Viking Re-enactment

Stavros

2nd July 2005 to 3rd July 2005 Peel Castle, 10am to 4pm.

The largest Viking invasion for many years with members of the professional re-enactment group “The Vikings” setting up camp in Peel Castle. Visit the Castle and see what life was like in the Viking Age. On 2nd July 2005, the event includes the opportunity to watch a Viking Battle in the grounds of Peel Castle. The Battle commences at 2pm.

Source: Manx National Heritage 'What's On'

Stav.

I think Peel should hold an authentic herring gutting re-enactment from the late 19th century.

Get lots of young girls lined up along the harbour slicing open the foul-smelling creatures.

For a bit of fun they could start a fish guts fight which members of the public could join in. It would be great fun.

In time, this could attract fish gut-lovers from all over the world and really put Peel on the map. A bit like those tomato fights in Spain.

The Tomatina Festival

A festival that is held on the last Wednesday in August in the town of Bunyol in Valencia. A messy Tomato Battle in which thousands of pounds of ripe tomatoes serve as artillery for the fiesta-goers.

You think that we should have a Manx Tomatina. How about a Manx Charity Tomatina where we all throw tomatos at MHK's & MLC's?

But your suggestion would be a Manx Herring Gutina. Okay we all thow herring guts at the MHK's & MLC's.

Stav.

a viking re enactment is good fun. byt we should go the full hog.

they didnt have elecrticity in those days and we should imagine life with no electris. no computer or telephone or tv or radi or cars because the petrol pumps dont work. No anything really.

just kippers and boats it seems, it will be good fun :)

Good point!

Viking Food

'Horsemeat was spitted and roasted rather like a kebab.'

I could make a fortune at this event!

Perhaps kippers weren't on the menu but it looks like salted fish was the predecessor to kippers.

Stav.

yes salted herring would probably be known - air-dried aalted codfish might have been - became a well known portugese speciality, shellfish I'm sure would have been popular. Kebabed horsemeat would probably have tasted fine - it's a long time since I ate meat but I recall horseflesh as being sweeter than beef. - garlic and onions however no peppers or tomatoes (or chips) but good though probably very gritty bread made from various grains - barley more than wheat I would guess so somewhat heavier textured than todays 'white and healthy' junk.

Beer would probably been low-alochol though mead I suspect would have been somewhat more potent (and would probably leave you with a foul headache the next day) - buttermilk for most however.

Fresh fruit would have been apples (I suspect somewhat sour and small) and various berries (still a great treat in Scandinavia) - no sugar so honey provided the only generally available sweetener. The climate around 1000 AD was I think somewhat warmer than today - not sure if grapes would have reached the Island though, wine would have been traded for the wealthy

a viking re enactment is good fun. byt we should go the full hog.

Ye s, let's slaughter all the Peel menfolk, have our wicked way with the Peel women (or perhaps not!) and set fire to everything!

Hmmm, I can't see that going down too well with people in general... :D

So that means us Celt's, the few that are left, can go to Peel and carry on where we left off?

As in throwing rocks at the Vikings? Now that would be worth a day out :D

Archived