Sports Direct IOM

ans

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's crackers. This ain't London, Notwell. Far from it. Vast majority of people can't afford it. The HNWI here are as tight as the proverbial. The rest of us look at the price and see they are taking the mick. Who is their clientele?

You might to have a word with Ashley Woolley and give him your steer because they are expanding across the country.

They'll do what most shops do.  They'll sell the bulk of their stuff in 'sales' where people will be happy to pick up top names at what they perceive to be decent prices.  

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, notwell said:

You might to have a word with Ashley Woolley and give him your steer because they are expanding across the country.

They'll do what most shops do.  They'll sell the bulk of their stuff in 'sales' where people will be happy to pick up top names at what they perceive to be decent prices.  

I know. But with our population? I remain to be convinced but, as with all things, we shall see.

I find it really hard to believe that SD would make the sort of investment they have (and it will be a decent one) without researching their market .  Flannels could work. It could not.  But I don't think the best judge of people's fashion spending habits people in their 60s  (and I don't mean that disrespectfully to anyone)

Fair comment. I am not their demographic but I am around younger people and they don't get it either. As I said. We shall see.

I suppose if it doesn't work the space could be easily incorporated into SD or relet, stock transferred elsewhere, so you could see it as a punt without a huge downside.

17 minutes ago, notwell said:

That's a bit like asking who would pay 70k for a car.  The answer, generally,  is people that can afford to.

Didnt you admit to driving a crappy car? On that basis how do you justify the really small number of people prepared to spend that sort of cash on a pair of jeans? That's probably three years servicing. 

I must agree with Notwell, for a change! SD have done their research and wouldn't have spent money on the Strand Centre if they didn't have faith. Yes, the prices are expensive. However, without trying to be sexist, some women like designer shoes and handbags. Some women are prepared to spend a lot of money buying a designer handbag to cheer themselves up. It's a case of whatever floats your boat. Personally I like Slaters where I can get good quality clothing, some expensive designer gear, without it costing over the odds. The best thing is .......... free alterations. If you tell them your catching a ferry/plane back to the island, they always make sure your alterations are prioritised. 

If JD Sports open up as intermated, then the shoppers of the island could well be spoiled for choice. 

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Why on earth would anyone ever consider paying £350 for a pair of jeans? 

& then other people said stuff about cars 

I heard about a pair of jeans that cost £2000 recently, people have too much money and we like stuff. I don't think £350 is outrageous for jeans, I would not spend that kind of money on jeans but I'm OK with it. 

Cars are nothing like clothes, I wear clothes because it's cold and I'd frighten people if I was naked, no other reason. But cars, hmmm, naaaace I could easily spend loads on a car (not that my current vehicle reflects this) & one day I might just do it :)

43 minutes ago, thebees said:

I heard about a pair of jeans that cost £2000 recently, people have too much money and we like stuff. I don't think £350 is outrageous for jeans, I would not spend that kind of money on jeans but I'm OK with it. 

Cars are nothing like clothes, I wear clothes because it's cold and I'd frighten people if I was naked, no other reason. But cars, hmmm, naaaace I could easily spend loads on a car (not that my current vehicle reflects this) & one day I might just do it :)

£12 for reasonable jeans from ASDA, last a year or so.

Nicest / best car I've had was a 1998 MX-5 (bought new).

1 hour ago, MediaStar said:

Didnt you admit to driving a crappy car? On that basis how do you justify the really small number of people prepared to spend that sort of cash on a pair of jeans? That's probably three years servicing. 

I don't drive a crappy car.  The wife has a dacia and it's the best one in the range. It's actually a decent car. I could have spent twice the amount for same spec on a Nissan or something but chose not to.  And my car is decent enough, was near brand new and works for me at the moment especially with a couple of young kids and mess they make.

The point being whether I drive a car  for 10 k or 50k doesn't alter my opinion on people who buy expensive clothes.  It's up to them.  I probably could buy something in flannels but it's not really something I'd justify.  But I guess if I had a significant amount of money more I might not care so much. 

I expect there is something in life you might spend a lot of money on (relatively speaking) that someone else might think is a waste of money. 

13 hours ago, woolley said:

Combination of label slavery and being an idiot.

Isn't it about people able to discretionary spend as well? I can't see many people on the sort of incomes here where items of that price come into the category of discretionary spend. The average income is about £25,000 a year isn't it? There's not that many people who have the discretion to buy an £850 coat in that category. I really can't see how they're going to keep going for any length or time. People were openly laughing at the prices when we were in there and it looks like it's gone a lot quieter after the initial interest in something new has worn off. 

Archived