Sports Direct IOM

ans

5 hours ago, Lxxx said:

I think it's all about turning purchasing into more of a shopping experience again, which living on an island can only be good for the economy. Won't keep the think afloat mind but it'll keep a few lower paid workers in a job for a few more years. 

Have you seen the shopping experience though? I took my grandson into Flannels the other day and even for a label obsessed teenager he was gobsmacked at the prices. Picked up a coat - £850. Picked up a pair of jeans - £350. A paid of shoes - £500. Do they think the branch is in Regent Street in one of the wealthiest cities in the world rather than Strand Street in the IOM? We both left the shop laughing as we're many other customers. 

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MediaStar said:

Have you seen the shopping experience though? I took my grandson into Flannels the other day and even for a label obsessed teenager he was gobsmacked at the prices. Picked up a coat - £850. Picked up a pair of jeans - £350. A paid of shoes - £500. Do they think the branch is in Regent Street in one of the wealthiest cities in the world rather than Strand Street in the IOM? We both left the shop laughing as we're many other customers. 

They're not aiming for people like you though I guess.

They're not though are they?

Their target market is people who want top designer labels that know the price of them. And will happily pay. 17 year old's don't have that sort of disposable income.

For example I was in London the other week and walked past Louis Vitton.  You don't shop I'm there is you want a fifty quid handbag or whatever for the wife.

Your 17 year old grand son might be label concious but he isn't pitching at those labels.  He'll be fishing around esquires and the whistles where  a t shirt is 30 quid and a pair of jeans up to a ton maybe.

Eta - they are opening USC too which will be more your grandsons bag.

Sadly you and notwell must live in an alternative finance sector centric wealthy enclave of the IOM that is very far away from where I live and where my grandson lives. The prices in there are simply not affordable to most people and he's not stupid enough to buy items like that on credit. The people who buy there must either be mugs or doing very well on incomes that are not average incomes for the rest of the Isle of Man. I saw a few people in there openly stifling laughs when they read the price tags. I really can't see what they think most people in the IOM can afford. 

33 minutes ago, MediaStar said:

It's crackers. This ain't London, Notwell. Far from it. Vast majority of people can't afford it. The HNWI here are as tight as the proverbial. The rest of us look at the price and see they are taking the mick. Who is their clientele?

I'm just not sure you understand their business model. 

They'll do OK here. They do OK is places with far less money around.

It's not my sort of shop price wise. I'll have a nose if I get time but I'm not a huge clothes buyer and I'm happy enough shopping in the sort of ranges stocked by Whistles,  Esquire's and what USC will probably bring.

Just because you or I or your grandson won't shop there doesn't mean others won't.    And to be fair there are plenty of wealthy "mugs" where an 850 quid jacket to them is proportionately far cheaper than the 100 to 150 I would spend would be to me.

Just now, Bobbie Bobster said:

Not Liberal Vanninn but Louis Vuitton (spelling specially corrected for TSE :D)

Oh right. I didnt realize they did clothes are well as luggage and accessories etc. Yes I'm sure that must have been an eye opening experience. 

Archived