Sports Direct IOM

ans

26 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree it's a great business. I just wondered how many people sent their personal shoppers in for them so they could spend an extra hour on here getting wound up when the less wealthy dare to express their views on something that affects them. After all I'm sure a lot on here are too important and busy being "substantial" taxpayers to have the available time to go in themselves I'd reckon. 

What makes you think people posting here are in the fortunate position you describe?

i mentioned personal shoppers not because I have one but because I am bright enough to see that while I struggle with long hours, mortgage, wife and kids to try and provide a decent standard of life for them along with most of the rest of the population, there are other people on the island who have bucket loads of cash.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

tried their bread once, it was so hard most went out to the birds and we never bought any more :lol:

I find that their bread keeps well for at least a day or two. After that it's maybe best as toast. And it makes great toast. Bread from many bakeries will often be hard after just a few hours.

Or were you comparing it to factory bread - which will often go mouldy before it goes hard?

30 minutes ago, pongo said:

I find that their bread keeps well for at least a day or two. After that it's maybe best as toast. And it makes great toast. Bread from many bakeries will often be hard after just a few hours.

Or were you comparing it to factory bread - which will often go mouldy before it goes hard?

it was just a cottage sort of loaf, crust so hard you could hardly cut it or chew it, maybe it was just it was bought from shoprite and maybe was old stock, but won't waste any more time on them, stick to M&S (Ramsey baked M&S recipe) or Ramsey thick wholemeal (or occasionally Hovis)

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

it was just a cottage sort of loaf, crust so hard you could hardly cut it or chew it, maybe it was just it was bought from shoprite and maybe was old stock, but won't waste any more time on them, stick to M&S (Ramsey baked M&S recipe) or Ramsey thick wholemeal (or occasionally Hovis)

I had some from the Manx produce tent at the show, I snuck out pretending to enjoy it and promptly fed it to a gull once outside, it was like chewing a cricket ball!

In general, IIRC rapid factory bread has that soft texture and very little chew because they add fat. Also often enzymes, sugar etc. IIRC all the fat helps to counter the dense uniform crumb which results from it being rapidly mechanically mixed (but I might have that wrong). Either way it's an industrial product designed to be made quickly and cheaply. But some people like that sort of 1960s bread product - or maybe that's what they are used to and expect from bread. I would rather go without.

Traditional bread is made from flour, salt and water + yeast culture fed on flour and water. Nothing else. Making it slowly helps it develop the natural flavours AFAIK.

Five minute wonder however understandable the are based here to avoid paying tax, they are no doubt enjoying the benefits of our low tax regime with its tax caps. That is What it is all about.          Bugatti the Manx firms that have paid tax for years. Why do you think Marksies, Boots etc weather it out.....tax not haven but very friendly.

yearall

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Five minute wonder however understandable the are based here to avoid paying tax, they are no doubt enjoying the benefits of our low tax regime with its tax caps. That is What it is all about.          Bugatti the Manx firms that have paid tax for years. Why do you think Marksies, Boots etc weather it out.....tax not haven but very friendly.

yearall

Quoted for all posterity.  Ferrari the lot of ye!

Well, whilst the tax regime is great for some companies, the stores you mention do EXTREMELY well over here Sid. There are often queues of trolleys to get into Tesco first thing in the morning - queues. 

Archived