Food4less

Tempus Fugit

Since the take-over of Morrisons/Safeway by Shoprite it is sad to see how quiet it is in there.

Was the first mistake buying it.

Was the second mistake closing for so long to shuffle the shelves and not just doing it 'on the fly' or overnight, losing the previous customers to other stores in the mean time.

Was the third mistake not keeping the source of the greengrocery supplies the same, as that seems to be the worst aspect of the new store, the veggies and flowers from the local supplier don't keep as well as the Morrisons did. (Morrisons still bring supplies to the Island for their other store so it would make sense to drop off in Douglas as well)

Are they trying to apply a sticking plaster to the problem by trying to sell other types of goods as well as food?.

Do they really need three stores within a couple of miles of eachother.

(On a similar theme, why is the sell-by date on food in M&S so short or even past date, there is nothing anywhere as long as a week)

At least now we still have the chance of a 'Morrisons-fix' if we take an occasional trip to Ramsey !

What do you think ?

Is Food4less going to still be open in

a week,

a month,

6 months,

a year ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard a bunch of stuff about shoprite, one of em being that the big store in douglas is going to close, which might help the new one.

I agree with you about the fruit n veg, robinsons suck arse, I go to Tesco.

They probably bought Morrisons in Douglas to take one more supermarket out of the loop and increase traffic to their newly branded outfit and their existing outfits!

Unfortunately for the owners it has not worked.

They have done Tesco the biggest favour without Tesco even trying, and it is the only place we now shop, we have never set foot in Food4less as it's just another Shoprite, yet we always used Morrisons.

Don't hold your breath about Morrisons in Ramsey either as that is still up for sale and they will offload it as soon as they get a buyer. Morrisons have done the Island no favours and we were well served by Safeway without any problems before they sold out to Morrisons :angry:

Last Ten

it just looks like a really sad tired run-down old dosshouse; safeway was ok, now all this 'cheapo' stuff just reminds me of some discount place that won't be around next month. Why they need to boast in the ads that their fresh food is guaranteed fresh is beyond me...it's a bit like total boasting yes our petrol is really petrol

Haha your messages made me laugh......

Over here we have Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Kwiksave, Somerfield, Lidl Aldi and Netto all very close to each other.....

The latter 3 are absolute naff..... cereals are like cardboard, most of the tinned stuff is foreign and its yuk..... who on earth eats from there every week?

I stick to Tesco and Morrisons.

:o Aldi for teh win! You made the mistake of buying actual food there....and you're still alive? Their booze is the only reason to go, 1.99 for a bottle of vermouth, 3.99 for a bottle of tequila and pretty much no alcohol that is more expensive than a fiver...and surprisingly none of it tastes like paint stripper (although i could just be too drunk to notice!)

think you're right chopley, you having childer is a benefit of shopping at tesco but on a cost basis they're very clever at pricing and getting you to buy lots of stuff, which is why you find families are better there. for us single people tho, they can play some sneaky tricks; take their '3 for 1.90' juice offer; it only applies when you buy all three of the same flavour, not the range (which shoprite do). Tesco are also doing a 2 for £5 cap colombie coffee offer but they price the kenco premium brand coffee at more than 20p more than shoprite..what I'm saying is you could do with visiting probably all of them if you wanted to get the best value

Haha your messages made me laugh......

Over here we have Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Kwiksave, Somerfield, Lidl Aldi and Netto all very close to each other.....

The latter 3 are absolute naff..... cereals are like cardboard, most of the tinned stuff is foreign and its yuk..... who on earth eats from there every week?

Yeah! Lidl and Aldi! Good German products, cheap! Loving it (guess that answers your question :) )

Been ages since I went to F4L - think it was still called Safeway at the time - usually Tesco (cause it's around the corner) or, if I'm feeling posh, Marks and Sparks - they still sell the best food...

I used to be pro-Shoprite but I've slowly started moving towards the Tesco camp. They just seem to have that better range, and there always seems to be something new I can eat when I shop there.

They also stock very little Manx produce and that is their biggest downfall in my opinion. It stops me shopping there on a regular basis and I know it stops others too.

Speaking personally, if they made some alternative buying decisions - taking into account many of the products that we do very well - and stocked more local produce then I would not shop anywhere else. I know many other would feel the same way.

But then again - that brings about its own problems doesn't it.....

I prefer to buy local. Simons right, a lot of the Robinsons stuff does seem to come from across, Carrots, Brocolli, Fruit and other stuff. Its mostly spuds, cabbage and turnips that seem to be frequently Manx. Obviously seasonal change plays a large part in it, but its by no means all Manx. I buy meat from the butchers and the small amount of fish i eat from the fish shop - so for all the other stuff it doesn't matter.

On a similar subject, are there any farm-shops where you can buy veg? I know there's the pick-you-own place on the way to the Liverpool Arms but are there any others?

I'm actually quite tempted to try this Tesco online, how fast can they deliver?

Archived