Summerland

FCMR

I don't think they'll be able to afford it after they've paid the MEAs loan int.....

I think they should just leave it as it is. Its not like we need any more stinky luxury appartments is it? a hotel?? thats a laugh, since WTF did anyone come here on their holidays? It is just typical of our pants government.

I think they should do it up.

I think it's quite safe to say I'm very much in the minority here as most people think it's a monstrosity of a building, but I rather like it and will be sad to see it go, especially after so many happy memories ranging from my dad taking me & my brothers swimming in the aquadrome (as a treat instead of going to castletown baths!), to the happy, blurry nights of the cave and all the 5 to 2 lasses I've chatted up etc.

RIP summerland. :(

The owners of the clifftop houses have put a injunction on the demolition and have asked for a full report in to what will happen when they remove the current building and the support it has been providing the clifface (and their gardens) for the last 30 years :o quite afew big lawyers live in them hills :lol:

so i dont think much was going to happen anytime soon anyhow,

also the concrete they used was made with sand dredged from the sea at the point of ayre and if dont know what that means salt and minerals in the sand weakens the concrete and also that is why the 'skin' has blown/fell off to reveal the steel underneath.

also the concrete they used was made with sand dredged from the sea at the point of ayre and if dont know what that means salt and minerals in the sand weakens the concrete  and also that is why the 'skin' has blown/fell off to reveal the steel underneath.

What a load of crap. Who told you that?

also the concrete they used was made with sand dredged from the sea at the point of ayre and if dont know what that means salt and minerals in the sand weakens the concrete  and also that is why the 'skin' has blown/fell off to reveal the steel underneath.

What a load of crap. Who told you that?

say what you mean why dont you :P , back in the day when nearly all buildings were made from manx stone and lime a new form of construction was needed to build such a large building and keep internal areas free of supporting walls,

so a new method to the island of pouring liquid concrete into wooden shutters which had a steel reinforcing mesh already inside was used. sand and gravel drawn from the coast near the concrete boat (Point of Arye) was used to make concrete for the project and it was washed using seawater, it does not take a degree to work out that salt and steel dont mix, also the concrete was made without additives so the concrete is not waterproof so it soaks in seawater and rain which all in all has left the building in a dangerous state,

but hey what would i know my old man worked for parkinsons who built it

get off your horse

so a new method to the island of pouring liquid concrete into wooden shutters which had a steel reinforcing mesh already inside was used. sand and gravel drawn from the coast near the concrete boat (Point of Arye) was used to make concrete for the project and it was washed using seawater

Liquid Concrete is still poured into wooden shutters which has steel reinforcing mesh inside believe it or not :).

Sand is still drawn from the coast at the point of ayre as well. Dunno what the gravels washed with nowadays though but the sand will be full of salt. The same sand that's used for all buildings.

Isn't its more likely the concrete came to the end of it's life span.

Isn't its more likely the concrete came to the end of it's life span.

Although I'm not a builder, I kinda doubt that - this little baby is around the corner from my hometown:

echelsbacher.jpg

It's called the "Echelsbacher Bridge" and was made out of reinforced concrete in 1929 - still standing! And it's still the furthest spanning Melan Bridge in the world, what ever that means... On ze web

Only been to Summerland a couple of times - was amazed by the size of that thing - would be great to see it re-developed...

I'd like to see it rebuilt/redeveloped in a similar style for similiar purposes. I'd rather my cash go towards something like that than being wasted/lost/spent on other projects. What was the total estimated cost of the redevelopment?

. . . On ze web . .

mmhh yes, there used to be a chap on ze old forums who spoke very like Amadeus...

But anyway, there is much to be learnt about concrete:

In the 1970's it was rather trendy to finish concrete buildings off with a mechanical hammer with a sort of chisel attached. This was intended to give the finish a more 'natural' look. It did take the smooth finish off the concrete though, however this in turn made it susceptible to water/ frost =damage. It also reduced the cover over the reinforcing.

The Summerland building being situated in a particularly harsh environment didn't stand a chance. The zig-zag profile of the concrete panels didn't help either.

_/.\_/.\_/.\_/.\_/.\_/.\_

so it wasn't long before salt water starting exposing and eating into the re-inforcement. A severe design fault.

post-233-1120379965_thumb.jpgpost-233-1120379983_thumb.jpg

Its not the best sand and gravel for the job anyway - well rounded little balls of stone are not as good as jaggy stones and shell sand you find in other parts of the country. It's the difference between building a structure that will last say 25 years or 250 and more years.

sand and gravel drawn from the coast near the concrete boat (Point of Arye) was used to make concrete for the project and it was washed using seawater

cant belive for a moment it was washed with seawater, that would make the washing proccess kind of pointless, and it would cause big white blooms to appear all over the finished concrete as the salt leached out over time. Anyway the place is a bloody eyesore so I'm glad its falling appart might make it easyer to pull down.

Is the redevelopment of the Summerland site to be shelved ;)  ;)

From Manx Radio news today:

"Tynwald looks set to approve one of the final steps in getting rid of the Summerland complex on Douglas Promenade on Tuesday.

Tourism and Leisure Minister David Cretney will ask permission to spend £1.8 million pounds to go ahead with demolition.

He’ll also ask the court’s permission to borrow more than half a million pounds over a 20 year period to go towards the cost of pulling down the structure."

Archived