Sports Direct IOM

ans

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 2112 said:

It will be worth visiting once finished in late August. They have added another floor to the building, which presumably you could gain access via staircases etc from the shops upstairs. There will be 3 good sized shops for the island, which makes sense in some respects, as before the acquisition of the Strand many Manx buyers either bought from stores in the UK or bought online with postage/delivery to the island. I don't think Mike Ashley is an idiot. Unconventional and alternative definitely. I doubt he has bought the Strand for a DED grant, as ultimately Sports Direct are the sort of organisation that would stand up to IOM Government nonsense and pathetic Tynpotwald grandstanding.

A Grant wouldn't be available. If you are referring to the 50m Development Fund then it would be taking an equity stake which of course SD don't need. 

Ashley is a smart business man. That's for sure.   The investment being made here should do him just fine.   I'm not a fan of the jumble sale type mess you often find in SD stores but you certainly can't complain about choice in store.  Loads of work has been done inside and it'll be interesting to see how it all looks.   The Strand always had very decent footfall too so no reason to expect it not to be very busy. 

44 minutes ago, notwell said:

The Strand always had very decent footfall too so no reason to expect it not to be very busy. 

Really?

Source?

The evidence in the Regeneration report was that north Strand Street, Castle Street and the Strand had poor footfall.

i call another nottie fake news event.

54 minutes ago, notwell said:

A Grant wouldn't be available. If you are referring to the 50m Development Fund then it would be taking an equity stake which of course SD don't need. 

Ashley is a smart business man. That's for sure.   The investment being made here should do him just fine.   I'm not a fan of the jumble sale type mess you often find in SD stores but you certainly can't complain about choice in store.  Loads of work has been done inside and it'll be interesting to see how it all looks.   The Strand always had very decent footfall too so no reason to expect it not to be very busy. 

If it had decent footfall then why were there so many closed units in the Strand. Same goes for the other "shopping centre" in Castle Street. There are more offices than shops in there

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

If it had decent footfall then why were there so many closed units in the Strand. Same goes for the other "shopping centre" in Castle Street. There are more offices than shops in there

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Really?

Source?

The evidence in the Regeneration report was that north Strand Street, Castle Street and the Strand had poor footfall.

i call another nottie fake news event.

HMV was fairly popular and survived the initial cull of stores when the firm went into administration- the IOM store must have been one of the better performing stores, but the other posters are correct. Not many other stores have in all fairness lasted long, and the unit by what was Millets has been empty for a few years and the estate agents couldn't get rid of the lease. It was used during TT and FOM to screen dvds to bikers. I am assuming that SD bought the lease out, hence the building works. Once it's open it will be a great addition to the island and offers a) value for money and b) choice for the consumer. It also satisfies all types of consumers - those looking for cheap, cheerful and value, fashionistas and the sporty and designer geeks. Something for Everyone! At the end of the day, there is a choice - Douglas Centre or Tynwald Mills. 

Whilst the inside of the building is taking shape, I hope something is done with the outside, which looks like an exterior from the late 1980s a bit dated. It could do with cleaning and hopefully it may encourage others including Government to follow suit.

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Intersport or whatever they call themselves may as well shut their doors now

I like intersport as Charlie, the owner, has always been helpful to customers.  I'll probably still continue to shop there, but I'm sure most will go to JD, so you are probably right about it closing.

6 minutes ago, Bellefield said:

I like intersport as Charlie, the owner, has always been helpful to customers.  I'll probably still continue to shop there, but I'm sure most will go to JD, so you are probably right about it closing.

I must be honest I haven't been to Intersport for years. However you are correct, a store who give good customer service or know their customers will survive. With clothing, for me price plays a part. I find SD has a good range but doesn't always have my size in stock, so I go to the Nike Factory Store and get a bargain. On the island i have bought TVs etc from Colebourns. I could get it cheaper but their customer service is excellent and if I wish to swap and upgrade they allow it and they will deliver, set up and dispose of old equipment. I'm afraid some retailers or businesses have a take it or leave it attitude.

Intersport wasn't giving the customers what they wanted. I went in a few times and walked back out after a minute or so. Just lots of bland generic sportswear at high street prices. I could go next door to TK Maxx and get similar stuff much cheaper. Sportswear is now fashionwear and the shop didn't/doesn't reflect that. It's stuck in a time warp.

23 minutes ago, Bellefield said:

Intersport just needs to find a niche.  I'd imagine if it were a like for like then it would struggle, but there will be a place for the higher end stuff that I wouldn't go to SD for.  As an example- probably a shit one - TX Maxx sell branded products but I really like going to Esquires in town for some brand name stuff and good customer service.  If it finds it's niche, for example quality golf/cycling attire, I think there will still be a market for it's products and customer service.  

56 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Intersport wasn't giving the customers what they wanted. I went in a few times and walked back out after a minute or so. Just lots of bland generic sportswear at high street prices. I could go next door to TK Maxx and get similar stuff much cheaper. Sportswear is now fashionwear and the shop didn't/doesn't reflect that. It's stuck in a time warp.

Wasn't the point of them changing half the shop into a more fashion based place their attempt to move out of that time warp?

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Wasn't the point of them changing half the shop into a more fashion based place their attempt to move out of that time warp?

'Attempt' being the operative word.

I hope in the midst of fashion sportswear we don't lose sight of shops actually selling sports equipment like boots and gumshields etc

2 hours ago, Bellefield said:

I hope I'm wrong as they have always been fair with me

Archived