Sports Direct IOM

ans

What the earning survey shows is that people here earn decent money in a very decent portion of the population.  The way you talk I'm surprised there are any businesses left on the island.

The footfall survey is a matter of fact. As of now. In the current state. Previously footfall was very decent.

I suppose Tesco wanted a store there because they looked at the survey and thought "ooh great place for a store. No footfall"?

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, notwell said:

The same footfall wanting ale walks round the corner twenty more yards right now.

Is that another Notwell fact? I think I have presented actual facts throughout this thread. I would like someone with real data to confirm a few things for me as I can't really see the business case. 

10 hours ago, NoTail said:

It is a fact that Shoprite sells ale 20 yards (or so) around the corner.

But Tesco's would have sold booze from that site cheaper than Shoprite. It should be a competitive market there's a few pubs all down Castle St that compete with each other. The fact remains than off licenses (non supermarket's) tend to create their own unique footfall. I would assume that's why Tesco's were turned down. They didn't want the Douglas drunks hanging round that end of town. 

They were rightly turned down because alcohol needs are already very well serviced within twenty yards.    Same carry on in Castletown.   They should have just set up and established and relooked at a later point. Pure greed.  Their ale isn't cheap either in those type of stores.

As for Sports.Direct they'll do well. High volume business model and some very handy margins in their goods.  Huge brand too.  Footfall will be back to old levels in no time.

9 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Are you aware of any facts to back that unvalidated prognosis up? 

Well it's a fact that had Tesco not applied for alcohol licences they would not be declined and have two stores open now. 

It's also a fact Sports Direct are what I said above.

If I'm honest you don't seem to have any commercial experience or understanding of the high street and how business works.   People like you tend to work in compliance.

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

There is far too much use of the stupid word 'footfall' in this thread. 

The thread is much funnier, and indeed valuable, if you simply modify it to "football"...or even "fanny".

Archived