Sports Direct IOM

ans

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Agreed...but people are just looking at the price tag and seeing cheap? But the way Govt and Co. is ripping chunks out of disposable income that's the way it's going.

Allinson presents a 6% MUA hike to Comin. They're reported as "shocked". But it goes through Tynwald anyway.

3 months later, Harmer puts a similar DOI hike through and there's barely a murmur, only Callister and Hooper voice any opposition.

Naff all said about MG's last rise either, just OFT "justification" about how we're supposedly better off than Jersey from that stuffed shirt Perkins.

I honestly believe that they don't realise or care or know what the effects are on the lower economic levels down the line. Except for the "unwelcome" images of the likes of Dealz that don't tally with what DED would like to present. Because it's now probably one of the busier outlets in Strand St.

The 'pound' type stores are the busiest in the high streets in most places across the UK.  As are coffee shops. It's a reflection of  a changing high street.  Nothing wrong with them.   Some decent deals some not so decent.  

13 hours ago, Neil Down said:

When it opened, morbid curiosity got the better of me and I hiked down for a look. It was that bad I put a bag on my head so that nobody would recognise me. Unfortunately the bag fell apart at the top of the stairs :rolleyes:

You've obviously spent a lot of time analyzing the Dealz consumer proposition in your spare time.They sell cheap crap for £1.20 so what else do you expect? Have you really analyzed the goods in depth and ascertained that Dealz cans of food hold slightly less than they do elsewhere? That's sad. Non Believer is pretty much right in this I'd say. There is not much money around. It's crappy businesses like this that are the future as skint people only have the option of buying this sort of crap. It's only the people who really haven't got a pot to piss in that go round weighting up the weight of tins by hand in the aisles and seeing if they can save 5p by walking to Shoprite.

It doesn't really tally with our tax cap and centre for HNW for wealth though does it having half of the main part of Strand St taken up by a shop that sells total crap for £1.20 a go? That's clearly part of our key consumer demographic though. 

Most of the stuff in Dealz is stuff you don't really need it's part of the modern thing of buying things for the sake of buying things. It's not wealth related, rich and poor alike buy rubbish they don't need.

Dealz isnt really a lot different to any retail space.  There will be some bargains definitely worth buying on your way past and there will be the items that are not great value where they make their margin up.

I suspect the customers of Dealz are not purely those who are skint.  I use them and I'm not.  I'd simply rather pick up a few things there that I know somewhere else will.charge me twice as much to buy.

These types of stores are in most towns and cities (sometimes in multiple numbers) and it's not a poor reflection on the island economy. 

They largely occupy old Woolworth units selling many similar things to them at a third of the price.  As a landlord along with coffee shops they are one of the best covenants on the high street these days.

2 hours ago, llap said:

Is Sports Direct open yet? I don't venture that far up the street now that HMV has gone.

No I walked past today. There still seems to be a heck of a lot of work to be done. I'm not sure why it seems to be taking as long as it is. Hopefully it will look good when finished given how long it seems to have taken. 

45 minutes ago, MediaStar said:

No I walked past today. There still seems to be a heck of a lot of work to be done. I'm not sure why it seems to be taking as long as it is. Hopefully it will look good when finished given how long it seems to have taken. 

I have never seen a good looking sports direct. Most of the work will be in making the shop a disorientating mess.

I saw an advertisement somewhere for Sports Direct here. The amount of pay seemed comparatively reasonable for similar shop assistant roles. I know they've been criticised in the UK though so I wonder if the hourly rate doesn't necessarily point to the full picture? I guess only time will tell but I will be keeping a close eye on them. I'd like to know why some other UK or Irish retail chains here offer such ridiculously low wages, given that their corporations rake in such much profit? Personally, if I was in charge I'd make corporations illegal altogether, but I reckon in the meantime there should be laws governing the amount of profit allowed commensurate with the amount of pay given to those employees on the lowest incomes (e.g. you can't make over X amount of profit without raising hourly salaries to Y amount). Would anyone in their right mind seriously disagree with that proposal? Nobody can appeal to the tired old redundant "free market" nonsense, as the very existence of corporations is antithetical to a free and open market.

32 minutes ago, llap said:

Personally, if I was in charge I'd make corporations illegal altogether, but I reckon in the meantime there should be laws governing the amount of profit allowed commensurate with the amount of pay given to those employees on the lowest incomes (e.g. you can't make over X amount of profit without raising hourly salaries to Y amount). Would anyone in their right mind seriously disagree with that proposal? Nobody can appeal to the tired old redundant "free market" nonsense, as the very existence of corporations is antithetical to a free and open market.

That's the beginnings of a good idea llap. Unfortunately many of these corporations now almost rule the world and have huge influence in international affairs and markets. 

The transition of power from nations to transnational corporations is something I don't see any solution to, as they play nation off against nation. This has been a deliberate tool by the ruling elites to bypass and undermine national democracy and sovereignty. The only way to really take it on is most of the major nations of the world teamed up to put a stop to it, but they're too busy competing with each other for the crumbs from these corporations, or the nations' governments are run by people who are in these corporations' pockets or even boards of directors, etc. The effect this has had on labour for the past 30 years is really alarming and I only see things getting worse before they'll get better.

Archived