Sports Direct IOM

ans

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's nice of you and Woolley to pop back up after a few weeks to offer sage words.

As I said I'm happy to shake Woolleys hand.

I concur with that. And if anything I posted drove YOU off the forums I sincerely regret that. I don't apologise for disagreeing with you about things because that would be ludicrous, but I would never want to stifle anybody's right to a hearing.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, quilp said:

Obvious? What's obvious to me is you, and your various guises.

This forum is dying of boredom. 

Oh please. You need to come up with better come backs than accusations of sock puppetry (which I understood is a banned activity) to counter your arguments. That seems to be the tried and tested route to undermine anyone who disagrees with the consensus on here. Claim they're a banned poster and try to get them banned to silence them. I post on my own account and always have done. I only started posting again as I thought things had changed. 

Anyway I have said I don't have an issue with Woolley and that's it. See my post above. You won't read it as an apology but you will read it as agreeing to disagree. 

21 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's nice of you and Woolley to pop back up after a few weeks to offer sage words.

As I said I'm happy to shake Woolleys hand. I just wanted to make what i thought were a few valid points in the process

Quilp; it's so obvious what's been going on here to be honest validated by the way that everyone's popping back up in this thread. 

Which weirdly you are the forefront off. It's painful.

10 minutes ago, notwell said:

Which weirdly you are the forefront off. It's painful.

Who asked you? Have you just dropped by to try to enflame an argument that was just dying down? How am I at the forefront please given I've made at best 30 posts in the last month and that I have agreed to disagree with Woolley? 

14 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Oh please. You need to come up with better than a veiled accusations of sock puppetry (which I understand is a banned activity under the new rules which aren't being policed) to counter your arguments. That seems to be the tried and tested route to undermine anyone who disagrees with the consensus on here. I post on my own account and always have done. I only started posting again as I thought things had changed. Clearly not. 

The concensus on here seems to be that you and quite a few other user names round on anyone who disagrees with your anti government anti isle of man stance on general.  If you comment in any kind of positive you're a paid government stooge. 

Your comments on this thread alone about the Strand, Mike Ashleys business acumen and your opening salve about 600 quid pairs of jeans is the perfect example.

18 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Who asked you? Have you just dropped by to try to enflame an argument that was just dying down? How am I at the forefront please given I've made at best 30 posts in the last month and that I have agreed to disagree with Woolley? 

Lol.  I'm not falling for it Sultan.   I can see the plan.

4 minutes ago, notwell said:

The concensus on here seems to be that you and quite a few other user names round on anyone who disagrees with your anti government anti isle of man stance on general.  If you comment in any kind of positive you're a paid government stooge. 

Your comments on this thread alone about the Strand, Mike Ashleys business acumen and your opening salve about 600 quid pairs of jeans is the perfect example.

Oh my God you really need to do a reality check. I am one poster. I have no real agenda and to be honest I haven't made enough posts of late to have an agenda. Even John Wright questioned the Strand finances and took you to task on them and I agreed with him. Does he have an agenda as well? This place seems to have been quite stable for a few weeks but it's gone a bit insane again. What issue of yours is it that some people question some things that go on within the IOM? 

7 minutes ago, notwell said:

What issue is it of yours if people don't think most of what government do is shit and the island economy is shit/everyone has left/no one has any money?

You do understand what personal opinions are don't you? I don't think I have said anything of the sort either to be honest. I questioned Sportsdirect's strategy regarding the IOM quite legitimately as I don't get it. Neither to I get the reasons you put forward (without presenting any facts) about the failure of the Strand. John Wright said more or less the same thing so why single me out? Sadly opinions are personal and mine differs to yours. I think you'll find that's pretty much life to be honest. My only problem with Woolley was the apparent wall / weight of the opinions and the volume of posts on the same subject day after day - not the basic thrust or content of his personal opinions.

It's only right that people question what is going on in government and the island in general. What you begin to learn is that sometimes the CS and our politicians get things right and others they get things badly wrong, despite having the facts and background access. This isn't a recent thing, bad advice seems to have been given and taken over quite a few decades. 

John Wright was happy to conveniently ignore that the Strand was debt laden when it originally went bust. He just said Sports Direct bought it from someone who had no debt on it.   The context of that was that the original owners rents and especially service charges were ramped up to pay the debt.  That led to businesses struggling  (aside of  few) and a downward spiral of voids etc.  The comment was also made that footfall was shit and will be shit in the area (which it wasn't previously ) and that people couldn't understand Sports Direct coming here.  

You questioned their strategy but when I suggested why they should be here you didn't want to know.  You've got the mentality that no business should want to come here and that no one can afford to live here.  Neother are true.  Thankfully plenty of businesses are not thinking like you are.  Sports Direct have opened stores all over the country at a time when apparently the high street is dead.  They know what they are doing.

We just disagree. There's no need to use that many words to explain the basis for a disagreement. It's only your view and I even linked to the IOM earnings survey to show the Median; and John mentioned the previous footfall survey that is also a matter of fact / record. You do seem to have an issue with people who present facts to counter your 'opinions'. 

Archived