Sports Direct IOM

ans

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Been confirmed that jd are taking that new building in strand street

At least it may cut out a lot of internet shopping and shopping across, keeping more money on the island. For too long the absolute dearth of shopping options here has forced people onto the internet but maybe this will change slightly. If a few smaller outlets go out of business then so be it, public demand will always create it's own market. 

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, 2112 said:

JD Sports are the owners of Millets which are fitting out their new larger premises at Tower House. I don't know who is going to take the new glass fronted building next to Top Shop. I would doubt another sportswear shop would open. Mind you the owner of Sports Direct has large shareholdings in other various well known high street retailers. 

Sports Direct own 26% of JD Sports?

8 minutes ago, notwell said:

That's not correct to my knowledge.  I think perhaps 6%.

fair enough - I got my info from the internet so I may well be incorrect

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

At least it may cut out a lot of internet shopping and shopping across, keeping more money on the island. For too long the absolute dearth of shopping options here has forced people onto the internet but maybe this will change slightly. If a few smaller outlets go out of business then so be it, public demand will always create it's own market. 

It's possible that lots of island residents buy from the internet, hence now it's possibly viable to set up a store. Lots of people, including myself, buy online from Cotton Traders. Either it gets delivered here, at home or in store or at a UK address. I'm sure lots of island residents buy online from Sports Direct, and also buy at SD stores in Liverpool, Lancaster and Manchester etc, and in turn SD may have customer information and details, such as addresses etc.

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

It's possible that lots of island residents buy from the internet, hence now it's possibly viable to set up a store. Lots of people, including myself, buy online from Cotton Traders. Either it gets delivered here, at home or in store or at a UK address. I'm sure lots of island residents buy online from Sports Direct, and also buy at SD stores in Liverpool, Lancaster and Manchester etc, and in turn SD may have customer information and details, such as addresses etc.

I think it's all about turning purchasing into more of a shopping experience again, which living on an island can only be good for the economy. Won't keep the think afloat mind but it'll keep a few lower paid workers in a job for a few more years. 

44 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I think it's all about turning purchasing into more of a shopping experience again, which living on an island can only be good for the economy. Won't keep the think afloat mind but it'll keep a few lower paid workers in a job for a few more years. 

what "lower paid" workers would these be then?

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Granted I haven't worked in JD Sports but I'm assuming they're not paid much more than minimum wage. 

A nephew of mine did a summer season in two of their stores and earned on average £7.45 an hour. Ever so slightly better than min wage over here. Didn't they get a hammering recently on their warehouse / zero hours contracts?

That's the nature of shop work (certainly multi nationals).  Especially when all they really employ is stockers and till people.  They are not really looking for stellar sales people.  It's a job pretty much anyone can do.  Which is why the pay isn't great.

What do you mean "giving" them?

They are coming here because they think they can make money (which most of them do very well in the IOM).   Someone owns the property in Strand Street and has built it.  JD sports will take a lease (like Top Shop did next door) and fit it out.  Not sure there is anything overly complicated about it.   They, and other multinationals, are doing it all over the UK.

Archived