Sports Direct IOM

ans

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

What you say is probably in some respects correct. There is no right or wrong answer. Either people pay the prices or don't pay the prices. Either people buy from Flannels or whether people buy from Flannels when they have stock on the reduced or in the 'bargain basement bin' remains to be seen. I would argue its about choice, and all said and done, 'the customer is king, and is always right!'

It doesn't matter to SD one way or another, as the Strand Centre in all due respects, has been bought and paid for, and SD own the building and one of their companies/businesses are there. They haven't got the overheads of Rent and Service Charges to pay, unlike other businesses based there previously such as Mothercase, HMV and Millets.

If Flannels isn't successful, im sure another one of Mike Ashleys businesses or companies which SD group have a stakeholding in, could take over the unit.

Whilst the stock in Flannels is expensive, I have found that if you can see the clothing/watch/shoes etc on the shelves and either try it on or handle it, you don't have to buy it - you are perfectly at liberty to go away and look on the internet, you may get it cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.

I reckon this is it. Try a high margin business first and if it works happy days. If it doesn't, no big deal. There will be a Plan B, C, D etc. It will have to wash its face on the rent and charges though because it will have to fight its corner within the group. If it doesn't he may as well rent it out to someone who will.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, woolley said:

I must be lucky. Mine prefers to put the boots on and go for a walk in the hills. Can't abide shopping and only does it when she can't avoid it.

I'd be worried how good a liar she seems to be.

EDIT: Just seen someone else has beaten me to that one

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

It doesn't matter to SD one way or another, as the Strand Centre in all due respects, has been bought and paid for, and SD own the building and one of their companies/businesses are there. They haven't got the overheads of Rent and Service Charges to pay, unlike other businesses based there previously such as Mothercase, HMV and Millets. If you think about it, how many other shopping centres do Sports Direct/Mike Ashley own? I would say, very few.

If Flannels isn't successful, im sure another one of Mike Ashleys businesses or companies which SD group have a stakeholding in, could take over the unit.

I'm sure it's more about window dressing it all as a property investment. They'll hopefully push the rental prices up and improve the number of shoppers using the Mall which they can then try to use to get other tenants in if they aren't sussessful. They certainly won't be successful pushing Flannels clothing to Manx shoppers as very few can afford it and those who can will find better value on the internet or on their wives shopping trips to London, Liverpool or Manchester. There isn't enough surplus income being earned in the IOM to support that sort of spend in any great numbers. 

11 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

I'm sure it's more about window dressing it all as a property investment. They'll hopefully push the rental prices up and improve the number of shoppers using the Mall which they can then try to use to get other tenants in if they aren't sussessful. They certainly won't be successful pushing Flannels clothing to Manx shoppers as very few can afford it and those who can will find better value on the internet or on their wives shopping trips to London, Liverpool or Manchester. There isn't enough surplus income being earned in the IOM to support that sort of spend in any great numbers. 

Correct, there was some  survey a while back that showed something like 50% of the population had 0 disposable income and a further 25% were spending more than they earned.

3 hours ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

You should get on the phone to Mike Ashley:rolleyes:

I doubt the people who end up being Flannels bigger customers will be the type who walk in there on a Tuesday morning and pick a new coat.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a small number of very big spenders,via a personal shopper with the store sourcing particular goods for the big spenders which will probably never even hit the shop floor.

There are huge amounts of money spent on Luxury goods and personal service over here that loads of people don't even know happens.  It's a different world to the one 99% of the population live in but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

supercars coming direct from Italy, interior design teams from Harrods travelling here to kit out houses where the wallpaper and custom made carpet can mean one room costs more to furnish than most people spend on a house etc.

19 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I doubt the people who end up being Flannels bigger customers will be the type who walk in there on a Tuesday morning and pick a new coat.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a small number of very big spenders,via a personal shopper with the store sourcing particular goods for the big spenders which will probably never even hit the shop floor 

Personal shoppers?

What f**king planet do you live on?

Does anyone on these forums actually live in the real IOM any more? Who the hell in the IOM employs a personal shopper just to buy them chavvy crap from Flannels? Even if anyone did have a personal shopper (which i doubt) they'd by buying top level designer stuff in the UK not the sort of overpriced shite they sell in there. 

anyone else puzzled by MR news item :

Outlet on three floors at Strand Centre

UK retailer Sports Direct quietly opened its Isle of Man branch yesterday afternoon.

has it changed from the 'upstairs and downstairs' layout we all knew ?  - where did they magic-up the third floor ?

13 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

you went for the dear ones then :lol:

£12 - £15 for reasonable jeans in Marksies too, at the minute...but they've got dearer ones too.

4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Personal shoppers?

What f**king planet do you live on?

Does anyone on these forums actually live in the real IOM any more? Who the hell in the IOM employs a personal shopper just to buy them chavvy crap from Flannels? Even if anyone did have a personal shopper (which i doubt) they'd by buying top level designer stuff in the UK not the sort of overpriced shite they sell in there. 

Never said it was everyone, like I said a very small number of people.

There are plenty live here with people who do everything for them, housekeepers, nannys, gardeners, estate managers, live in dog carers etc.

Just because you don't see something, and the majority of people don't do it doesn't mean it isn't going on at all.

Archived