Sports Direct IOM

ans

9 hours ago, notwell said:

Well it's a fact that had Tesco not applied for alcohol licences they would not be declined and have two stores open now. 

It's also a fact Sports Direct are what I said above.

If I'm honest you don't seem to have any commercial experience or understanding of the high street and how business works.   People like you tend to work in compliance.

As I said off licenses create their own footfall and that's probably why Tesco's wanted that licence there as people would have been drawn to a Tesco's in central Douglas with a licence. The fact that they didn't open when they didn't get a licence says everything to me. They probably didn't see a business case when they didn't get a license which suggests the survey John Wright mentioned was pretty much accurate and they expected people buying alcohol to push the footfall figures up and then spend money elsewhere in the supermarket because the existing numbers are low. 

PS what is compliance? Is that a finance thing? Do people who know what compliance is have any day to day awareness of the retail trade at all? 

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Not rude apart from the bit calling him a big girl... :rolleyes:

That isn't rude at all based on a lot of the offensive language that gets posted on here. I really can't see what would provoke such a long winded attack when I posted at best a few lines to question Woolley on his apparent about turn. Just reading the last few pages of yesterday's epic blitz from the Forums usual suspects. The Sultan needs to learn that you can't take on some of the Forums spiritual leaders without getting it in the neck - although I do appreciate the support. 

1 hour ago, hboy said:

That isn't rude at all based on a lot of the offensive language that gets posted on here. I really can't see what would provoke such a long winded attack when I posted at best a few lines to question Woolley on his apparent about turn. Just reading the last few pages of yesterday's epic blitz from the Forums usual suspects. The Sultan needs to learn that you can't take on some of the Forums spiritual leaders without getting it in the neck - although I do appreciate the support. 

True enough. There have been some right humdinger insults on here. :)

On 10/07/2017 at 2:25 AM, thesultanofsheight said:

As I said off licenses create their own footfall and that's probably why Tesco's wanted that licence there as people would have been drawn to a Tesco's in central Douglas with a licence. The fact that they didn't open when they didn't get a licence says everything to me. They probably didn't see a business case when they didn't get a license which suggests the survey John Wright mentioned was pretty much accurate and they expected people buying alcohol to push the footfall figures up and then spend money elsewhere in the supermarket because the existing numbers are low. 

PS what is compliance? Is that a finance thing? Do people who know what compliance is have any day to day awareness of the retail trade at all? 

This thread isn't all about you - although a casual observer could come to that misapprehension.

• 2 weeks later...

As Sports Direct just post a 58% fall in profits (Sky News), blamed on Brexit fall in pound. Lets hope our chavs can dig deep and get things back on a level, er, footing. :huh:

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

As Sports Direct just post a 58% fall in profits (Sky News), blamed on Brexit fall in pound. Lets hope our chavs can dig deep and get things back on a level, er, footing. :huh:

Yes profits have competely tanked. Another casualty of Brexit. Hopefully some of the idiots who voted for it will now be paying a lot more for their shoddy Asian made trainers and trackies. 

17 hours ago, hboy said:

Yes profits have competely tanked. Another casualty of Brexit. Hopefully some of the idiots who voted for it will now be paying a lot more for their shoddy Asian made trainers and trackies. 

However the UK's exports have hit a three year high, so industries like manufacturing (who probably employ lots of people who shop at Sports Direct) which were declining in recent years have received a welcome boost with their goods being priced more competitively overseas with the weaker pound. The value of a currency isn't like a share price, with higher equalling better. For every situation their is a winner and a loser, depending on which way you choose to look at it.

32 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

However the UK's exports have hit a three year high, so industries like manufacturing (who probably employ lots of people who shop at Sports Direct) which were declining in recent years have received a welcome boost with their goods being priced more competitively overseas with the weaker pound. The value of a currency isn't like a share price, with higher equalling better. For every situation their is a winner and a loser, depending on which way you choose to look at it.

Yes but the only people "winning" in your post are the owners of said industries, not the poor bastards on zero hour contracts or those earning low end wages.

1 hour ago, RIchard Britten said:

Yes but the only people "winning" in your post are the owners of said industries, not the poor bastards on zero hour contracts or those earning low end wages.

I'm sure there are plenty of low end wages in manufacturing and zero hour contracts are quite popular within the hospitality and tourism industry, which have seen a boom since Brexit with increased inward tourists taking advantage of the weak pound and also a lot more people deciding to holiday in the UK, again due to the pound's decline. As I said, two sides to every argument.

4 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Currency will be volatile bacause of uncertainty. Markets don't like uncertainty and that is why UK should cut short the "negotiations" and just get out. Long term, the problem will be to try to keep sterling from soaring too high.

4 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

Correct, but a different issue entirely - globalisation.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Markets don't like uncertainty and that is why UK should cut short the "negotiations" and just get out.

The year-zero approach would increase uncertainty since there would be nothing in place - no systems or documentation, no agreements around which to build those systems. Import / export for example, would grind to a halt. You can imagine the queue of lorries on the M20 if the UK were to take the UDI route. And that's only one example. It would be a national emergency.

Whatever form Brexit ultimately takes, there is going to need to be a long transitional period after the agreements are gradually reached in order for the many new systems which will be required to be designed, tested, implemented etc. This will be a lengthy and hugely expensive process. Pragmatically and sensibly it can only ever be a gradual and carefully planned thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived