the last few moments of your life disappear in a flash?

Its only a deterrent until someone calls our bluff. Then its not a deterrent.

Finally! So why do you keep saying it doesn't work as a deterrent and making reference to things that happen after it has stopped being a deterrent?

Bit like complaining that a condom won't take away an existing pregnancy.

So if we had to deploy it that one time and it didn't work, what would you position be?

Then it would already not be a deterrent and it wouldn't matter if it works or not. The entire point is preventing it getting to that stage to start with.

Don't know if anyone else saw or posted this, but on sky news this morning, prior to six am, on the ticker there was an item stating that the CIA had advised that Obama had told Cameron to keep the trident issue quiet as it potentially affected many other missiles. The message disappeared at six am, and I have not seen any other similar statements.

Don't know if anyone else saw or posted this, but on sky news this morning, prior to six am, on the ticker there was an item stating that the CIA had advised that Obama had told Cameron to keep the trident issue quiet as it potentially affected many other missiles. The message disappeared at six am, and I have not seen any other similar statements.

http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/15040782.Theresa_May_states__absolute_faith__in_Trident_after_missile_malfunction_claims/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-4145088/PM-absolute-faith-Trident-despite-reported-test-malfunction.html

The argument that it has prevented world war 3 is a load of bollocks anyway, people dont quite believe in dulce est decorum est quite like they used to. It only works if the people that are paying for it believe that it's the russians that are the aggressive ones

Humans are aggressive unless they are afraid of coming off worse. That is the essence of deterrence. It has prevented major war in Europe since 1945. It is worth paying for.

I can see that its easy to kid yourself (ie starting from a 'nice' place that you really want to believe in) there is no deterrent value if you assume that Russia is the only possible enemy it could be used against and Putin is an all round nice guy.

This system is to be available for many years to come and who knows who might become a nuclear threat to us. Some very unlikely protagonists might have nuclear power one day and whilst the thicko ground troops might believe they are going to heaven for the cause, their rulers don't.

I have a magic rock that protects from leopard attack.

Until a leopard attacks me, I'll have to assume its my magic rock protecting me.

You ought to go looking for a magic stick that stops you being such a mong.

Logic agrees with me. Morons disagree with Logic.

I have a magic rock that protects from leopard attack.

Until a leopard attacks me, I'll have to assume its my magic rock protecting me.

You ought to go looking for a magic stick that stops you being such a mong.

Logic agrees with me. Morons disagree with Logic.

If you think your post was in any way a fit analogy, or worse still; logical, then I really do despair.

Archived